Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

are 15" rims really worth risking your life for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so do convo pros fit on ls1 rear brakes?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sbusby
Hell, I'd just take the caliper off. You don't need to stop
Oh my god I almost fell of my chair laughing at this
Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GeArBaNgEr56
You don't have to grind for centerlines.
Acording to this you still have to grind. Just not as much.

http://www.wheels.ls1tech.com/galler...&g2_itemId=193
Old 06-04-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 572ysc
so do convo pros fit on ls1 rear brakes?
See the link in my post above .
Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Is it possible to install LT1 rear brakes and have enough clearance to use the Weld or Centerline without grinding the calipers?

i'm runnin LT1 brakes in the rear and still had to "massage" them to get my Draglites to fit....if you have the dough get Bogarts
Old 06-04-2007, 09:59 PM
FormerVendor

Centerlines, depending on the style can fit over LS1 brakes a bit easier then a prostar. The problem with them are they are generally the heaviest drag wheels available!. They also do not offer the correct width wheel with the proper backspace requirements you need for a stock length F-body.

If you're running an 8" wheel, do not use 275 radials or larger and do not run 26x11.5 ET streets on them. Those tires are too large for the wheel. While they may fit easier, you run into new issues of loosing a tire etc etc.

You need a minimum of an 8.5" wheel for those large tires. General rule of thumb for wheel selection is +-1" of tires tread width.

This is why I state if you want an economy wheel, choose a prostar and put up with the problems or choose one of our wheels and not have any concerns. Either way, best suited wheels are 10" wheels period. And no, do not choose a prostar 8" wheel either...you'll be in the same boat. A 10" wheel offers the most choices regarding tire selection for the F-body.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:19 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

are there smaller calipers we can buy to replace the stock ones so we dont have to grind them down to fit a 15" wheel in there? Ive looked around and cant find any anywhere. 15" wheels have the most tire selection for drag tires, why didnt GM think some of us would want 15" wheels on a camaro???
Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZV8
are there smaller calipers we can buy to replace the stock ones so we dont have to grind them down to fit a 15" wheel in there? Ive looked around and cant find any anywhere. 15" wheels have the most tire selection for drag tires, why didnt GM think some of us would want 15" wheels on a camaro???
Read post #23.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ZV8
Wait until the newer F-body comes out...I have a feeling it will be much worse to fit a 15" setup on the car.

...No sense in trying to re-invent the wheel so to speak. We have a solution for you guys. It would be less expensive to keep the stock brakes and use our wheels vs replacing to drag brakes (or other smaller styles).

Of course, drag brakes do have a very big advantage regarding weight. Unsprung and rotational weight as mentioned before is VERY important and should not be neglected or overlooked. Drag brakes i.e. Strange, will remove ~50 lbs from the front and 25lbs from the rear...a very good modification actually. If we build the wheels to drag brake specifications, the wheels are even less expensive as we do not need additional custom components for the wheel. This type of setup is ultimate for drag racing application and improvements.

With drag brakes, one could even go to the P2 wheels which are even lighter!! We've got them down to as low as 6.75lbs for a front runner.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
See the link in my post above .
I didn't touch my calipers...and they fit perfect. I don't think I'd call centerline an "economy wheel", its just another drag wheel available on the market. I would however call the prostar knockoffs jegs sells and "economy wheel".
Old 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

I suppose if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy that you don't want it to be called economy wheel, call it what you wish. Weld makes high-end wheels, and economy series wheels, we make high-end wheels as well as economy series wheels.

I think you're getting hung up on the word economy. By referring to economy doesn't mean "cheap". It means less expensive. Typically, less expensive means that something is given up to bring the product in at a lessor price...albeit materials used, process or design. Centerline did have a price-increase with their wheels...I think a typical set costs ~1000.00. Which is a few hundred more then welds economy series. Getting to that price-level, maybe you might feel that economy price-range may be stretching it a bit. I still call it an economy price-level as that is about what our economy fly-series wheels run.

Drag wheels are not all equal. This is the problem that many seem to overlook. All wheels are not created equal and there ARE differences. Since you brought this up, let me clarify, summit/jegs wheels are NOT drag wheels nor I don't believe are even advertised as such.

Asside from material used or process's used (which greatly effect pricing), if a wheel is 30%+ heavier then another brand...there is an advantage to using a lighter setup. The lighter the wheel, the less braking force required to stop the car ...to propelling th e car forward!

