Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Cannot decide on wheels and cannot afford FM5s

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot decide on wheels and cannot afford FM5s

I am driving a 99 Formula Firebird (white) with a few extras (its lowered)
and I need to find some wheels but 3k is too much

I was considering ZR-1 wheels but now I am unsure
and would like to find something more unique (and higher quality than the AFS??)

I have looked all over the web, and have yet to find anything even comparable to the FM5s other than HRE (more $$)

I am interested in either five stars or basket weave wheels

would like to spend about 1500-2k, hopefully closer to the 1500

any ideas?

if this forum did a powerbuy on fiske FM5s I would be IN!!!!

I do kind of like the genises boyds
http://www.billetwheel.com/cgi/wheel...es&img=12&tn=1

Last edited by kny3twalker; 03-25-2006 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

ok those wheels from Boyds I have decided against

but I would really like some input
I would either like to run 17x11R, 17x9.5F OR 18x10R, 17x10F OR 17x10 all around or 18x10 all around

since I am not getting much in replies I guess 2k would be a better budget

I have seen the CCWs and really liked them, but two things concern me
1. the price is still just right outside my budget, so if anyone knows any dealers which can get a better price or maybe some of their 17" wheels, please let me know
2. care for the wheels.....
Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

well this kinda sucks replying to my own posts AGAIN

I am considering Bonspeed Deltas, OEM Grand Sport Wheels (from Dal Slabaugh), maybe the CCW SP500s or 505As
I had thought about the Classic from CCW and the Boyd Timeless 2 and Rebels

if I do go with a 10" wheel on the Deltas, what would be the best tire size for either 18s or 17s?

and does anyone know if CCW still makes 17"s, at all?

any opinions at all?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Personally, i love the bonspeed deltas. My dad has some bonspeed crokus wheels on his corvette and they totally rock! Bonspeed is my vote!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

How about Boyd Rebels. I wanted FM5's too but I really love these now! And only spent 1/2.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Hate to say it, but if you're looking into CCWs you may as well just go with the Fikse'. You're going to spend relatively the same amount of $$ either way you cut it.

Look around at Budnik, Intro, Simmons (Speed Inc has them) and Boze too. iForged is another company, but if you're wanting to keep this affordable, then I dont think this is going to really be an option unless you go used (being they're right up there with Fikse and CCW)

I wanna say MTI is a Fikse dealer, and they may be able to help you out and get a little bit cheaper price on wheels.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.billetspecialties.com/pro...id=16&scid=132

BS makes some decent looking wheels. They have a street smart line (http://www.billetspecialties.com/pro...id=16&scid=132)

They are cheaper than the rest of their wheels and for 17x9.5 and 17x11 w/ fbody offsets are less than 1500.

Everyone doesn't like them, even I decided not to go with them.... but i had a bigger budget than you seem to be working with. If I had been limited to 1500... would have went with these or TT2's.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

CCW has different lines of wheels. The 3-piece forged classic runs about $1900 for the set and you can get them in any sizes you want.

Problem with the F-Body is that most wheels don't look good on it. I'd pay the extra money for the extremely lightweight, very strong, and good looking CCW Classics.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome thanks for all the replies

Personally, i love the bonspeed deltas. My dad has some bonspeed crokus wheels on his corvette and they totally rock! Bonspeed is my vote!
cool, the deltas are sweet wheels; I just never see anyone rolling on them.
so I wondered if there was something about them people did not like???

Hate to say it, but if you're looking into CCWs you may as well just go with the Fikse'. You're going to spend relatively the same amount of $$ either way you cut it.
well about 1000 dollars I see as a big difference; it would be the difference between getting the best tires I want and buying much cheaper ones

Look around at Budnik, Intro, Simmons (Speed Inc has them) and Boze too.
thanks I will look into them

iForged is another company, but if you're wanting to keep this affordable, then I dont think this is going to really be an option unless you go used (being they're right up there with Fikse and CCW)
I knew the iForged were priced about the same as the fikse wheels
I would personally rather buy CCW than iForged, just for price sake

I wanna say MTI is a Fikse dealer, and they may be able to help you out and get a little bit cheaper price on wheels.
I will take a look at them again, but they seemed too high last time I looked

http://www.billetspecialties.com/pr...cid=16&scid=132

BS makes some decent looking wheels. They have a street smart line (http://www.billetspecialties.com/pr...cid=16&scid=132)

They are cheaper than the rest of their wheels and for 17x9.5 and 17x11 w/ fbody offsets are less than 1500.

Everyone doesn't like them, even I decided not to go with them.... but i had a bigger budget than you seem to be working with. If I had been limited to 1500... would have went with these or TT2's.
well I am willing to push the budget to 2k and the CCWs are 2600(2250 Classics) and I am still considering them

and I absolutely hate the Cragar/Torq Thrust look

the STP15s were not bad but others wheels looked better, just checked out their site (Billet Specialites)

CCW has different lines of wheels. The 3-piece forged classic runs about $1900 for the set and you can get them in any sizes you want.
from where? please reply with where you saw them for that much

Problem with the F-Body is that most wheels don't look good on it. I'd pay the extra money for the extremely lightweight, very strong, and good looking CCW Classics.
well, shouldn't all these wheels be strong highquality and light since they are all billet? (excluding the OEM GS wheels)

one question are all of these billet wheels, non clear-coated? meaning cleaning will be a PITA? and with the Classics from CCW if I had them brushed or shotpeened would that make them more daily driver friendly when it comes time to cleaning?

