Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How is Street Driving Drag Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How is Street Driving Drag Wheels?

I am in a tough spot. In one hand I have my ZR1's with 315 Nitto's in the other hand a guy wanting to trade some Pro Stars for them. I wouldnt mind the extra traction, nor the more drag look. But how is driving on the street with skinnies and MT Drag radials?

This is not a dialy driver, but the occasional fun on the street or trip to the track car. I'm just wondering if I'll hate driving the car around for fun with skinnies up front.

Some specs - 1994 Z28 - Cammed [Soon to be a headed and squeezed] - Vigilante/ 4L80E - Stock Springs and Shocks, 1LE Swaybar, BMR Trak Pack - Hotchkis PHB, SFC's. I'm also doing a 9in in a few months and probably QA1's.

So how is it? Cruising around town, taking the highway to the track, whats the furthest I should drive on them?

I guess I'm just at a crossroad and I need to make a decision, either the car is more drag and less street, or more street and less drag.

-Dustin-
Old 09-22-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really scares me sometimes. If I had to dodge something quickly, i doubt i could. Rain is totally off limits...i got stuck in a rainstorm about 5 miles from my house once. I was terrified... had to go 5-10 mph. With no front swaybar in the front, 100+ on the highway feels loose. With the swaybar, i have no problem with it.

You feel potholes with the skinnies in the front. Feels more of a solid "thunk" than a street wheel.

Normal driving is totally fine. Long distance is fine too, but the MT DRs wear out fast.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldnt be ditching the swaybar, just swaping wheels. Thanks for the input.

-Dustin-
Old 09-23-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

run 15x4's up from with 205/70 and it helps with handling alot over 15x3.5's with thinner tire! Doesn't sound like much but it was a huge difference!
Old 09-23-2007, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i daily drive my set up. 15x3.5 prostar fronts with mt et fronts, and 15x10 rears with 26x10-15 et drag rears.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just got my skinnies and et streets on yesterday. i drove it alot yesterday and today. sway bar is still on tho and it feels great. regular driving is fine but your handling is gone. quick dodging of objects in road i'm not sure i'd like to try that. but overall, so far so good.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 PM

Unsafe.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Launching!

never had a problem
Old 09-23-2007, 07:44 PM
FormerVendor

Yes! More then likely you will hate driving around on a 15" wheel setup compared to what you have now.

15" wheels will use a very large sidewall which makes the vehicle feel sloppy. Braking distances and control will drasticlly change. A skinny wheel will give you little steering ability in comparison. It's a good setup when you want to go racing whether it is street or strip but that is about it.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Unsafe.
lol a camaro will still out Handel most of the crappy cars out on the road with 15x4's up front! I don't how it's that un safe! I have driven with them many times and haven't had any problems and none of my friend have. i have been in storms/traffic a lot too ! hell if you are running this setup you should know your not going to go flying around corners like SSCA.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Adjust your driving style and once you get a feel for them they are fine.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Perhaps I should keep the ZR1's and do some salad shooters with MT Drag Radials and Skinnies for the track? Seems like a good compromise, huh?

Just hard to pass up the trade I am currently offered.

-Dustin-
Old 09-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I just did the same thing as you. The only thing I didn't like about the swap was grinding the rotors. As far as driving it feels the same to me.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have drivin on skinnies and slicks around town quite a bit. with a posi they were not bad at all just couldn't turn as fast or as sharp. with a spool and slicks i noticed that when you turn it will try to keep the front going forward a little longer. Today was the first day i have ever drivin with skinnies and tall drag radials. The DR's don't have the side give that the slicks do, so when you try to turn the radials don't give and it tries to push the front forward even longer.
I have no front swaybar, but i put my QA1's on 5 or 6 for street driving and have no problems.

I have had no real issues with driving them on the street and know many that only have drag wheels and drive on the street. Try it, if it feels fine go for it, if it feels scary to you PLEASE DON'T KEEP DRIVING ON THEM.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

I really appriciate all the input. The car is getting QA1's and Eibach's drag kit to complete the suspension, so I definately dont plan on any drifting-ricer boy moves on the street. I just like to cruise the streets a few hours on the weekend, spook the ricers, and drive to the track once in a while. I never was the kinda person to see how fast I could take turns or dart through traffic. Although I am getting tired of not having traction in low gears.

