Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

why does a warrior/convo pro fit and a telstar not

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default why does a warrior/convo pro fit and a telstar not

the telstars have the same backspacing (5) and are .5 Narrower.. so they should be .5 farther under the car... but yet nobody has them in favor of the warriors/convo pros because they stick out too far (only pic ive seen is on the lt1 in gm htp)

im looking to run 28*11.5's on the telstar 15*8 with 5" bs.

convo pros and warriors are 15*8.5 on a 5 bs and 15*10 on a .5 bs. so the offset (distance outside of lug surface) on both is 3.5 where as the telstar is only 3. what gives?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: why does a warrior/convo pro fit and a telstar not

ttt
Old 05-19-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seams like most 15" make a smaller dia. wheel on the inside which hits the rear calipers. The only ones that don't have this problem is the Center Lines. The 5" BS on 8" wide wheel means you will have 3" sticking past the hub. My 6.5" BS on 10" wide wheels will stick out 3.5" past the hub BUT the wider tire is almost even with the wheel where the tire would bulge out on a 8" wheel. I'd be curious how much you would have to grind with the Telstars.

Here's my setup:

Rear:
15x10 Warrior with 6.5" BS
26x11.5x15 MT ET Street
Fits great, had to grind the rear calipers a tad but not like the Welds. Doesn't stick out that much IMO.

Front:
15x4 Warrior with 1.75" BS
VW tires but will switch to MT fronts since VW's are taller and setup off ABS code. Fits great, no grinding, no spacers.

Really happy with the Warriors. I went from Welds, to Convo Pros, to these. I never mounted the 10" Welds since you had grind the SH*T out of the calipers. The 10" Convo's will fit without much grinding but don't have the 6.5" BS like the Warriors and the 8.5" Convos are a little too narrow for me. Warriors are just as light as the Convo's or Welds too.

pics:
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...arriorside.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...arriorrear.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...rriorside2.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...rriorrear2.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...2/burnout1.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...2/burnout2.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...2/burnout3.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...ept02/race.jpg

BTW- Those are pics with my stock 10 bolt. My new 12 bolt is .5" shorter on each side so now they stick in more. I offset that with the 11" ZR1 offset wheels for the street.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

your moser was .5 narrower than stock? hmm i should measure my moser as well..

your wheels look great.. but i just know i'd cut a tire with an offset like that as much as my car squats.

i was under the impression that no grinding would be necessary with any centerline wheel.. bummer.

thanks for the reply
Old 05-19-2003, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your moser was .5 narrower than stock? hmm i should measure my moser as well..

your wheels look great.. but i just know i'd cut a tire with an offset like that as much as my car squats.

i was under the impression that no grinding would be necessary with any centerline wheel.. bummer.

thanks for the reply
I ordered my Moser that way.

I think an 8" wheel would look simlar to mine since the tires bulges out.

Another option is Bogart wheels:
http://bogartracingwheels.com
I read they have the offset you need plus they will fit without grinding BUT are more $$$.

I only had to grind a tad to get the rear Warriors to fit. Nothing like what you have to do for the Welds. I think if you would roll the fenders, my wheels/tires wouldn't hit no matter how hard you launch. Take a look at this pic:

http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...rriorrear2.jpg
Old 05-19-2003, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea i tried lining up a set of bogargs but im not paying 700 for 2 wheels.. heck i got all 4 of my chrome vette wheels for 800.. with tire!

wish i would have thought about narrowing the rear ahead of time, would have been a good move.. never thought i'd need it i guess.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I`m really glad this post came up as I am on the market for a set of drag wheels and simplt cannot make up my mind!! I asked a while back about the CL Warriors but got no response. (My guess is that not many people are runnin` em??) So Rodent, did you have to grind the face of the caliper to fit the rears? Are you using open end lugs on the rears? Thanks.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey David,

