Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fbody in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My TA is ok in the rain and I have worn Nittos in the back...
Old 11-09-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

I did experience some scary times witht the eagles.... but i also burned a lot of rubber off of em. I have P-zeros now and they seemt to handle great, not nearly as scary.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RAIDER
I've seen people say these cars suck in the rain
They suck in the rain because the people who seem to have issues or the ones that wreck them don't drive them like it's wet out.

Never had an issue ever, and I run drag radials year round for the last 4 yrs and it rains down here in FL.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Teching In

My car go's year around in the snow and rain, and i have never had any problems.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yours is a 6 right? These V8 guys give a little too much throttle when it rains/snows. I've driven in torrential downpours with no problems, put hazards on, slow lane and going at about 25mph since I couldn't see 3 feet in front of me. Try parallel parking in the snow on a hill, now that is a challenge.

The Z hasn't seen snow though but my old T/A did. Never again, especially after cleaning all that salt mess. Looked like I had went to the beach.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer88
Never had an issue ever, and I run drag radials year round for the last 4 yrs and it rains down here in FL.
what d/r do you run, i'm guessing nitto.maybe bf goodrich. Cause with mickey thompsons, standing water is your worst nightmare. I've gone 25 mph, on a 65 mph interstate, i kept coasting it down to a safe speed but had to pull over cause it was fish tailing so bad, even on roads out were i live i've gone 15-20 mph in 4thgear barely given it throttle or even letting it coast, it will still fish tail., with no throttle at all. I know there not supposed to be use for the rain, but sometimes **** happens and you get stuck on the way home.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nitto's yes, my skinnies are going back on the car next week along with 2 fresh 15" Nitto's and I run Nitto's on my stockers for summer.

BFG's are bad in rain, MT drags are death in rain. I have my MT's for the track only on another set of Convo Pro's, I run my Welds with Nitto's. Regardless whatever tires anyone runs, you need to drive these cars easy in the rain. People who wipe these cars out are NOT going the limit or below.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

I havent had any problems. Obviously you can't go WOT or the tires spin like crazy, but that is expected. Comparing it to any other car ive owned i would say it is no different. Ive had 2 other rwd cars a 94Z28 and a 87 cutlass V8 and 3 fwd cars and i think its all the same, except for the excess power.

We will see about this winter though...I hope the snow tires I bought do good.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Launching!

I have ABSOLUTELY NO problem in the rain or occasional light snow(like it actually snows much in E. TN, but I am easy on the gas. However, I have always run all-season tires. Just drive like a reasonable person and you'll be fine, assuming you are not running slicks.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I was running GS-D3's, they stuck in the rain nearly as good as they did on dry pavement ... awesome tire, but, pricey.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive been caught in the rain once on slicks and that was a scurry ride , but on a street tire i dont have to much of a problem, just have to take corners slow..
Old 11-10-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
I lost control doing 25 mph on 3 different occasions, twice was in my old Eclipse. I did a 360 before I got control, VERY frightening. Fbods in rain DONT mix.
Give me a break! If you can't handle an Eclipse in the rain you need to give up your driver's license.

Fbody's in the rain are just fine. Its the shitty *** drivers behind the wheel of the car that doesn't mix well with the rain.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
I lost control doing 25 mph on 3 different occasions, twice was in my old Eclipse. I did a 360 before I got control, VERY frightening. Fbods in rain DONT mix.
Learn how to drive. If my MOM can drive a V8 powered F-Car though Illinois WINTERS for 8 years, any fool should be able to drive in the rain . . . good greif . . Some of you people amaze me . . .
Old 11-10-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have an issue and its raining now. Being an M6 i can short shift and or 1,3,5 or 1,2,4..i just usually drive in 4th in the rain to keep the rev down. now my 3spd 79 is a whole other issue lol BANZI!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Launching!

No problems with rain with my kumho's. This car is better than my old 5.0 fox mustang. Snow isn't too bad either... you just can't drive like an idiot.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

So many people don't slow down in rain, but then there are others who slow to the point of creating a hazard. I'm noticing that more even under dry conditions-mostly seniors and cell phone users.

But as some have mentioned, I don't drive the TA in rain or snow because I hate cleaning it afterwards. Especially if you have to drive through construction zones in rain.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Learn how to drive. If my MOM can drive a V8 powered F-Car though Illinois WINTERS for 8 years, any fool should be able to drive in the rain . . . good greif . . Some of you people amaze me . . .
No kidding my Mom does just fine in her BMW up in CT.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

i to have the m/t drag radials and my car does see the rain because it is my daily driver. there has been a few time that the *** end has slid out and caught me off guard but it wasnt to bad. i just lere the tcs on and drive almost normal with little or no worries
Old 11-10-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

I HATE it when these cars get such a stigma from non-car people about being bad in the rain. It will be fine as long as you simply drive it like a normal car! Now if you're trying to be Dale Earnhardt and race around getting on it, of course it's going to suck. Keep your foot out of it, drive safely, and don't be stupid and the car will be just fine.

I drove my 00 Z for two years in the rain, sleet, and snow and never had much of a problem unless there was just a sheet of ice on the roads (which in that case, EVERY car on the road had problems).

Be sensible and you're just fine.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
I HATE it when these cars get such a stigma from non-car people about being bad in the rain. It will be fine as long as you simply drive it like a normal car! Now if you're trying to be Dale Earnhardt and race around getting on it, of course it's going to suck. Keep your foot out of it, drive safely, and don't be stupid and the car will be just fine.

I drove my 00 Z for two years in the rain, sleet, and snow and never had much of a problem unless there was just a sheet of ice on the roads (which in that case, EVERY car on the road had problems).

Be sensible and you're just fine.

...and then some! If you are going to be an asshat and get on it in poor conditions, then you better have the right tires for the job! ET Streets/MT or BFG DRs are not going to cut it. Something like Goodyear D3s or Toyo T1Ss would, to a point . If you insist on driving like a mental patient in the rain then I suggest going to something like the Hoosier Sports Car Radial Wets, which might still be useless in real deep puddles, besides costing rediculous $$ and wearing out in the dry in < 1000 miles!!