Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

are 15" rims really worth risking your life for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Overstuffing a large 275 or greater tire on a small 8" wheel creates new problems. I do not feel centerline is a good solution for late model F-bodies for the simple fact, the backspacing is wrong (both 8 and 10" wheels). An 8" wheel will fit, but should not be used with the typical large tires that we run on the cars. therefore you can't use a 10" wheel (which tires for 10" wheels easily fit under the car) and the wheels are among the heaviest of drag wheels available. They generally are heavier then prostars (which our Bogarts are ~30% lighter). I have never stated centerline wheels are bad or a terrible design.
I run the Centerline Convo Pro wheels on my 99 Camaro and they are NOT among the heaviest of drag wheels available. I weighed mine vs. comparable Pro Stars, Rodlites, Draglites, Telstars, and the knockoff Summit Star wheels (easily the heaviest of the available "drag wheels" out there). My Convos are the LIGHTEST of the above-mentoned wheels.

No, I didn't weigh them vs. a comparable set of Bogarts or Holeshot wheels because I KNOW both of those are lighter, but much more expensive and more prone to failure during street-driving. I went with the 15x4 front Convo Pros with a 1 3/4" backspacing and did NO grinding whatsoever to the front calipers- they fit like a glove. On the rear I run a 15x9 Convo Pro with a 6 1/2" backspacing and a 275/50-15 M/T ET Street drag radial and it seems to be the PERFECT size to fit inside the rear wheelwell of a 4th Gen F-body- see for yourself:

Yes, rear caliper grinding was done but not much at all- basically just the cooling fins and the edges of the steel caliper brackets were all that needed to be clearanced. I've already tried 275/60-15 M/T DRs and they tuck up inside the fenders just as nicely. The part numbers for the Convo Pros I use are:

FRONT- 00 5401 547
REAR- 00 5907 547

Hope this info helps, guys.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PKC-Z71
I weighed mine vs. comparable Pro Stars, Rodlites, Draglites, Telstars, and the knockoff Summit Star wheels (easily the heaviest of the available "drag wheels" out there). My Convos are the LIGHTEST of the above-mentoned wheels.
Weird..I've also weighed my old Convo pros vs my new Prostars, and my 15x3.5 Prostars were lighter than my 15x4 Convo Pros, and my 15x10 Prostars were .50 lighter than my 15x8.5 Convo Pros. I was using our shops nitrous scale, which is pretty accurate.

Quick Reply: are 15" rims really worth risking your life for?