Overstuffing a large 275 or greater tire on a small 8" wheel creates new problems. I do not feel centerline is a good solution for late model F-bodies for the simple fact, the backspacing is wrong (both 8 and 10" wheels). An 8" wheel will fit, but should not be used with the typical large tires that we run on the cars. therefore you can't use a 10" wheel (which tires for 10" wheels easily fit under the car) and the wheels are among the heaviest of drag wheels available. They generally are heavier then prostars (which our Bogarts are ~30% lighter). I have never stated centerline wheels are bad or a terrible design.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd like to see a 15X10 wheel with 7.25" or more backspacing, that has no fitment problems that can be driven on the street also. Not a race only wheel, there are options for race only already. I respect the product SJM has, but it is not for me.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:47 PM
FormerVendor

Mike,

I understand where you are coming from. I wish I had a lessor cost solution for you retaining all the benefits. If we did, it would have been made for you. Trust me, we are on the boards and listening to you guys constantly for feedback. We've made changes and additional stricktly from the board members here. Heck, I even named one of the wheels after an LS1tech member.

I believe Weld manufactured a series wheel that fit that bill BUT no one wanted them since they were so heavy, there was little/no gains by using the 15 inch wheels. They have since been discontinued.

Keep in light of reasoning behind using 15" wheels...to lower rotational weight and for increased traction due to tire spread from larger sidewalls.

Making a 15" wheel that is extremly heavy removes one of the largest benefits of weight reduction whereas we see guys lowering their track times up to .2 which is pretty big. A huge reason to consider 15" wheels.

If a wheel was available to meet the demand yet didn't retain the benefits, the only thing you'd be doing is downgrading handling and making braking distances worse with no other gains. Not a very attractive proposal is it? If a persons goals were to just "look" like they had drag wheels, then they would be golden.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 PM
FormerVendor

Mike,

I understand where you are coming from. I wish I had a lesser cost solution for you retaining all the benefits. If we did, it would have been made for you. Trust me, we are on the boards and listening to you guys constantly for feedback. We've made changes and additional strictly from the board members here. Heck, I even named one of the wheels after an LS1tech member.

I believe Weld manufactured a series wheel that fit that bill BUT no one wanted them since they were so heavy, there was little/no gains by using the 15 inch wheels. They have since been discontinued.

Keep in light of reasoning behind using 15" wheels...to lower rotational weight and for increased traction due to tire spread from larger sidewalls.

Making a 15" wheel that is extremely heavy removes one of the largest benefits of weight reduction whereas we see guys lowering their track times up to .2 which is pretty big. …A huge reason to consider 15" wheels.

If a wheel was available to meet the demand yet didn't retain the benefits, the only thing you'd be doing is downgrading handling and making braking distances worse with no other gains. Not a very attractive proposal is it? If a person’s goals were to just "look" like they had drag wheels, then they would be golden.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

All it would have to do to brake shorter and cover the 1/4 quicker is be lighter than the stock cast aluminum 16" wheel. Not as light as your race wheels, no, but a better srteet/strip wheel.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

I wish it was that easy. As mentioned, Weld had that setup for you guys but many hated it and said it was too close to the stock weight from what I recall.

The stock wheel is ~21-22lbs, ours is about half that, prostar same sized is ~30% more, centerlines doesn't offer a 10" wheel so no real good solution for them, theirs are even heavier then prostars.

I can build a wheel that is a street/strip design, but we still use high-end parts so it will be more costly...it is very strong though, it just isn't going to be a 7-900.00 for a set as most are requesting. That price range that I think most want is going to be a stamped wheel or mass produced chinese lower quality setup.

The problem is that if you're getting a wheel setup that is say 16-19lbs, what will you really be saving? It's going to be a very small amount and I doubt that many would want to even spend 700.00 to make handling suffer yet only gain .05. The only thing it will do is make the car look like a race car.

I think that was the issue with welds wheels which were discontinued. They were actually nice looking wheels in my opinion. They may have tried them since people were asking for something like this...but then it may have been more of just talk and no one wanted them when they were coming out at 17-19lbs. I recall people talking about the wheels...they fit no problem...but the weight and benefits vs even low-cost didn't win out.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

The Weld XP's were the 15"ers that fit with no grinding, but were somewhat heavier. I have a set on my Z that are still much lighter than the factory chrome wheels were ( the QTP's don't hurt either). I had a set of Bogarts that had a failure and they were repaired for me with no hassles. To get the quaility and service you recieve with Bogart they are certainly worth the money in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:12 AM
9 Second Club

I thought this was the "are 15" wheels worth it" thread? Not hey buy bogarts. We all don't want to pay for over priced wheels when they all have the same purpose. I'll stick with centerline. Now back on topic...
Steve I wouldn't worry about the guy with 71 posts puffing up his chest to one of the most informed and respected sponsors on the board. This thread is great especially the stuff about the VW metric radial tires on front runners (which I run on my draglites oooooops) But my front runners are 15x5 and not 15x3.5 so i'm a bit better i guess.... I'm learning alot from this thread though and it answered alot of my questions about bogarts which per our convo the other day I will be purchasing soon...
Old 09-30-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmmm still no posts about failing rear calipers......
Old 09-30-2009, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tittan1500
Hmmmm still no posts about failing rear calipers......
What? Why did you respond to a thread that is three years old? And three people that I personally know have had brakes come apart due to grinding.

Quick Reply: are 15" rims really worth risking your life for?