Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

best snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fccs
You sound like a friend of mine, if you cant afford a beater then maybe you shouldn't have the car you have. My friend bought a 06 corvette BARELY afforded the monthly payments on it and then when winter came around he expected to drive it in the snow even tho I said he was a ******* moron and would not be able nor should drive that in the snow. He didn't listen and wound up cracking the whole rear of his car when me and a few friends had to pull him out of a sewer ditch.
And seriously, im 18, I own this car and another car. You should have looked into other money costs before you bought the car. I have insurance on the trans am for 6months out of the year for driving on the road, then I have liability only on my beater for winter. If I could afford it making $200 a week at a normal $8hr job I think you could but just dont want to put the effort into working. Everyone here has said the same thing, if you want to drive that in the winter It would cost much more then just snow tires but everything in the longrun on the car would be costing money. If you dont want to get a small cheap car that costs $1000 to buy and $300 for 6month insurance liability, then how the **** can you afford to drive the firebird in the winter. Idk how many people ask these questions and seriously if you cant think of these things on your own maybe you shouldn't be complaining WHEN WE GIVE YOU ADVICE that your not happy with.
A car for 1000 bucks is not going to be that reliable, at least 2000 for a decent beater. Plus insurance as you mentioned. I used to drive over 100mi a day, and need something reliable. Been using snow tires for 3 years.

Snow Tires = $850

Another Car = 2000 + 600*3 years insur = $3800 (probably more since my rates are higher than that)

Pretty simple decision if you ask me. Plus my snow tires have at least 2-3 more seasons on them!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
A car for 1000 bucks is not going to be that reliable, at least 2000 for a decent beater. Plus insurance as you mentioned. I used to drive over 100mi a day, and need something reliable. Been using snow tires for 3 years.

Snow Tires = $850

Another Car = 2000 + 600*3 years insur = $3800 (probably more since my rates are higher than that)

Pretty simple decision if you ask me. Plus my snow tires have at least 2-3 more seasons on them!

Everybody keeps banging the drum about the insurance!!! What are you thinking?

You drive the Firebird (or whatever) 8 months a year, you have insurance on it. You take it off the road for 4 months and drive the beater...you switch the insurance (and plates) to the beater. You're only insuring ONE car at a time!! (other than a NOMINAL amount for fire and theft on the good car, and that's only if your storage place is questionable)

Therefore, there's NO ADDITIONAL expense for the second car, other than the initial purchase, and if you shop carefully, you can get a beater that will last 3-4 winters.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're forgetting the fact hes in college and doesnt own his own house....so where is he going to store his firebird? His parents wont let him, he wont even be driving that much, just if he needs to be able to get through a couple inches he wants to be able to.

anyways, 225/55-16 or 225/60?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

god damn guys get the f-off with the beater car bs already. Here is what you do, have 2 options for you to choose from. 1. Look for someone selling 2 wheels(same ones you have on the car now so it matches) and buy some bridgestone blizzaks to throw on them and mount them on the back of the car. 2 If you have 2 worn out tires already then you could save some money now and just replace the tires with the snow tires then look for 2 wheels in the spring. Simple as that really, i have been running the blizzak's for over 7 years now (use to run all four tires but found that wasnt needed and the snows just on the back wheels is totally fine). I drive my car year round in all weather salt and all. Only thing rusted is the rear end and they all rust due to no paint on them but the under carage is totally fine no rust, dirty sure but rust lol. I swear to you if you put these tires on you wont have a problem in even 10 inches of snow, 12 gave me problems but my car is lowered so it tended to ride up on the snow and get stuck. Hell there were plenty of times my friends and i would all go out to joyride in the snow,do doughnuts and such(how do you think i know 12 inches of snow is too much lol). Now i do have to say that i keep the gas tank more than half full during these times, i also have a 75 lb speaker box over the axle so that helps a bit. Only real reason to get a beater is to avoid crashing your **** or someone crashing into you then again if you get a beater and it gets crashed oh now you got to get another beater and waste more money. Just trying to give you some real usefull info and my own personal experience.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
..... Only real reason to get a beater is to avoid crashing your **** or someone crashing into you then again if you get a beater and it gets crashed oh now you got to get another beater and waste more money. Just trying to give you some real usefull info and my own personal experience.
Since you're from Edison, a couple of miles up the road from my home town, I'll cut you some slack. However, I know that you DON'T get any significant snowfall there. One time a few years back, my cousin called me, needing a tidbit of family info. She was intending to leave a message on my machine, but I was working "B" shift, so I was at home. I asked why she was at home instead of work. She says they're shut down because of a"snowstorm". I asked how much snow fell, she said "An inch or so".

I fell on the floor, I was laughing so hard. She said, "What's so funny?" I said that when we get an inch of snow here in the Rocheser, NY area, it means we slow down to 55!! We're prepared and equipped to deal with it. That means lots of road salt, plows, and yes, cars with snow tires.

Anyway, storing the car in the winter is primarily to get the car out of the salt, as it will kill a car in no time.... As well as the danger of sliding into something, or getting slid into.

Most of us are trying to give the "OP" a little long term advice, based on our past experience.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Since you're from Edison, a couple of miles up the road from my home town, I'll cut you some slack. However, I know that you DON'T get any significant snowfall there. One time a few years back, my cousin called me, needing a tidbit of family info. She was intending to leave a message on my machine, but I was working "B" shift, so I was at home. I asked why she was at home instead of work. She says they're shut down because of a"snowstorm". I asked how much snow fell, she said "An inch or so".

