Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

New Rim is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rim is leaking

Just put on my gorgeous Aero's and I noticed one of my rear tires was a little low on air about a week after I put them on. Took it over to the tire/wheel shop that put them on and had em check the tire for any punctures. Discovered pretty much behind every spoke it was bubbling. We took it out of the water and sprayed some water on it, and my worst fears were confirmed. I've tried getting with iForge to see if there is anything we can do because I can't honestly say I've ever heard of a rim leaking air like that before.

In the event, assistance cannot be had because of how long its been after the sale (I bought them while I was in Iraq) what would my options be to fix it up so the rim stops leaking?

Thanks guys
Old 02-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Launching!

well all rims come with a manufactures defects, thats a defect, the installer couldn't make that happen. I would get with iforged and make them own up and get a new set, all the money you pay for them they should come with your own little pit crew to clean them to. lol
Old 02-04-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sammyb
well all rims come with a manufactures defects, thats a defect, the installer couldn't make that happen. I would get with iforged and make them own up and get a new set, all the money you pay for them they should come with your own little pit crew to clean them to. lol
thanks man!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

They are 3-piece wheels, the leaking is probably just from the silicone sealer that is used between the two outer hoops when they are bolted together.

Take the tires off, then disassemble the wheels. Apply some better (and use generous amounts) of high temp RTV silicone to reseal them. Get the bolt torque specs from iForged.

I'd try to call them anyways. Explain you were in Iraq and just got them mounted. Maybe they will reseal them for you, since it is rare that they leak.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
They are 3-piece wheels, the leaking is probably just from the silicone sealer that is used between the two outer hoops when they are bolted together.

Take the tires off, then disassemble the wheels. Apply some better (and use generous amounts) of high temp RTV silicone to reseal them. Get the bolt torque specs from iForged.

I'd try to call them anyways. Explain you were in Iraq and just got them mounted. Maybe they will reseal them for you, since it is rare that they leak.
WOW..lotta work for amount of money paid...is this common...I HAVE NEVER heard of it. Then again..most fancy-pants stuff is just that...I like simple better.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

thanks Tony
Old 02-04-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BigT2002
thanks Tony
I would contact them first myself.....
Old 02-04-2008, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Yea for the price you pay for those wheels they better...let us know what happens.

On a side note this is the first time I've heard of this happening
Old 02-05-2008, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah definitely keep us updated...I was looking into them for my next set of wheels and would like to know how they handle this problem before I shell out some serious money
Old 02-05-2008, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

BTW, iForged also makes 2-piece wheels that look identical, weigh about the same, and cost less. No silicone sealer either.

Leaking sealer is very rare. Sometimes the tire installers scratch it with those pry bars when mounting a tire. Sometimes it is applied wrong, but that is less likely.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Like Tony said just have the tire removed take the wheel apart and reseal it. I had to do that to two of my CCW's. You are gonna spend more money shipping it back instead of paying $10 to have the tire removed and mounted again.