Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

anyone with weld 15x5's on front??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default anyone with weld 15x5's on front??

Rather than having the 3.5 wide on the front, I was thinking of just getting 5" wide. Since the car is a daily driver and sees the track maybe 3 times a season. they only offer the draglites 5" wide with a backspacing of 3.5"

Anyone have these on the front? would they fit? they would stick in .25" farther than the skinnys. thats ok as long as they clear with 5/16 spacers i have. Im just wondering if anyone had probs w/ them

And also what size tire to run to achieve the 26" height.

Its a 99 T/A factory brakes.

thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

meats are made for the back! run the skinnies! no but seriously ive daily driven my junk with 15x3.5s for a while now and it handles better with those than it does the stock wide wheels...dont fear the skinnys, theyre not bad at all...JMO
Old 11-20-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can make the 5" ones fit. You wouldn't have much caliper left after all of the grinding. Also with the 3.5s, don't take any curves/turns fast. Evasive lane changes could be interesting as well with a tall, narrow tire on the front.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

i have 3.5" prostars on now, I dont want to be careful driving around corners and have to watch out for rough roads. I drive this car rain or shine, roadtrips, ect... It isnt my drag car, but sometimes it plays the part. Thats why im leaning towards the wider ones. 5" are hardly meats.

Why would you have to grind anymore from the calipers? explain. I ground them once and the 3.5"s fit, but where they rubbed before wasnt the outside. Are you sure the 5"s wont fit? or just assuming? I'd like facts.
So what everyone is saying, the 3.5" skinnys are the only weld rims that will fit the front in a 15" rim?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

I'd like to hear this answer as well! Seems logical that they would fit, but...............
Old 11-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Banned

go with skinnies i love them,put some zo6 wheels on foe 3 hours and i hated them
Old 11-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

I let my friend run my 15X5s on front of his (LT1) firebird.
It requires a spacer.
the offset is more on a 5 than it is on a 3.5.
if you want to run a spacer, you can run the 5s.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cheater
go with skinnies i love them,put some zo6 wheels on foe 3 hours and i hated them

I have skinnys on now. My car is driven harder than most 4x4's

Also, My skinnys fit on my freinds LT1 with less spacer. So I'd still like to know if the 5"s will fit an LS1 front end. With the backspacing the 5"s are with a 5/16 spacer they will sit perfect. Im only concerned about how much clearance between the brakes if any different than the skinnys.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would first consider what tire you are using. I don't believe there are many choices with a 15x5" wheel...certainly you can stuff many tires on a wheel...just make sure it is meant to fit.

The setup you are considering will be very heavy. It will prove to be a terrible choice for the track and a terrible choice for the street. I would highly advise re-thinking your choices.

If you do not like the skinny tires, I would reconsider your wheel choices completely and choose something for handling instead...when you want to go to the track then put the slicks on.

If weight is still a consideration as to reasoning then...

Another option is to consider a light-weight road race setup like our road race wheels (not certain of your price range). I can build you 15" RR wheels which are built MUCH better...hard comparison though when considering an economy built wheel to our high-end wheels...once again, I certainly would not consider even a skinny 5" wheel for your front wheel using our wheels to meet your goals.

Hope this helps,

Good luck on your decision,

Steve
Old 11-23-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Weight? its a daily driver/work car. right now i have a set of prostars, 15x 3.5's, 15x8's with slicks, I also have a pair of 15x8 draglites with BFG drag radials, which are not that heavy. Im not worried about tire sizes because im sure there are several that will work without a problem. Im not switching rims to something else, I dont want to run skinnys. Instead of telling me what I should do, why cant anyone just answer the question?

Im not interested in Bogarts or any handling wheel. the car is a daily driver. I drive to work, the store, or maybe a few states away. I dont want to switch wheels all the time, thats what im doing now. I have a set of prostars w/ slicks & skinnys and a set of firehawk wheels. I'm now getting a 3rd set of wheels, drag radials and regular tires for the front on weld draglites. I have the rears already... Now I need to know if 15X5 weld wheels will fit the front? thats all.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by steve10
The setup you are considering will be very heavy. It will prove to be a terrible choice for the track and a terrible choice for the street. I would highly advise re-thinking your choices.

how could this be heavier than my stock wheels? why would this be bad? explain... I have to hear this. If you have any idea what your talking about you'll know that the front 15x5's welds with tires will be way lighter than a stock wheel. Based on that comment I dont think i'd be interested in any more advise you have to offer. No offence but that was about the dumbest thing i've heard in awhile and sounds like your grasping at straws to try and desperatley sell me something.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
how could this be heavier than my stock wheels? why would this be bad? explain... I have to hear this. If you have any idea what your talking about you'll know that the front 15x5's welds with tires will be way lighter than a stock wheel. Based on that comment I dont think i'd be interested in any more advise you have to offer. No offence but that was about the dumbest thing i've heard in awhile and sounds like your grasping at straws to try and desperatley sell me something.
I'm not trying to convert you to a Bogart user...just trying to give you helpful information. You are incorrect in your assumption. Considering wheel design and engineering is my trade I do have a very strong background and understanding of the products we design as well as other manufactures designs.

I have attempted to steer you and give you advice though you do not want to hear it. So I won’t bother you anymore with details.

NEVER once did I state it was heavier then your stock wheels…but now that you brought it up, the weight differences will be small though handling characteristics will be obviously a large difference when you try it.

The tire combination your using is underdeveloped. If you're using a 275/50 or a 26x11.5 on your rear...you've got it setup incorrectly. The front, certainly you can stuff any size front tire on that 5" wheel...but will it be correct?

With the setup your considering, you'll be adding ~20-30 lbs of rotational weight...most of it will be located in the worst location...look up polar moments of inertia for an explaination of what i'm referencing if your interested. Don't run that setup with the slicks in the back unless you like the unpredicability of a mixing bias and non-biased tires together.

Maybe others can help you now since you do not want help from a highly qualified person.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving,

Steve

Last edited by steve10; 11-23-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

I just dont plan on sending my car into space, if these wheels weigh 6 oz. more 6 lbs more i dont really care. If theres a set of steel wheels I like...I'll run them. If these wheels are so bad of a selection and such an engineering disaster that they burst into a fireball at 80mph....I will still run them. At least I will look cool at 55mph.

I also dont understand how my wheel/tire selection is underdeveloped?? They are round and roll right? Im not using them as landing gear or plan on converting my T/A into a airplane or tundra crossing vehicle.

I do not need a set of wheels scientifically engineered and aproved by NASA.

I have 15x10's and 15x5's steel rally wheels on my nova. its a 4-link chassis car. It hasnt wrecked or spontaniously exploded due to my wheel selection. whats up with that? I understand wheel design and engineering are your trade, but the design and engineering of the wheel is not the issue. If anything is bad it is you giving people advice. You have nothing to back yourself up. Just a bunch of useless knowledge.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you are too ignorant to listen to sound advice, this one is closed . . .

Quick Reply: anyone with weld 15x5's on front??