Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Do NOT buy tires from Wal-Mart!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do NOT buy tires from Wal-Mart!

Here's my story:
I bought a set of Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires from Wal-Mart along with a road hazard warranty.This was in late '05 and we put approximately 20,000 miles on the car . The tire is a 60,000 mile tire. One of the tires picked 3 nails and was still holding but can you trust something like that on your car? I went in to have the car checked and they stated they would order a replacement in 3-5 business days. Well , that was almost 4 weeks ago.

I then proceed to track the actual tire manager and of course , it hasn't even been ordered. I had to bring the car back down there and show them which tire I even purchased because they couldn't figure it out even with a receipt! That was yesterday . Today, I am informed they can't get the tire they sold me and my only choice is to get an oddball tire. Obviously , this is not acceptable. I called a Good year dealer , and they stated that I can get one and it is still current , not discontinued. I then call THE store manager and he informs he will call me back .

When I get a call back , he tries to tell me the tire is discontinued and if I don't want an oddball , then "I'll have to buy one from a used tire place" , also informs me on a pro-rate that "I wouldn't get much of a credit anyway". mind you , There was 2/3 of the usefull tire life left! I basically called him out on this BS but they aren't going to do squat. If you are considering buying tires (especially an 800.00 set) , do NOT buy from Wal-mart!
Old 09-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd try another Wal-Mart. Sounds like those in charge there just don't know what their doing.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

I called corporate on this , they weren't very happy when I told them what happened. They really weren't happy when I told them they would never get another dime from me if they didn't make this right. One of the management in corporate will be calling me Tuesday. I'm not trying to pull a fast one but this is simply unacceptable.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

why not just fix the tire ? I've had over 3 patches in one tire, it still worked fine. So you would have 3 old tires and one new tire?

I'd tell them to fix it and forget about replacing it with an "discontinued" tire that you can still buy. haha.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

and there not discontinued, there production date is for late late next month, and then sale date is a few weeks after that, this is why i bought my 555r's
Old 09-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

They wouldn't fix the tire because of the Z rating and you're right , they're not discontinued. Wal Mart just doesn't want to replace them. I called another Goodyear dealer and they'll have the tire in next Tuesday. It just sucks that I paid for a road hazard warranty that is apparently not worth a damn. If the tire was broke down and patched , it would probably be ok but these dirtbags won't even do that.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You did the smart thing taking it over their heads. Corporate will get you fixed up, they value you alot more than someone they are paying and not thats paying them.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn that sucks. Just Tire here in MD hazard protection is a set price, replacement of tire, and took them just 1 day to order the tire and replace it. The only thing that sucks is I was about half life (no way I'd make 60,000 miles on these) on the other tire so need to buy another tire to match them for when I rotate them to the front.

Screw Walmart.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't know they sold tires
BTLFEDSS
Old 09-08-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

if they werent leaking whats the problem? we have plenty of cars come into discount tire and we pull nails theyre not leaking we bolt them right back up, also RMA only recommends that a tire be patched no more than 3 times, wal mart sucks i wouldnt have bought tires there in the first place, sorry ot hear about what happened
Old 09-08-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Judas
why not just fix the tire ? I've had over 3 patches in one tire, it still worked fine. So you would have 3 old tires and one new tire?

I'd tell them to fix it and forget about replacing it with an "discontinued" tire that you can still buy. haha.
u pick one thing up in tht tire and your speed rating is no longer.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

They're not leaking right now but they have went through the tire . I pulled one of the nails out and it leaked badly. Stuck it right back in the hole and it stopped. Not real safe.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I kinda Resent this remark against the TLE at walmart....I am a 4 year tech at our walmart and trust me u are dealing with a shitty TLE. I wouldnt not dare let that happen in mine. I am glad to say that i work at one of the best TLE's in the south eastern part of Alabama. Once in a blue moon do we get a REAL neglecting problem that cant be resolved easily. I'm sure u are just dealing with a shitty *** walmart. Sorry that u live around one and yes they do happen. So it doesnt really make me feel bad about my job that i have at the current moment. Cause there are bad and good busnisses of all kinds. So I'm sure if u took this up to a level u will be repected by a member of Walmart Stores Inc. and the problem will be resolved as u like. The store manager should handle it to a good degree if indeed it is a good Store manager. Hope things work out for u.
Also ive never had an issue with the speed on my tires. i have plugged 2 of them. I mean honestly....how often do u drive 150+? with a Z rated tire? I hardly ever get over 80 at a constant time period. I would take it to a respectible walmart and get a patch-plug used. Most of the speed rating yes is in the material holding the tread together and the sidewall from my understandings. But a simple plug wouldnt effect it to a degree where a normal driving person would see it. My tires catch hell from me but never have they seen 150+ at a set time. know what i mean? well goodluck again.
If the tire is a left side tire i have 2 Goodyear Eagle GS-C's both lefts in a 255/45zr17 if u could use them...I also have a 275/40zr17 for a left side. All three are brand new with stickers on them...are a year or two old but no signs of dryrot. i can get u one fairly cheap if u want one.

But one thing when i looked into some different tires than i run. A "Z" rated tire u can not warranty. So there are 2 sides to this. but they arent being nice about any of it it seems. I'd fix it for u and send u on ur way. lol.
Sorry about ur experiance dude.

Last edited by JLMoses; 09-08-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

i work at walmart too. our TLE sucks. the problem is they let any terd off the streets work back there. we have replaced entire engines at our store cause the guy doing the oil change forgot to put the drain plug back in. as for coustomer service, not. if they cant warenty a z rated tire, they should have told you and not sold you the protection plan. i dont know if id trust a tire with three holes in it, period. its a tire built to perform. if you stuck 3 nails into your shoe, how long do you think you could walk untill it became a problem, and normaly problems happen at the worst time. good luck and your right for calling home office.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A store is only as good as the management running it.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

The tire is probably "discontinued" by Wal-Mart. They do that with vendor when they don't get the price they want on the product.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Wabmorgan may have a point there. Still , I bought the road hazard , they should honor it , especialy if you're gonna stick signs all over your store saying customer satisfaction is guaranteed. There's nothing satisfactory about this.

I appreciate the offer to sell me 17" tires but they won't work too well on the 16" rims on my T/A.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

i work for sams club which is a wal mart company all you have to do is call 1 800 walmart and tell them the story and more than likely they'll take care of you.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99nbmws6
i work for sams club which is a wal mart company all you have to do is call 1 800 walmart and tell them the story and more than likely they'll take care of you.
He is right.....I was a store manager for Sams Club a few years back.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:42 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

No phone call from corporate. Nada, zip , zilch. Oh yeah , I am quite thrilled at this point. I have informed my girlfriend who lives with me to NEVER bring a Wal-Mart bag into this house again. I will never spend another penny with them, EVER.

Quick Reply: Do NOT buy tires from Wal-Mart!