Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

sumitimo tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007 | 11:36 AM
Teching In

If you are looking for a tire to perform on the street if the opportunity to run someone arises, don't get them. Yeah, they will last longer, but I have them on my T/A (315 35's in the back and 275 40's in the front) and they won't hook at ALL! And my car has very few mods. I have a lid, hypertech programmer, slp loudmouth, and 3:73 gear and when I hit it in first from a dead I don't even move until I shift into second. Even if I ease into it I still break loose and stay loose until about midway through 2nd gear. And my car is an automatic too! They will hook for about the first couple of weeks when they are new but then they are just awful. Hope I helped you out some. I would suggest keeping cheap tires on the front and buying the new 315 35 M/T street radial that just came out. You can get both tires for around 400 but they will hook until they are completely worn down. They do wear out faster though. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2007 | 07:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TargetVice
i got sumis all around for my 99 T/A. had michelins on before and was awesome, switched to sumi for the price and now im all over the place, i literally have to fight the car when a good gust of wind hits me or the slipstream air coming off the trucks. especially at highway speeds, i dunno if the wind is hitting the sidewalls wierd or what but im lose. got a thrust alignment and my bushings and tie rods are fine. anyone else having this problem with the sumis.
Hmmm... and I thought mine were just weird. I was going to try and get my rebalanced because mine do the same thing on even somewhat flat roads that don't even really have worn in grooves. I have played with the air pressure etc and same thing. I know its not the suspension, because I had the 16" snowflakes on all winter and car drove PERFECTLY. As soon as I put the ZR1s back on, problem came back.
Old 04-05-2007 | 08:04 PM
Launching!

Granted, for a DD they aren't a bad tire. They are cheap and tire wear isn't horrible so far. But even with just lid and catback, my car is ALL over the place up until 3rd if I get on it. Hell, just tonight coming back from the supermarket with a trunk FULL of stuff, I eased on it in 2nd and broke loose like all hell. They look cool and are "ok" for most driving, but don't expect to be thrashing on them too much.