Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

3pc iForged wheels with 3.5" Lips FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3pc iForged wheels with 3.5" Lips FINALLY!

I just got back home from traveling over 4000 miles on the 2003 Hot Rod Power Tour and guess what FINALLY shows up the day after I return home? My new iForged wheels! It sure would have been nice to have them last week but at least they are here after waiting for 18 weeks!

They are the 3pc version which allows more options in backspacing and wheel lip sizes. They were custom built top my specifications as I wanted the biggest smooth lip available on a lightweight forged wheel with staggered sizing, all while still fitting within the fenders of the car. The sizes are 18 x 9.5" front and 18 x 10.5" rear with a 2.5" lip on the front and a massive 3.5" lip on the rears. I looked into getting a 4" rear lip but I'm glad I didn't as I feel the 3.5" lip is pushing the limits of good taste.

The front 18x9.5" wheels weigh 20lbs and the rear 18x10.5" wheels weigh only 21lbs so there really is not a weight penalty going from the stock 17" ZR1 wheels. After driving on some terrible roads down south compared to our Michigan roads (which are nothing to brag about) while traveling on the Power Tour I'm sure glad I didn't opt for 19" or 20" wheels as I honestly don't think a wheel in those sizes from any mfg. would have survived the trip.

The tires are the new Kumho Ecsta MX in 275/35/18 front and 295/35/18 rear. So far I'm very impressed with the tires. Thanks to Xsta and Toxic Texan for convincing me to get them over the BFG KD's. IMO the tires fit the wheels perfectly as the sidewalls are vertically flat and not bulging in or out as seen in the last pic.

Well enough chit chat here are some quick pics I just took of the car with my crappy digital camera. I was getting late and the sun was setting so they are not the best but you get a pretty good idea of what they look like.

CLICK HERE! to see several more pictures of them.

Greg

Old 06-16-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: 3pc iForged wheels with 3.5" Lips FINALLY!

Here are a couple close up shots of the rear. I just need to find some shallow lug nuts to finish off the look.

Front Wheel

Old 06-16-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually went to another board to find a smiley to fit my reply....

Glad you finally got em, they look awesome!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 3pc iForged wheels with 3.5

Damn i cant wait till i get mine in. I knew i made a good choice when i ordered mine.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-16-2003, 10:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Sweet! The cool thing about the style is that they look good on your newer Camaro, as well as my 69 Camaro.

Someday, I think I'll buy a 99-02 bright red SS convertible and put the same wheels, as well as a black hockey stripe on it. Have a matching pair of SS Camaros.

Tony
Old 06-16-2003, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Ill second MadiceV8

(drool drool)

very clean. goes very well with your car. BEAUTIFUL!
Old 06-17-2003, 04:40 AM
TECH Resident

PIMPIN!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:36 AM
Chop-Foo Director

SEXAY!!
Old 06-17-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice! Those wheels are fat. Just out of curiosity, and not to be rude, buit how much were the wheels? Tires? Combo? I'm waiting on my boyd coddington smoothie II's, they should be here in 1-2 weeks assuming they finish in the alloted 4-6 weeks they said. The wheels set off the entire car and add personalilty. I love fat wheels...Nice choice.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Prices: www.iForged.com
Old 06-18-2003, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Greg,

looks awesome! Nice choice. Sorry I never sent the pics you asked for. I did take them and they are on the camera memory card - but a hole heck of a lot that helps you.

Sorry

Again - SSWEET!!! Will you be at the Berger all Chevy Show Labor Day???
Old 06-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Third Chrome Wheel Director

Wow!........that is a stunning pair of shoes!...
Old 06-20-2003, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW! Thanks for the compliments guys! I think they really set the car off!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I have been busy getting ready for a show and I just went with my father to pick up his new HOT ROD Magazine/Berger Chevrolet Camaro he just bought. It's 1 of only 35 made to Commemorate 35 years of Camaro production and pay tribute to the original Hot Rod Test Car Camaro. Pretty Cool!

CLICK HERE! if you want to see a couple more pics of it.

alexWS6...........I'm glad you like them! The reply sliley is cool!

NA$TY-TA........There going to look sweet on your ride too! (If you can stand the wait) What sizes did you order?

Nine Ball..........I have seen your '69 and those 2pc Intros look sweet on there! I like the 2 car concept too!

