Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

All Seasons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Seasons?

How many of you here run all season tires on your car?

Reason I ask is I live in PA, and last year, while it still got cold, we barely got any snow at all. All seasons would let me drive the car when it's cold out unlike summer tires which would harden up on me. Thoughts?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

There is actually much debate about them. I am going to be buying a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 AS's early next week. (Havent racing tires in NH does not work)
Some people say having an all season tire makes your handling WORSE than having a snow tire setup, and summer tire setup, and that they are in fact subpar during all seasons, but personally I disagree.
But some people just cant afford the price/time of both, which is why they made all season tires in the first place.

Of course a summer tire would be better in the summer than an AS, and a snow tire better in the snow as in AS. Its all up to the driver.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

I had a set of the BFG super sport AS's and I loved them. I only had them for a few months because I sold my car soon after I got them but they were relatively grippy and quiet. Plus they had a 400 tread wear rating on them so they should last for quite a while too.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get you some sumitomo's! I have ran 3 different types of sumitomos and they all were better then my stock goodyear f1's! I moved to missouri so i have to drive to the snow/ice and i got the all season sumitomo's and wow they helped out alot and they are under $100 each!

Ultra High Performance All-Season
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=1

Ultra High Performance All-Season radial that was developed to meet the year-round driving needs of sports car, coupe and sedan drivers by blending dry and wet road performance with light snow and slush traction. The HTR+ radial combines Sumitomo’s high-tech, ultra high performance materials and methods with their latest All-Season technology.

The Sumitomo HTR+ radial’s all-season tread compound is molded into a pattern that blends performance with year-round traction. Independent shoulder and intermediate tread blocks enhance dry cornering and stability, while the tread's four, wide circumferential and curvilinear grooves combine to enhance wet traction and reduce the risk of hydroplaning. The HTR+ radial’s “Reverse Pattern Siping” adds strategically located biting edges in the tread pattern to increase light snow traction. Internally, every HTR+ radial’s twin steel belts are reinforced by JointLess Band (JLB) technology which uses spirally-wound nylon reinforcement to provide long-term integrity under high speed conditions while it reduces weight and helps provide more uniform ride quality.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Launching!

I'm really leaning toward the BFGoodrich tires. The sumitomo's are ranked at the bottom of the list for the UHP all season tires that come in the stock size. Plus the BF's have a better UTQG rating. I dunno though. Under $100 bucks for a good tire is very appealing. I'm going to call a couple local places today and see if they carry the BF's but I bet they won't be able to match tire racks price. Even with shipping.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniTransAm
How many of you here run all season tires on your car?

Reason I ask is I live in PA, and last year, while it still got cold, we barely got any snow at all. All seasons would let me drive the car when it's cold out unlike summer tires which would harden up on me. Thoughts?

Part of the deal is that the tire companies try to fill the needs of "the masses" with a minimum number of tires in their catalog. PLUS, in these days of frivilous law suits, they try to cover their buns, if someone tries to run a "summer" tire in snow and subsequently crashes. Therefore, they tend to offer more tires in the "all season" category, which sometimes limits your choices in a particular size.

I see in your avatar that you're in Lancaster, PA, and you say that you don't get much snow. MANY years ago, when I was a little kid, my father's employer transferred him a couple of times. We left the Jersey Shore area, which really never got snow, and moved to New Holland,PA, where I saw a little snow for the first time. I was 4 years old at that point. From there, we moved to, and stayed in, western New York, where we sometimes REALLY get dumped on. I definitely use snow tires here.....on my 4x4 pick up!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Part of the deal is that the tire companies try to fill the needs of "the masses" with a minimum number of tires in their catalog. PLUS, in these days of frivilous law suits, they try to cover their buns, if someone tries to run a "summer" tire in snow and subsequently crashes. Therefore, they tend to offer more tires in the "all season" category, which sometimes limits your choices in a particular size.

