Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Plug, patch, or new tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug, patch, or new tire?

I have a sheet metal screw stuck in my tread (the lower part, the valley I guess you could call it) aber 1.25" inside from where the tread pattern starts. Over the last 2 days, the tire has lost 6 psi. Based on the screws position, do you guys think it's good enough to plug the tire, or should it be patched? Can it be patched even in that location?

I really don't want to buy two new tires, my rears are 315/35/17s and you all know how much those babies cost. I want the tire to last until at least the end of the year still.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran

I'd just plug it.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

patch it, don't plug it.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

patching is always better but usually costs more because you have to take the tire off the rim and all that. ive got two plugs in my tires and havent leaked since plus you can do it yourself. walmart sells the plug kit for like $10
Old 09-05-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you have on near you take it to a discount tire they will patch it for free, we use a plug patch combo(i know when you here plug you think gooey pull through) these plugs are RMA approved along with the patch, im not quite understanding where the hole is at on the tire, we use a pull through plug to cover all angles of the hole and the a patch to seal it up, then some repair sealer and your tire is like new again,
Old 09-05-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took it to the dealer that did all the work on my car so far, and after the serivce writer looked at it, he said it would be no problem to patch. So then I stand around for over an hour waiting for them to get busy. They didn't even lift it up yet when the techs decided it can't be patched....grrr... so I said...plug it then! They said they can't plug tires anymore, they dont' even carry plug kits. They adviced me to buy new tires instead...great, not what I want to hear. So, I go to this little tire place half mile down the road, figuring they might be able to plug it. They asked me "why plug it, we can patch it no problem". Within 10 mins the tire was patched and mounted again. They charged me 29 dollars, the dealer was gonna charge me 20...but oh well, should have just went there to begin with.

Lets hope it holds up. But I am due for a new set of tires soon anyways....that's the next project...researching the correct tire.

Thanks for the input guys!

Manny
Old 09-05-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats cool, 29 dollars, ouch
Old 09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, what SSilveSSurfer said. The plug is pulled through with some special glue. This glue vulcanizes the rubber plug and tire rubber together to keep water out and air in. Then, the patch is put on with the same glue and covered with repair sealer to protect the buffed area where the patch/plug is.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

good move .....no reason a tire cannot be plugged/patched as long as its not on the sidewall.....thats a fair amount of money though..its only 15$ or so here...which is like 17-18$ us now.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Got my tire patched at Belle Tire for free!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
good move .....no reason a tire cannot be plugged/patched as long as its not on the sidewall.....thats a fair amount of money though..its only 15$ or so here...which is like 17-18$ us now.
it cant be on the shoulder either, or the patch wont sit flush and would render useless, we used to charge 15.00 but now we do them for free
Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
it cant be on the shoulder either, or the patch wont sit flush and would render useless, we used to charge 15.00 but now we do them for free
Theres a lot of factors in order for the tire to be fixable, but thats another story. Its free if you bought the tires at Discount. If not, then your charged $15. Hell, we got this one guy for a $60 flat. Now it was a 24" chrome rim with a sensor mind you. It was a PITA. Most of the charge was for the liability if we break or scratch something.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 521 Likes on 375 Posts

Default Depends on how you drive

If you are going to run the car hard, get a new tire. Did you know that most law enforcement tires (patrol units) can not be plugged/patched?? Liability issues due to high speed. Failures are more likely to occur. Those administrative decisions are based on real life incidents, so take that into account as only you know how you drive and what risk you want to put yourself in. Personally I had my tire repaired on my old '96 Formula because I never drove it that hard. Even then, it was always on my mind that I didn't have a 'perfect' tire. I won't do that again. Peace of mind = new tire. Sorry, I know it will cost a small fortune.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Theres a lot of factors in order for the tire to be fixable, but thats another story. Its free if you bought the tires at Discount. If not, then your charged $15. Hell, we got this one guy for a $60 flat. Now it was a 24" chrome rim with a sensor mind you. It was a PITA. Most of the charge was for the liability if we break or scratch something.
correction, DTC does them for free, at least weve been told to, even if the tires arent purchased from us we do them for free, our main problem is getting people to sit around for the 2hr wait we have everyday, lol
Old 09-06-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a patch is wayyyy better than a plug and that gooey **** just makes a mess
Old 09-10-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I get my tires patched at a small local tireshop. I usually get charged $10 and usually tip the guy $5. I am usually in and out in 30 minutes.

One of my friends now works at Merchants, so he should be able to hook me up with most of my tire needs. I'll be playing musical tires & wheels next week, movng 14 tires between 12 wheels.
Putting my street tires on my brothers Z06 wheels then putting the z06's on my car, , putting my brothers tires and one of my spare pairs on my AFS of ZR1's, and putting my RII's on the mismatched ZR1's that are on my car now.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

If you drive normally (why do you own an LS1 car?), as in never much over the speed limit - patch it, no plug.

If you drive hard and see over 80 regularly, anything but a new tire = we-todd-did

Smart people learn from their mistakes, intelligent people learn from the mistakes of others.

Quick Reply: Plug, patch, or new tire?