Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

cheap tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap tires

I have a question about these tires the Yokohama AV1-40i 275-40-ZR17. before i go on I have checked the alinement balance and suspension pieces o my TA. i put them on last week in the front and when driving it to seems to follow the littlest groves in the road. at times it does jerk pretty bad, where ever it wants to go, it'll go. could cheap tires cause this?????
Old 12-09-2005, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EVIL TA
I have a question about these tires the Yokohama AV1-40i 275-40-ZR17. before i go on I have checked the alinement balance and suspension pieces o my TA. i put them on last week in the front and when driving it to seems to follow the littlest groves in the road. at times it does jerk pretty bad, where ever it wants to go, it'll go. could cheap tires cause this?????

Could cheap tires cause this?.... No, but the style or tread pattern of any tire could have a little part, but it should not be noticeable, like your describing. Also, if the belts are broken(aka tire separation) in the tire then it would cause such actions. First have the tires checked for defects, then suspension for out of alignment and any worn out parts. Also I have heard of these actions when the steering box on the older cars have worn parts. Since (I am guessing you have 98+ T/A) you should have rack-n-pinion set and I dont know if worn out parts for that setup would cause the same problems, like the old steering box setups.

Good luck fixing your problem!! Hope this helps

later
Old 12-09-2005, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

I had those same tires, it is just the road surface bro. don't worry. The tread grabs every little road groove. I have since switched to the Falken 275/40/ZR 18's and they are a little better. Just look for the bad parts of the road and hold on tight when going over them. The lower 40 series sidewall might also have something to do w/ it. My stock tires never did that once, then again they were 245/55/16's.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Launching!

its a 99 t/a. i guess i'll get that checked out thanks guys. i hope i can find out whats wrong with it.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01MMMZ28
it is just the road surface

Well, thats true -- if your driving on bad roads, the road surface will cause your car to pull or jerk in one direction or another.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Launching!

but the thing is it never did it before i was running like a 235 or a 245 in the front and i thought it would look better but maybe i should go back down a size or two. but everyone runs 275 in front and know one complains about this? thats weird???
Old 12-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Banned

Wider tires will do that. No one complains cause it's the nature of the beast. You want wide tires you deal with it.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

but the thing is it never did it before i was running like a 235 or a 245 in the front and i thought it would look better but maybe i should go back down a size or two. but everyone runs 275 in front and know one complains about this? thats weird???

hummm......there should not be any problem with running 275/40r17 on all four corner of you T/A. That is what the stock Firehawks and SS come with on all corners. Also I have ran 275/40R17 on my Z28s and I run them right now on my 92 RS, so it is not the size of the tire that is the problem.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Launching!

could the rack and pinion be causing this? im running 315's in the rear.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

could the rack and pinion be causing this? im running 315's in the rear.

far as if the rack-n-pinion is causing the problem, I can't answer that. All I know is on the old cars they had steering gear boxes and when the would get worn out then these kind of actions sometimes took place. But far as the rack-n-pinion, I don't really know if the same thing happens or not.

But I did get to thing about something, I not sure if the Fbodys have it or not.....but on the GMC & Chevrolet Trucks and SUVs (I know the 1995-1999...not sure about any other year) had a magnetic disc thing in the steering wheel, that would go bad. When it would go bad it would kind of jerk the steering wheel, but it would not be all the time. It would be working fine then out of nowhere the steering wheel would jerk or feel like something just gave out in the column. Like I said I don't even know if the Fbody have this or not, but if so this could have some effect.

far as the 315s in the rear this would not cause any problems....the rack-n-pinion is just for the front steering.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Launching!

It's just the nature of wider tires.

Just like how wider tires = less traction in the rain(when comparing 2 of the same tread designs).
Old 12-11-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

it's just the width of the tires vs the ruts in the rods. most cars, overall, have skinny tires. minivans, compacts, etc... have something in the range of 205-225 width tires. so, over the years, the roads get grooves in them. weight of the vehicles make the asphalt compact and you get grooves. now, you have a tire that's about 2" wider than the "normal" width tires. your wider tires don't 'fit' into the grooves. and that's where the jerking around comes from. also, the wider tires, usually come in a higher performance rating. when a tire has higher performance ratings, this usually means there are more things built into the tire that makes it stiffer in the sidewall areas as well. less flex in the tire makes it more responsive to input. whether it be driver or road conditions. same goes for shorter sidewalls.

for instance, the base z28 comes with 245/50-16 = 25.7" tall. the SS comes with 275/40-17 = 25.7" tall. both are the same exact diameter. one has a one inch taller rim. so, to keep them the same overall height, you shorten the sidewall to achieve this. now, with shorter sidewalls, there's less flex. better cornering is the good thing. more road 'feel' is the bad.

different brands of the same size tire try to make their tire perform to one aspect or the other. yokohama makes a really stiff sidewall. firestone makes their tire have more flex in their sidewall. try to make it more comfortable for the user of the tire.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Launching!

this past weekend i did put the stock tire and rims back on and took it around the block. it didnt do it. i was suprised. i guess i'll have to run one size smaller than a 275. that sucks. thanks for the suggestions and comments........thanks alot.....