Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

I'm completely Confused with Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm completely Confused with Tires

Hello,

I have been pondering tires since the day I purchased my very first RWD vehicle, a 1999 Camaro Z28. I currently have SS rims on this car with dry BFG. This car is my everydfay driver and the tires I have just suck in the rain. Yes I know the tires are made for dry weather only but that is what traction control is for, and control of the foot is for.

Now I have read many many many many threads on tires. The F1 good years look nice but I am going to be doing a lot of high milage driving because I am currently located in the Kansas City area for School.

Right now my focus is on a set of Winter snows and I am convinced that I should use a seperate set of tires for the winter. Now here comes the noob question #1 What is the best set of winter tires for the car, I am not going to go with Blizakks because it doesnt stay cold for a while and I am working on a semi limited budget and I am not going to put all seasons on the car. So what is the best rim and tire combination for a mid-western winter.

Also my BFG are pretty worn so when winter is over I need a new set of tires for Spring, summer and fall. I would appreciate a little help and some comparison with price, lifetime of tire, tread etc.

Thanks for the help
Tilly
Old 09-05-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

There is no one out there who can help me with my dilema.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know much about winter tires, but the GSD3's would do great for an all around performance tire
Old 09-05-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

GSD3's have a pretty horrible snow rating... great summer tires though
Old 09-05-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koncrete
GSD3's have a pretty horrible snow rating... great summer tires though

Yeah, do NOT drive your car with GSD3's if it's snowing. Great tire but completely worthless in the snow.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey

THank you for the help. It seems I am going to go for the Eagle F1-s once I haev the moeny for them. I know tire rack is recomending a 225/55-16 tire size, but I need to purchase a set of rims to fit that. What is that rim size 16x8 ??

Tilly
Old 09-05-2006, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Pick up a cheap set of 16x7 or 16x8 rims that you like and throw some Firestone Winterforce tires on it. They kick *** in snow and are way cheaper than Blizzaks and last a LOT longer. You give up a little bit of ice grip but the tradeoff is well worth it since they wear VERY well.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Just for reference I'm on my 9th camaro and have been driven 8 of them in the winter. I would recommend finding a cheap set of stock 16x8 rims. You will want 225/60/16 size tire. It is a little larger than stock but isn't close to rubbing. You will be off around 5mph at 70 (slow so don't get a ticket) Its off less if your going slower or more faster. The good part about that size is its common to alot of cars.($$) Go to your favorate tire stores and tell then you have $300 and want tires. You want a all season tire with as close to a truck tire tread as you can get. This will clear the snow form the tire better, hurts performance. Don't let them talk you into a performance tire because its a camaro.

Reason I would pick a allseason (truck tread) tire over a true snow tire. Snow tires are great in bad COLD weather. (yes I have some, had to try) They can have issues in hot weather. Like if your going on a road trip and want to burn up the cheap tires. The 225/60/16's ride really nice on long road trips and have better clearence. I have found that by the time true snow tires make a (big) difference is when the snow is too deep for a low camaro nose anyway. Last two points. With reg. allseason you can use them sooner in the season for rainy spring and falls too. (or just to save wear on $$ tires again) If you have to drive up a major hill regularly and its always icy get a set of snow tires......they are better, how much? I think there overrated for regular driving)

PS look at Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 great in the rain. (for the $ you save over goodyear you can get winter tires too)
Old 09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

All seasons SUCK in the winter!!! That's why you by dedicated SNOW tires!!! Have you actually used dedicated snows before? If you have you'll know it's a night and day difference between the two in snow. The Winterforce tires wear like a normal tire but grip awesome in snow and do very well on ice(and can be studded if that's legal in your state, not in MI though). I've had winter wheels with just normal all seasons and they're pointless. After I smashed up a truck on ice and got stuck several times I decided to go with snow tires and I haven't looked back yet.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Launching!

YES I HAVE SNOW TIRES>>>>Blizzak

I have driven camaros with summer only tires in major snow storms and keep it out of the ditch. Purchased a camaro at the end of December and drove it across the state in a major snow. Got a good deal though.

Actually I can drive a camaro with allseason tires in 2" or less snow faster than a full size 4 wheel drive too. (Yes I have one of those too) I like driving a camaro in bad weather. Anyone can drive a camaro fast in dry weather. You should see the face on fellow drivers when you pass them in a camaro in the snow.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm,

Well I am located in Kansas City now. Havent had a winter here yet. And I know I am not goign to be getting feet of snow.

Tilly

P.S. Thank you for the help, it has bee nquite informative, Still trying to make a decision on snows.