EDIT:

I just looked at those other suggested wheels

http://www.introwheels.com/pages/w_.../gt_sport.shtml

the GT sport remind me of CCW/iForged 5 five stars, I do like all three
one thing I just noticed though was that they offered a stepped or rolled lip, which looks better/tougher on a Firebird?

http://www.thewheelconnection.com/p...e&brandsearch=1

Boze Stix is pretty pricey, I think the CCW would be the better option between these two wheels

http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cf...els%20/%20Tires

the F series from Simmons is nice looking but no price is available at speed Inc

the budniks reminded me of the boyds, I mean they are nice wheels but I think I would almost rather have the bonspeed

hey Juiced2000SS can you take a closer up picture? I have yet to really see these wheels up close other than in the boyd catalog

Last edited by kny3twalker; 03-28-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A buddy of mine has the Budnick hammers on his NBM SS and they are very nice. I think they were $1800 direct from them in the 17X9.5/11 combo.... I really dont think they look like a Boyd wheel at all.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Yeah, the reason that you hardly see the bonspeeds around is that the company has only been doing wheels for a couple years. but you can trust me, they are amazing quality! My dad is actually best friends with the owner of bonspeed, so we have them on quite a few cars, and my dad runs a body shop where he puts bonspeeds on every car they do. Not a single complaint yet! If you look at their website they have a ton of pics of cars with their wheels. However they are not clearcoated, so you will have to polish them occasinally, but if you keep them out of crappy weather some good glass cleaner is really all you will need most of the time.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

How about the American Racing Rebels?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

These are somewhat similar in appearance to the FM5's, and come in 9.5 widths:

They can be found here:

http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?...9.5&Prod2P=159
Old 03-28-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey DamanSS you got any pics you can throw up with the Deltas on your camaro (by your pic in your sig it looks like you have the deltas) they look pretty cool but your pic in sig is obviously small so let post em up if you got em
Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

A buddy of mine has the Budnick hammers on his NBM SS and they are very nice. I think they were $1800 direct from them in the 17X9.5/11 combo.... I really dont think they look like a Boyd wheel at all.
well I spent a few days looking over the boyds and the styling between the two wheel companies is simliar IMO, much like the iForged five star looks like a CCW SP500

Yeah, the reason that you hardly see the bonspeeds around is that the company has only been doing wheels for a couple years. but you can trust me, they are amazing quality! My dad is actually best friends with the owner of bonspeed, so we have them on quite a few cars, and my dad runs a body shop where he puts bonspeeds on every car they do. Not a single complaint yet! If you look at their website they have a ton of pics of cars with their wheels. However they are not clearcoated, so you will have to polish them occasinally, but if you keep them out of crappy weather some good glass cleaner is really all you will need most of the time.
I was looking at buying them from newstalgia wheels, but if you know of somewhere better to buy them from, let me know
also the time frame concerns me somewhat (3-5 weeks), but I am really leaning toward them currently

do you know if the brushed or color forged differs from the polished wheels and their routine polishing required?

How about the American Racing Rebels?
thank you but really looking for a higher quality lighter weight wheel

These are somewhat similar in appearance to the FM5's, and come in 9.5 widths:

They can be found here:

http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp...=9.5&Prod2P=159
same as above, but thank you for the reply (all are appreciated)

also I want no less than 10" in the rear

hey DamanSS you got any pics you can throw up with the Deltas on your camaro (by your pic in your sig it looks like you have the deltas) they look pretty cool but your pic in sig is obviously small so let post em up if you got em
I too would really like to see some pictures of them on a firebird

right now the Intro GT Sport

and Bonspeed Deltas

seem to be my favorites
(also seem to be a good price)

my next favorite would be the CCW Classic or SP500
Old 03-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Launching!

They are actually the Bonspeed Crokus, but they look similar.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Juiced2000SS
How about Boyd Rebels. I wanted FM5's too but I really love these now! And only spent 1/2.
Those look great! Fm5's are awesome, but no rim is worth that kinda money IMO unless I was loaded
Old 03-29-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

18x10 Polished Finish FWD Car $ 550.00 Add Tires • Buy Now!
18x9 Polished Finish FWD Car $ 550.00 Add Tires • Buy Now!

http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/wh...l.php?id=12166

The prices listed in this ad are sale prices. I hate to say it, but you're just not going to be able to get that type of wheel for the budget you're aiming for. You're gonna be over $2K for just the wheels, and you'll be closer to $3K with tires. About the only way you're going to be able to get a set of wheels of this caliber is if you luck out and find somebody who's selling a set used.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

I hate to say it, but you're just not going to be able to get that type of wheel for the budget you're aiming for. You're gonna be over $2K for just the wheels, and you'll be closer to $3K with tires.
wow I never said I wanted wheels and tires for 1500 to 2k?, I said specifically wheels

all the wheels I am considering are about 400 a wheel and up

18x10 Polished Finish FWD Car $ 550.00 Add Tires • Buy Now!
18x9 Polished Finish FWD Car $ 550.00 Add Tires • Buy Now!

http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/w...il.php?id=12166
if I get 18s they will be in the rear only

what would I be looking at for 17x10" all around or 18x10" and 17x10" combo shipped?

Thanks

They are actually the Bonspeed Crokus, but they look similar.
were those one-offed for you? cause the Crokus are 6 points in the Bonspeed catalogue

what size wheels are they?

Last edited by kny3twalker; 03-29-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I'd like to know where you found CCWs for $1900! Thats by far the cheapest Ive ever seen them for, brand new.

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
well about 1000 dollars I see as a big difference; it would be the difference between getting the best tires I want and buying much cheaper ones
As per the pricings Ive seen, there isnt a $1000 difference between Fikse and CCW. If someone's wanting $3500+ for Fikse'...they better have tires and everything included. They normally run pretty even, or slightly under what CCWs do. If someone's wanting THAT much for them...slap 'em.

Quick Reply: Cannot decide on wheels and cannot afford FM5s