Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate them, they are disgusting.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Summer
wat the... that is awesome. i remember you stressin about what kind of wheel you wanted for a while.. i was excited you went with the z06 but DAYAM that blows everything outta the water.. sucks they polished tho.. Just make sure you keep those clean so they always look fab!

on a diff note.. why is your car taken apart???? maybe i missed something
thanks, and i love your car btw....i did stress a lot over wheels and these just popped up. i hate polished too, but only for the maintenance. the look of these wheels in person is second to none, mainly because they come from one solid billet block, not a casting, but the finish is remarkable. the car is apart because my old motor broke....obviously this doesn't require completely tearing stuff apart, but i was going to re-paint the front bumper (not now though) and i'm also painting the engine bay to match the exterior of the car. EVERYTHING in front of the firewall, except fenders and bumper, will be 100% brand new and badass

to the rest of ya'll:

20x11's and 19x9.5's
yes, the 454 will dominate
the rims ARE killer, and i think they're too big too, but only time will tell their fate.

thanks for the kind words guys/gals. i started an overall progress thread on a local board, but will get one up on here once i get the car back from paint. it will go together quite fast. i missed my deadline i had set previously, so i've been taking a little more time and focusing on some details i otherwise would have neglected. keep your eyes peeled for a new thread with words like "ccw/sunoco/454/som/6xxrwhp NA" in the title
Old 09-06-2008, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they look good in those sizes! Wanna do a write up on how you fixed the rash? I bought my Fikse's used and the old owner hit a couple curbs
Old 09-06-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I think they look good in those sizes! Wanna do a write up on how you fixed the rash? I bought my Fikse's used and the old owner hit a couple curbs
yeah, i started to. i took some before pictures, but i didn't really capture the essence of the damage and i also didn't really take any "during" pictures...but basically what i did was:

-**** a little, when i looked at my CCW's next to the pile of sandpaper, soaking in water.

-start with 800 grit, wet and see how long it takes to rub the damage down/out. go WITH the rim/grain. don't sand in circles or erratic-all-over motions. keep a spray bottle handy to keep the wheel lubed up. you can add a little dish soap to help lubricate if you feel it is necessary.

-if 800 isn't coarse enough, go to 600. i went as low as 320 on a couple spots. i wetsanded with every grit except the 320.

-work your way up through the grits, 320-400-600-800-1000-1200-1500-2000. make sure you do NOT move on to a higher grit until all the scratches are uniform in direction and especially in depth. the purpose of sanding is to replace one grit's scratches with smaller ones from the next grit. be sure to keep the paper and wheel wet.

-get an electric drill and chuck up a buffing wheel. ad a little tripoli polish to the wheel and slowly start buffing up the repaired area. the key to the buffing process is heat. getting the part hot enough to let the polish do what it does is equally as important as getting the surface smooth enough to buff up. tripoli will usually remove 1000-grit scratches, but the finer you sand, the better the finish will be and the faster it will shine up.

-after the tripoli, change to a new buffing wheel and hit it with the white buffing compound. the should totally/almost totally remove any sign of repair work. the white compound is typically the last one used on aluminum. there are finer, and coarser, compounds. just use what you see fit, being sure to work coarse to fine, just like with sandpaper.

-once this is all done, get some white vinegar diluted with mineral-free water and wash the wheel(s). use 0000 steel wool to remove any brake dust (carefully) or stubborn stains. dry the wheel off with a clean microfiber towel.

-bust out the powerball or other preferred polishing tool and Mother's Billet polish, or powermetal polish......or whatever you prefer. thoroughly go over the inner and outter wheel surfaces. use a powerball-mini where necessary.

-wipe down with CLEAN microfiber towl.

-get latex gloves, like the doctor uses...

-apply another coat of Mother's (or your polish) in small areas at a time by hand. when it turns to a black liquid, wipe off with ANOTHER CLEAN microfiber towel.

-stand back

-fap 'til it hurts

BEFORE

AFTER

it takes a LOT of patience and a LOT of time. i try to dedicate one day per wheel (after i work 8 hours, eat, shower, etc...) or a whole weekend to all 4. that way i take my time and don't get pissed as fast. the difference from start to finish can be staggering. it is worth every bit of effort, BUT the sad thing is, there are shops that charge $30-$50 or so per wheel to do what took you all day in 30 minutes....

EDIT: one thing you'll have to realise BEFORE you start working on the wheels, is there may be areas you CAN'T repair, like when the edge of the rim gets dented inward, or material is removed completely. you CAN sand/buff these areas to the point where they aren't noticeable, but with adding material (welding), you can't completely restore the wheel.

i have ONE more spot to repair on one of the rear wheels. i'll make sure to document the process and include pictures of materials used and such. it'll be a couple weeks, but i'll do it.

Last edited by 2000_SS; 09-06-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they look like crap, you can just send them this way and I suppose I could take them off your hands and spare you the embarrassment of running them on your car.

I think it looks real good actually, the 20s on the back look pretty sick. Will be interesting to see what it looks like when its back on the ground all back together.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jakson
I think they look like crap, you can just send them this way and I suppose I could take them off your hands and spare you the embarrassment of running them on your car.

I think it looks real good actually, the 20s on the back look pretty sick. Will be interesting to see what it looks like when its back on the ground all back together.
yeah, just let me get new tires on them and i'll deliver them myself ...right....

i think i'll be sporting some lowering springs in the rear, i can tell already....
Old 09-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Launching!

peety pablo wants his wheels back bitch!
Old 09-06-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by drews94z-28
peety pablo wants his wheels back bitch!
yeah? well....your mom called...she uh.....liked the sex
Old 09-06-2008, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
yeah? well....your mom called...she uh.....liked the sex
I think I also heard her say bigger was better.....yeah that was her.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Launching!

hahaha! those damn orange jomo camaros are never on the road! trade ya a ccw for the $$$ u owe me?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

hahaha! those damn orange jomo camaros are never on the road! trade ya a ccw for the $$$ u owe me?
ok deal

i had a bill in the truck for 2 weeks waiting for you, but i never saw you out, and got hungry...then i wanted a new fishin' pole....
Old 09-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

yeah with the ss down u won't see me out...been stating home saving for goodies. who's doing ur paint work?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

yeah with the ss down u won't see me out...been stating home saving for goodies. who's doing ur paint work?
jodie cook's doin my engine bay and hood. supposedly my engine is next in line to be built, i "*may*" have it by next weekend, but i doubt it. should be within the next 2 weeks....then the DOMN8R will return
Old 09-06-2008, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice man.

what size tires front and rear???

WANNA SELL THEM???
Hehehe
Old 09-06-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Very nice man.

what size tires front and rear???

WANNA SELL THEM???
Hehehe

thanks man. IIRC they're 275/30's up front and 295/25's out back, that might not be right though...the rears are going to be replaced with a 305 or 315 though.

i MAY sell them, but it won't be until after the car is completely done. i'd prefer to trade though, but we'll see what happens.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Launching!

so when are we heading to see mr.wright, that's the question!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

so when are we heading to see mr.wright, that's the question!
we may not....i was 100% satisfied with his work, but i think i might have somebody else do it...like somebody that has tuned a couple motors like mine before. you know, make a road trip/vacation out of it....but we'll see.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

nice wheels
Old 09-07-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

damn you lucky bastard

Quick Reply: Mocked up the CCW's...