Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fikse wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:58 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fikse wheel question

Can I remove the center section from my FM-5's myself? It looks like I could just unbolt the 2 pieces and put them back together. I'm thinking of polishing the spokes, and it would be much easier with the wheel apart.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
Can I remove the center section from my FM-5's myself? It looks like I could just unbolt the 2 pieces and put them back together. I'm thinking of polishing the spokes, and it would be much easier with the wheel apart.
I took appart a set of wheels and painted the centers for a freind, I will never do it again. All of the bolts had red/permenant lock tight on them and the centers are also pressed into the outer barrel....in short, it was a real pain in the ***!

It turned out really nice though, its a black WS6 with brilliant orange pearl stripes and the same orange on the wheels with polished outer barrels.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

There was a guy on CZ28.com who took his apart and polished them. He said it wasn't too bad but I can imagine it would take some patients.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just take it to a wheel repair shop and have them take them apart and put them back together.

I have a local shop that is very familiar with Fikse's, HRE's and I think it would be around 75 each to have them taken apart and I'm sure they would include the dismount and mount with that. I would love to do mine as well but I would probably have them taken apart and sent to the sponser here that does that, would be around a 1000 when its all said and done.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fikses are true 3 peice wheels. Can you take them apart? Certainly . . . but you would need to find/buy the special sealant that seals the two hoops together.

I would not advise it, but then again I've never done either.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

I say dont do it yourself, I would pay a well respected shop to take apart and put back together something that your life depends on........But thats just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Don't ALL of the bolts need to be torqued to a given spec as well??
Old 12-05-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Don't ALL of the bolts need to be torqued to a given spec as well??
Yes, plus the wheel has to be sealed like Xsta Z 28 said. He needs to find a shop that knows how to work on a 3piece wheel.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

All of the three piece wheels I have worked with have the center pressed onto the back side of the two outer barrels, not between them. This doesnt require re sealing the outer barrels after re assembling the wheels due to the seal never being broken. The ones I panted only required removing the bolts and using a large dead blow to shock the center out of the barrels. When I re assembled the wheels I used five extra long bolts to re set the center in the outer barrels. After it was pressed back into place the long bolts were replaced with the factory bolts using red permenant lock tight. It sounds easy but its far more involved, I wont do another set.

Heres a picture of the finished product.