Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drag Wheels with some Style?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
I just saw a thread in the drag racing section of a guy ordering the Summit version, and he twisted his 1/2" studs!!!

Well, these are more like street wheels than drag wheels. And they can use stock lugnuts...so it's really no different than putting good sticky tires on your stock wheels, they will just weight a little bit less.

Not too many people complaining about twisting with stock wheels.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did grind my calipers. The backs are not really a problem just grind them until the wheels do not touch them. The fronts are a different story. When I first grinded mine they worked great until I put new pads on then I had to add a 5/16 spacer. Since I was running longer wheel studs I was not to worried.

The front wheels have a 1.75" backspacing and the backs have a 7.5" backspacing. My Formula has run a best of 10.75 ET at 123 MPH N/A with a 1.41 60 foot and the brakes appear to be working just fine.

I have had no problems with twisting studs. Now this is just my opinion but when people twist studs they are usually running some type of wheel spacer which allows this to occur.

NHRA and IHRA do not allow wheel spacers on the back wheels for this reason. I watched a car snap off all of its studs when it left the line and I will never use spacers.

Since you said your car is a strip / show car you may want to check out the new Greg Weld wheels I think he is making the XP Prostar Wheel again that Weld dropped about three years ago. He is calling it a different name but it works with our stock brakes with no grinding of the calipers at all. This is what you should do in my opinion if you decide to go with a Prostar style wheel.

The best part about the new wheel you can get it chromed which I think would be a better choice then polished alum.

Goog luck and maybe we will run into each other up at Norwalk.

Last edited by N2RACINGLS1's; 01-01-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
I did grind my calipers. The backs are not really a problem just grind them until the wheels do not touch them. The fronts are a different story. When I first grinded mine they worked great until I put new pads on then I had to add a 5/16 spacer. Since I was running longer wheel studs I was not to worried.

The front wheels have a 1.75" backspacing and the backs have a 7.5" backspacing. My Formula has run a best of 10.75 ET at 123 MPH N/A with a 1.41 60 foot and the brakes appear to be working just fine.

I have had no problems with twisting studs. Now this is just my opinion but when people twist studs they are usually running some type of wheel spacer which allows this to occur.

NHRA and IHRA do not allow wheel spacers on the back wheels for this reason. I watched a car snap off all of its studs when it left the line and I will never use spacers.

Since you said your car is a strip / show car you may want to check out the new Greg Weld wheels I think he is making the XP Prostar Wheel again that Weld dropped about three years ago. He is calling it a different name but it works with our stock brakes with no grinding of the calipers at all. This is what you should do in my opinion if you decide to go with a Prostar style wheel.

The best part about the new wheel you can get it chromed which I think would be a better choice then polished alum.

Goog luck and maybe we will run into each other up at Norwalk.

Thanks man, I appreciate the advice. Are the Greg Weld wheels your talking about already out? Or are they the ones in the other thread that are supposed to be out in Feb sometime?

If your headed up to Norwalk let me know, I plan to be up there a lot this year
Old 01-01-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if im wrong but arent the Summit wheels just a heavy cast wheel with a drag appearance? There extremely heavy compared to others being debated in the thread.

Keep in mind also that when you launch or run the car the weight of those wheels will multiply depending on how quick your car is.

Quick Reply: Drag Wheels with some Style?