Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How is Street Driving Drag Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjust your driving

Would def not daily drive skinnies and skinnies+100+mph= certain death
Also braking you will have to slow down sooner the breaking is not near as good.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
Well written and informative post. I have basically been rolling the same thoughts around in my head for the last week. That post gives people who are thinking of swapping over a good amount to think over before making a move.

The car might see one road race its entire life. It has a 4L80E with a Full Manual valvebody setup, obviously with drag intentions. The car moved to 17's when it was a daily driver, but a Cummin's diesel has taken over that role and the Z has moved to a track only/some street use. Now I want to stop trying to balance daily driving and actually doing well at the track, and just hook for once. I'm trying to get some QA1's and Eibach drag springs to complete the setup.

I'm going for it, if I dont feel comforterable I'll buy some classic salad shooters for the street or go back to some TT2's like I used to have.

Thanks fella's

-Dustin-

When I refer to road racing, it doesn't just have to be on a track, even hard racing on the street...curved roads at high speeds, dodging around etc. If you really only want to drive very casually to a car show, drive like you have your grandmother in the seat next to you then a drag setup would work perfect. Forget about any racing around corners, flying around on corners...typical fun spirited driving the daily driver does.

You see by the posts, many folks use drag wheels on a daily basis without issues. They do have to change their driving habits dramatically. It depends on the type of driving you typically do whether it is worth it or not. I’d suggest, if you are uncertain, do not trade the wheels, pick up a new set or used set of inexpensive drag wheels if funds are tight. …OR if you know someone who has a drag setup on their car…give it a try. If you like it enough, then sell the RR wheels outright. If you want a high quality drag wheel, our wheels can be built to be a direct fitment so you pretty much can bolt them on and go without any aggravations and benefits of the lightest direct fit wheel.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what I did run some 15x6's up front they still look pretty good mine are on a 215/65/15 which is too big imo they need 205/60/15's this is on a third gen btw
Old 09-24-2007, 01:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We do have some folks using our 17x6 setups, this would get you out of the washy feeling of a 15" wheel giving you a smaller sidewall profile. Keep in mind, this really isn't a very good solution for a drag setup. I'd suggest it being a better solution then above as you will have better handling characteristics with weight probably being overall lighter then the above 15x6" wheel setup.

The only issue you'll have to overcome now is steering will not be as good as your wide 17" front wheels.

Quick Reply: How is Street Driving Drag Wheels?