AsianIce25......I got the wheels for Dealer pricing at $2400 with the polished finish, the avg price I have seen for these sizes is $2700-$2990. Lot of $$$ but remember the same 18" reversed drop lip style in an HRE is right around $5000 and they wouldn't build my specific offsets with such deep lips on them, so I went with iForged. The tires ran $870 so my package was about $3400 with lugs mounting and balancing.

Xsta Z 28............SHAME ON YOU for not sending me those pics!!!!! :p I couldn't believe my father when he said that when he went back to Berger to pick up his car cover that he got a chance to meet you in person. How cool is that?! I hope to meet you myself at the Berger Show. FYI the West Michigan Camaro Club WMCC (Sponsored by Berger) has members who drive from Detroit, Ohio, WI and Chicago areas evey month to attend the meetings and group gatherings. Just something to think about.

Greg
Old 06-20-2003, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are bitchin!!!
Old 06-21-2003, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Beautiful!
Old 06-23-2003, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Xsta Z 28............SHAME ON YOU for not sending me those pics!!!!! :p I couldn't believe my father when he said that when he went back to Berger to pick up his car cover that he got a chance to meet you in person. How cool is that?! I hope to meet you myself at the Berger Show. FYI the West Michigan Camaro Club WMCC (Sponsored by Berger) has members who drive from Detroit, Ohio, WI and Chicago areas evey month to attend the meetings and group gatherings. Just something to think about.

Greg
I was on my way to Tom Henry and descided to take a littel detour and hit Berger first. Out in the lot was Dennis and your Parents. We were talking, and all, they mentioned they used to have a Black SS and now their son "Greg" had it. So I asked if it had grey stripes and custom wheels, so yep, saw their new car in person! VERY COOL! I will certainly be at Berger over Labor Day!

Andy
Old 06-25-2003, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

SS LS1, I got the 18X9;s up front with 265/35's and 18X10's out back with 295/35's. Everyone is freaking out when they look at the prices of these on iForged.com shop around. Im not saying what i paid but it was a little less then what you payed. I cant wait. Im going to need to order another set of rear tires cause my converter is going to tear those up. Cant wait for that day when UPS comes.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NA$TY-TA, Congrats on the wheel order. They should look sweet on your ride! Where did you order them from? What are the offsets you are getting on your wheels?

Now are you sure you are getting 3 pc wheels? The 2 pcs version is indeed cheaper and only avilable in whole sizes from what I understand, ie. 9" 10" with smaller wheel lips. That is why I went with the 3 pcs wheels as they offer more offset options and are available in half sizes such as the 9.5" and 10.5" sizes I ordered.

I personally would have bought a 2pc wheel from a number of wheel makers to save some money (I talked to Boyd, Budnik, Billet Specialties, etc) but they couldn't build me the custom offsets and the wheel lips sizes I wanted with a reversed lip design. They all pretty much buy the wheel barrels from the same place and just custom cut the center piece and assemble the wheels to order. The reversed lip wheel barrels in 18" sizes are currently only available in whole sizes like 8", 9", 10", and I wanted to go wider than the standard sizes, but that always costs more. But I think it was worth it in the long run.

I'm not saying I got the best deal ever on these wheels but I think it would be hard to get the same wheels for much less IMO. I just don't want you to be dissapointed when you receive them if they are just the 2 pcs version and you were expecting the 3pc design. Better check to make sure of your order just in case.

One more thing to consider is the 265 wheels size is only 25.3" where the 295 is 26.1" tall and will be quite noticable on the car. I was going to get BFG KD tires but I didn't want the small 265 size on the front of my car as I already had a decent amount of rake to my stance with the DMS springs. Infact the 275/295 tire combo size difference I have is more pronounced that I thought it was going to be and the rear of my car looked "Jacked Up" in the rear after installing the new wheels/tires. The smaller 265's would have made the look even worse IMO. I actually just lowered the rear of my car another 1/2" since taking the pics above to offset the larger rear tires. Just someting to think about before you mount your tires on the wheels.

Here are a couple pics with the rear lowered more, looks much better IMO.

Greg
Old 06-25-2003, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

greg,
gotta love'em !!
IForged that is !!

Quick Reply: 3pc iForged wheels with 3.5" Lips FINALLY!