Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

New rears - Toyo R888's

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got my toyo's from http://www.onlinetires.com/?gclid=CL...FQIyxwodXVclag and another good one http://www.tires-easy.com/start.html
Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
you realize these are r-compound road course/autox tires, right.....and NOT meant for the street or drag strip. i dont care how well you think theyll hook.....youll heat cycle them out in no time, the rubber will wear down, possibly chunk out, and god help you if you have these on during the winter, or anything under 60 deg. toyo says right on their website R888s are NOT to be used during winter, and should be taken off the car and stored properly in a warm climate.
They are DOT legal thats all we care about. I would be driving them on the street.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I didnt want a DR but I did want something slightly better traction than street tires. These fit my needs perfectly. No they will not be seeing winter and yes I realized they are an R-Compound. They aren't chunking out but don't have a very long life, but what would you expect?

So I'm putting toyo r888's on my truck for this winter, whos with me...
Old 08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

would these be a better option for 1st gear traction with a stall than nitto 555r?
getting a 3600 stall, i need to switch out my falken azenis rt-615's for a real R rated tread compound.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 52172
They are DOT legal thats all we care about. I would be driving them on the street.
my kuhmo v710s are 'DOT legal' too. does that mean you drive them on the street? dont think so.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you echomirage, these are autocross tires, especially if they're doing the 'balling up' crap you're talking about.
52172, you need to consider a set of nitto 555rIIs for that car if you autocross it. Theyre kinda pricey, but good all around tires that will stick pretty well and serve a good all around purpose. Nothing short of a slick is going to hook the power you're making unless you're setup strictly for drag racing, and it sounds like thats not the only thing you're into.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think this 'balling up' term is getting taken out of proportion. There arent literally ***** of rubber just sitting on the tires. Also, I would recommend them over 555r's cause I've taken an 03 cobra with 555rs out of the hole with these. Definitely softer to the touch. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-29-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

youll learn soon enough. just becuase you think they hook better then 555Rs doesnt mean theyre better tires for the street. if all you care about is drag racing, then you should have gone with a DR. in addition to everything i already mentioned, i can guarantee youll have to buy new tires by next year. even if theyre stored correctly (which is more then just not driving over the winter), the rubber will just harden up naturally and youll lose all this wonderful grip youre talking about. theyll heat cycle out, harden, and itll be like driving on slush. trust me, ive been there. i tried to get 2 seasons out of my r-comp. 710s. all season, ive been driving on ice because of them. and this 'season' means all of 10-12 autoxs, with NO street time other then driving 5min to the race and back.

these might last a little longer, because they came with some tread and can be shaved, but even still theyre not street or drag tires. if you dont believe me, fine you dont have to. i wont have to change your mind when you learn on your own soon enough.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
youll learn soon enough. just becuase you think they hook better then 555Rs doesnt mean theyre better tires for the street. if all you care about is drag racing, then you should have gone with a DR. in addition to everything i already mentioned, i can guarantee youll have to buy new tires by next year. even if theyre stored correctly (which is more then just not driving over the winter), the rubber will just harden up naturally and youll lose all this wonderful grip youre talking about. theyll heat cycle out, harden, and itll be like driving on slush. trust me, ive been there. i tried to get 2 seasons out of my r-comp. 710s. all season, ive been driving on ice because of them. and this 'season' means all of 10-12 autoxs, with NO street time other then driving 5min to the race and back.

these might last a little longer, because they came with some tread and can be shaved, but even still theyre not street or drag tires. if you dont believe me, fine you dont have to. i wont have to change your mind when you learn on your own soon enough.
Dude, you are not looking at this as the people buying it as a street tire are.
It's completely subjective whether or not this is a street tire, I'm sure there are plenty of people driving with r-compounds on their dailys. There are plenty of people rolling with drag radials everyday too, and yeah, they're pissed when they get caught in the rain, but it's a compromise they choose to make.
I guarantee you my friend will have gone through these ******* by the end of October. Or Kumhos. Or MT DRs. Or shitty *** long life tires. He doesn't baby his car and he's not looking for maximum mileage out of a set of tires, he's looking for something that will hook when he wants it to and spin when he wants.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^Thank you. Exactly the point for me getting these. Well put sir
Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ballistic Jello
he's looking for something that will hook when he wants it to and spin when he wants.
They'll hook, but burnout's aren't a good idea as you already found out.

Quick Reply: New rears - Toyo R888's