I see in your avatar that you're in Lancaster, PA, and you say that you don't get much snow. MANY years ago, when I was a little kid, my father's employer transferred him a couple of times. We left the Jersey Shore area, which really never got snow, and moved to New Holland,PA, where I saw a little snow for the first time. I was 4 years old at that point. From there, we moved to, and stayed in, western New York, where we sometimes REALLY get dumped on. I definitely use snow tires here.....on my 4x4 pick up!
Oh believe me I understand snow!! I moved here for just north of Albany, NY a few years ago. I remember some epic snow storms up that way. Last year was a freak year that we didn't get much snow. Normally we get more but I guess global warming is going to kill us all! The car will never be driven in the snow, it was more the cold weather I was worried about.

But I just took the plunge and bought the BF's. It's amazing how much cheaper tires are on tire rack. I figure that the all seasons will be a much more versatile tire and god forbid something happens to my daily driver, the T/A will be in a much better position to drive for a while while I fix/find replacement for the DD

Thanks everyone for the input!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your loss I have ran bfg and seem about the same dry but the sumitomos were alot better in snow and ice then the BFG's hell you can look at the thread and tell that they bit more in snow damn things have better thread then my 4x4 A/T tires LOL. BFG=big name thats over rated. Also has the goodyear f1 all season better and i didnt care for them either

Last edited by SIC LSX; 07-10-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MiniTransAm
I'm really leaning toward the BFGoodrich tires. The sumitomo's are ranked at the bottom of the list for the UHP all season tires that come in the stock size. Plus the BF's have a better UTQG rating. I dunno though. Under $100 bucks for a good tire is very appealing. I'm going to call a couple local places today and see if they carry the BF's but I bet they won't be able to match tire racks price. Even with shipping.
I agree with 97camarozguy, the BFG super sport All seasons on the car now are the BEST overall tires I've ever had on the car.
Near MAX performance summer tire grip in the warm/dry, the best rain performance I've ever had, and VERY GOOD cold/dry grip.
We did not get much snow here last winter, so I never got to really try them in those conditions, but the tread pattern and compound look to be good for that as well!

Goodyear does not make the F1 all seasons in the stock/OEM 245/50 16 size, and probably never will, so unless you have 17s you cannot even consider them.

Try Discount Tire Direct (I believe they are still a site sponsor??), tell them you are from this site, and ask about ANY BFG/Michelin rebates/discounts.
They also have free shipping I believe.
The cost difference between the Sumi HTRs and the BFG SS A/S is not enough to make up for the wear/perfomance difference, especially if you get rebates/discounts on them.
Besides, the BFGs are made HERE, albeit under the ownership of Michelin.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I agree with 97camarozguy, the BFG super sport All seasons on the car now are the BEST overall tires I've ever had on the car.
Near MAX performance summer tire grip in the warm/dry, the best rain performance I've ever had, and VERY GOOD cold/dry grip.
We did not get much snow here last winter, so I never got to really try them in those conditions, but the tread pattern and compound look to be good for that as well!

Goodyear does not make the F1 all seasons in the stock/OEM 245/50 16 size, and probably never will, so unless you have 17s you cannot even consider them.

Try Discount Tire Direct (I believe they are still a site sponsor??), tell them you are from this site, and ask about ANY BFG/Michelin rebates/discounts.
They also have free shipping I believe.
The cost difference between the Sumi HTRs and the BFG SS A/S is not enough to make up for the wear/perfomance difference, especially if you get rebates/discounts on them.
Besides, the BFGs are made HERE, albeit under the ownership of Michelin.
You pretty much summed up why I went with the BFG's instead of sumitomo's. I also tend to trust tireracks reviews completly when i'm shopping and seeing the sumi's near the bottom turned me off. I'm sure that they are a decent tire, I just opted to spend a bit more money for more tread life and performance. They should be here tommorow, don't know if they will get on the car or not. Now I just need to find a good spot to "use up" my old tires
Old 07-11-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 on the BFG Super Sports....I have run these on 2 different cars for about a year now, hook pretty well, great rain traction, and they are wearing nicely.