-Dustin-
Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
run 15x4's up from with 205/70 and it helps with handling alot over 15x3.5's with thinner tire! Doesn't sound like much but it was a huge difference!
I was just wondering about this myself. I don't drive my car everyday either but would like something a little wider than the 3.5" up front. I assume the 205 is the widest tire you can run on the 15x4?
Just how much of a difference are we talking about comparing the 15x4 with the 205/70 tires over the 15x3.5?
What backspacing do the 15x4 have and how is fitment compared to the 3.5" w/ 1.75 B.S. Any issues ?
Any pics of your car ?
Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

See i put on a few cars
Front 15x4's wheels with 205/70 = 26.3x 8.0
Rear 15x10's wheels with 295/50 = 26.6x 11.6
great combo and looks sweet
Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
I was just wondering about this myself. I don't drive my car everyday either but would like something a little wider than the 3.5" up front. I assume the 205 is the widest tire you can run on the 15x4?
Just how much of a difference are we talking about comparing the 15x4 with the 205/70 tires over the 15x3.5?
What backspacing do the 15x4 have and how is fitment compared to the 3.5" w/ 1.75 B.S. Any issues ?
Any pics of your car ?
Thanks
205 is pushing it for a 4" wheel. It would probably look very odd and dangerous to use. You risk increased tire wear even down to loosing bead seals. You're stuffing a tire on a wheel which is designed for typically 6-7" wheel. I tell my customers, CHOOSE the TIRE first, and THEN choose the wheel to fit the tire...not the other way around.

When you design a setup that is dual duty (daily use and drag use); you really have a setup that is not the best for each application. Say to yourself, would you consider using an all season tire for best traction on the 17” wheels or do you want an improved handling/traction summer only tire. This is the same idea behind the drag setup and road race setup. The original poster has right now a good road race setup; obviously, he is considering changing it to a drag setup. This will give the most benefits towards drag racing applications unlike his current setup. But he will lose road racing benefits. He needs to consider which is more important to him if he is only going to run one of them 100% of the time. If he wants the best of both worlds, keep the road race setup for everyday use and use the drag setup for drag racing use.

If he knows he’s looking to race somebody albeit street or track, then the drag wheel setup using slicks/skinnies would reap most benefits. About the only negative aspect of a slick/skinny setup with this in mind would be when street or strip racing when the other guy looses even if the other guy has a bit more HP then he does, he will say he lost since he didn’t have traction and wasn’t running slick/skinnies so it wasn’t a “fair” race. On the other hand, if you were using a skinny/slick setup and the other guy was using his daily road race setup, you could not keep up with him during normal driving since you lose maneuverability.

Aside from the fact steering and braking dramatically change with a skinny/slick setup, when you increase sidewall size, handling changes considerably. For the guys that have changed to a 17" setup, recall how much different the car felt compared to the stock 16" diameter wheels. The car track much better, maneuverability is improved and steering feels much tighter.

Changing from 17" wheels to 15" wheels combined with using considerably smaller width front tires, handling will dramatically change. Realize this setup is used for drag racing where going straight is of importance, not turning. Many people use them all the time, driving habits will need to change if you’re used to a 17” wheel setup.

There are real measurable benefits using a drag skinny/slick setup, but they are meant for drag racing applications, not daily driving. Considering this, the drag setup works great for the weekend or local evening racing events but keep the 17's that you have now for everyday use if you like the way they perform.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

I drive mine all the time...it's not a daily driver, but I still put over 150 miles a week on it. I run 15x3.5's up front and I've never had problem.

Back when I still had the 10 bolt I drove from North Carolina to Kentucky through the mountains with nearly slick drag radials. It rained some on the way up there and rained the entire way back. My best friend who had never driven my car with skinnies up front drove back home from Kentucky and we never had a problem. I even fell asleep without worry with him driving. I drive it without a front sway bar as well.

As long as you adjust your driving a little you'll be fine after the first 10 minutes. Now that I have the 9 inch with a full spool, rain is definitely out of the question. The one time it rained hard I was still going at least 40mph. It only got loose once and I never really have a problem with it.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Well written and informative post. I have basically been rolling the same thoughts around in my head for the last week. That post gives people who are thinking of swapping over a good amount to think over before making a move.

The car might see one road race its entire life. It has a 4L80E with a Full Manual valvebody setup, obviously with drag intentions. The car moved to 17's when it was a daily driver, but a Cummin's diesel has taken over that role and the Z has moved to a track only/some street use. Now I want to stop trying to balance daily driving and actually doing well at the track, and just hook for once. I'm trying to get some QA1's and Eibach drag springs to complete the setup.

I'm going for it, if I dont feel comforterable I'll buy some classic salad shooters for the street or go back to some TT2's like I used to have.

Thanks fella's

-Dustin-

Quick Reply: How is Street Driving Drag Wheels?