NICE CAR man !! You pulled in beside me at KFC off of 360 the other day and I was like "what is that !" when I heard you coming. Blacker then told me you had turbos and I understood. I've been chasing this wheel and tire thing some too and have basically come to the conclusion that the bogarts are for me. Those or WELD magnum drags, but they are serious cake too. Let us all know what you turn up.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

i looked at the magnum drags $$ but they dont seem to offer any better backspacing than any others (besides $350 a wheel bogarts)

skimms,yes i have a single turbo, you need to come to rockola on broad street some wed. night between 830 and 11ish. thats when our club meets.(check sig link). you pulled off before i could get out of the car to tell you that
Old 05-20-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I`m really glad this post came up as I am on the market for a set of drag wheels and simplt cannot make up my mind!! I asked a while back about the CL Warriors but got no response. (My guess is that not many people are runnin` em??) So Rodent, did you have to grind the face of the caliper to fit the rears? Are you using open end lugs on the rears? Thanks.
I know, there's only a few running the Warriors. I would of responded if I saw your post. I did not have to grind the face that I can remember but I did have to grind the top of the caliper. Took a smidge off each one and did trial and error fit till I got it right. My calipers are painted red and you can't even tell where the grinding was done. I think the 8" wide wheels fit with no grinding but I wanted a wider look plus I think they clear the fender better with a 11.5" tire. I am using open end lugs that are designed for the CL wheels. My 12 bolt studs are 3" so I have to. The wheels also come with CL center caps but I don't install them.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Shawn. That is one sweet looking ride you have there by the way! My wife came in the room when I was checking out the pics of your car and was like damn that Ram Air T/A looks nice! (What can I say, the girl has good taste in cars!) To be honest, an 8" or 8.5" would be wide enough for me but as best as I can tell you can`t get the Warriors in an 8" with the 6.5" BS. Summit/Jegs only list a 5" BS on the 8.5`s. I assume they would stick out as much if not more than the 10" w/ 6.5" BS. Trevor D has the 7.5 Convo`s on his `02 and they fit in the wells pretty good but that 7.5" limits you to a narrow tire. So I think I`ll go with the 15x10" Warriors like you and WHEN this 10 bolt lets go I`ll order my 12 bolt narrowed! Do you have any pics with your narrowed 12 bolt and the Warriors on?? Sorry by the way MightyMouse, I didn`t mean to hijack your thread. But this wheel thing has been driving me mad! I was wondering about the Telstars also at one time until I read the piece in GMHTP about them not fitting LS1 rear brakes. They also went on to say how they are always bugging the wheel companies to make a drag wheel for 4th Gen. LS1`s but they say that with the discontinuation of the F-bodies there would`nt be enough of a market. Obviously they don`t check out the LS1 web sites!! I mean this site alone has enough registered users looking for an affordable set of race wheels to justify production!! That is where I appreciate people like Steve10 who are attempting to work with a company produce model specific parts for our cars. Unfortunatly, as much as I want a set of Bogart SS`s, I simply can`t afford them. Well, I think I`ve vented enough for now. Thanks guys.

Eric
Old 05-20-2003, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

i agree with what 02 silver said.. if you can plan ahead get the rear narrowed.. but i didnt so i ordered a 15*10 prostar today with the 7.5 backspacing (2.5" offset) where as the warrior 15*8.5 has the 5" backspacing (3.5 offset) and i just couldnt afford to give away that inch running the 27" tire and having the car lowered... so grinding the calipers it is!
Old 05-20-2003, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

David,

I would've loved to stayed and chatted, but I was running late on my lunch break already. I do need to get to one of the meetings soon. I've kinda been waiting on some parts to come in before going to any club meet though. The people who had the car before me put SS emblems on an otherwise bone stock Z28 (when I bought it anyway) and I've ordered
some 70-74 Z28 emblems to put on in their place.
Single turbo eh? I heard through the limited grapevine I have that your car was brutal fast, I can't wait to get an up close look. Work keeps me really busy, but I'll try to sneak up there one wednesday soon...

later

Jimmy

Old 05-21-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

thanks, its as fast as i can get it right now, but its gonna get faster
Old 05-21-2003, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Shawn. That is one sweet looking ride you have there by the way! My wife came in the room when I was checking out the pics of your car and was like damn that Ram Air T/A looks nice! (What can I say, the girl has good taste in cars!) To be honest, an 8" or 8.5" would be wide enough for me but as best as I can tell you can`t get the Warriors in an 8" with the 6.5" BS. Summit/Jegs only list a 5" BS on the 8.5`s. I assume they would stick out as much if not more than the 10" w/ 6.5" BS. Trevor D has the 7.5 Convo`s on his `02 and they fit in the wells pretty good but that 7.5" limits you to a narrow tire. So I think I`ll go with the 15x10" Warriors like you and WHEN this 10 bolt lets go I`ll order my 12 bolt narrowed! Do you have any pics with your narrowed 12 bolt and the Warriors on?? Sorry by the way MightyMouse, I didn`t mean to hijack your thread. But this wheel thing has been driving me mad! I was wondering about the Telstars also at one time until I read the piece in GMHTP about them not fitting LS1 rear brakes. They also went on to say how they are always bugging the wheel companies to make a drag wheel for 4th Gen. LS1`s but they say that with the discontinuation of the F-bodies there would`nt be enough of a market. Obviously they don`t check out the LS1 web sites!! I mean this site alone has enough registered users looking for an affordable set of race wheels to justify production!! That is where I appreciate people like Steve10 who are attempting to work with a company produce model specific parts for our cars. Unfortunatly, as much as I want a set of Bogart SS`s, I simply can`t afford them. Well, I think I`ve vented enough for now. Thanks guys.

Eric
Thanks Eric! My wife doesn't like the TA as much because of the ram air hood. She likes the looks of the Camaro's better. Maybe she'll change her mind when she drives it after the turbo is installed. Anyway with a narrow wheel, you can mount a skinny tire to clear. I think a 10" wide MT would fit okay. I did so much researching on this and I kept buying the wrong wheels last summer. I think my wheel/tire guy still hates me. I got the idea to narrow my rear from someone else that did the same thing. Its hard to believe that I did that because of the lack of wheels out there. It didn't cost me any extra so I went and did it. The ZR1 offset sticks out .5" more than the GS offset so the street wheels fit perfect. If I was to run a standard stock wheel, I'd get some 1" spacers and have the wheels stick out .5" more than factory which would look better IMO. I don't have any pics of the Warriors on my 12 bolt yet but I will snap some soon and post them. I agree that some company should make a set of affordable 15" wheels. Even if Weld could re-design the 16" XP's to make them lighter, it would be nice.

Here's some pics of 27x11.5x15 Hoosier QTP on 15x8.5 5"BS Centerline warriors:
http://imageevent.com/lastws6/hoosie...yfm31.rabbit_s

This pic shows them sticking out more than mine but he does have a taller tire:
http://photos.imageevent.com/lastws6...huge/tire1.jpg

David- Let us know how much you have to grind. Would be nice to see before and after pics of the calipers. The Welds have the perfect BS we need but are much smaller dia inside the wheel. I saw a shop grind LS1 calipers to make them fit and by the time they were done they had a pile of shavings 2" high! I think the next day I took my Welds back. I haven't heard anyone having problems for this so I think you'll fine.

BTW- I also have racing tubes in the rears. I was told it was not safe to run without the tubes. I also have to install the screws in the wheels to prevent the tires turning on the wheels. Got the screws and tubes at Summit along with the CL lugs.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics and info Shawn. Would you say his 15x8.5`s stick out more than your 15x10`s BEFORE you got your narrowed 12 bolt?? Do you know if he had to grind for the 8.5`s? Off the top of your head, do you know the part # for the open end lugs your using? Thanks again.

Eric
Old 05-21-2003, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say they do stick out more before I got the narrowed 12. Not sure if he had to grind but I'd guess no. Not sure on the part #. Call Summit and they will know.

Quick Reply: why does a warrior/convo pro fit and a telstar not