I fell on the floor, I was laughing so hard. She said, "What's so funny?" I said that when we get an inch of snow here in the Rocheser, NY area, it means we slow down to 55!! We're prepared and equipped to deal with it. That means lots of road salt, plows, and yes, cars with snow tires.

Anyway, storing the car in the winter is primarily to get the car out of the salt, as it will kill a car in no time.... As well as the danger of sliding into something, or getting slid into.

Most of us are trying to give the "OP" a little long term advice, based on our past experience.

oh we get no snow fall bwaaaa your and idiot and no we don't get shut down for an inch, hell gone to work plenty of times when there was 6-8" on the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1996 scroll down to nj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey
Average snowfall per winter season range from 10 - 15 inches (25 - 38 cm) in the south and near the seacoast, 15 - 30 inches (38 - 78 cm) in the northeast and central part of the state, to about 40 - 50 inches (1 - 1,27 m) in the northwestern highlands

yea i guesss we get no snow hu

now of course you get alot more than we do and more salt let alone deeper adv snow fall per storm. Look the kid needs some real info on what to do and i gave it to him. In a perfect world we would all have several cars/trucks to deal with any situation, hell i sure could use a nice pick-up to cart **** around in but i dont have that option and for the few times i might need something like that i rent or borrow one. So for the few times he might get stuck in the snow and have to deal with it he needs a good snow tire.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Man, I'm spent $286 for Blizzak ws-50 tires, they were discounted from TireRack because they were just discontinued for ws-60. I bought them in July '08, I believe.

I already have summer rims, and the stockers. Maybe $120-160 for mounting/balancing/alignment.

That's cheap. Wash the car and avoid rust. Do this weekly, heck just water it down at the carwash and get the wheel wells. If the car gets hit, it sucks but he should have full coverage. It's just an f-body, sweet car, but it isn't a brand new $50,000 car.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you only get the rears?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitdog54
thats all i run and have run for the past 7 or so years. First year i ran all four as they say that is what you need(matched set all around). Second year i got a little lazy and just threw the rears on and said i would throw the fronts on another day (was tired that day and atleast needed the rears on) well i went the whole winter with just the rears and had no issues mind you i make it a point to go driving in every snow storm espically if its deep and just plain jerk around with the car see how it reacts,brakes and such in the snow as well as to see the depth it would take to get stuck. I only run the rears now and it actually drives good in the snow go figure
Old 10-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I have the WS-50 ... as above they've been discontinued, so if they're still available, grab 'em. They're cheap right now. I have 225/55/16.

I didn't run them last winter, but my sons did rear only on their Firebirds and they said they really helped. A good all-season on the front (like BFG G-force SS/AS) with Blizzaks on the back should be good enough for most situations.

I agree with the comment by Integraxtc ... we love them, but these are f-bodies that are tanking in value - not collector cars we need to get fussy about. I got crashed into last winter by a clown ... car is repaired good as new and I'm driving it - which is what it is for.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

bwaaaa your and idiot

Real classy!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I have the WS-50 ... as above they've been discontinued, so if they're still available, grab 'em. They're cheap right now. I have 225/55/16.

I didn't run them last winter, but my sons did rear only on their Firebirds and they said they really helped. A good all-season on the front (like BFG G-force SS/AS) with Blizzaks on the back should be good enough for most situations.

I agree with the comment by Integraxtc ... we love them, but these are f-bodies that are tanking in value - not collector cars we need to get fussy about. I got crashed into last winter by a clown ... car is repaired good as new and I'm driving it - which is what it is for.
I'm not saying this kid should go out and buy another vehicle because I already recommended some snow tires but I will say that some of us plan to keep our cars for the long hall. Who cares if it's depreciating, most any car you buy will turn into a depreciating asset.

Some of us don't want rust. I know first hand working on rusty cars sucks. You don't see older cars in good condition for the most part back home in western new york because they salt the **** out of the roads and the rust literally eats cars alive.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Real classy!
Well now lets not forget who said "I know that you DON'T get any significant snowfall there" not to mention you implied that im an idiot by saying "Since you're from Edison, a couple of miles up the road from my home town, I'll cut you some slack"
Old 10-21-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Well now lets not forget who said "I know that you DON'T get any significant snowfall there" not to mention you implied that im an idiot by saying "Since you're from Edison, a couple of miles up the road from my home town, I'll cut you some slack"
I never said that you're an idiot...I simply said that you were over stating the amount of snow that the Edison area gets. I live where 100"/yr. is the norm. Where I am, we've sometimes gotten Edison's total annual snowfall in a day!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ That is true, we got completely dumped on in the middle of december last year and prob got their total snowfall lol..
Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whitdog54

all four. Discontinued ws-50. 225/55or60?/16 and during summer, not the peak of the winter-tire-needing-season.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

IF you want the absolute best, and you cannot have a winter beater ride, then the Nokian RSi (or Hakka 4/5) in either 225/55 16 (for stock alloys), or better yet in 215/60 16 (on V-6 16x7(.5?) 'steelies') can't be beat!!!

They are NOT cheap (O.P. asked for the "best"), but leave the others stuck in the ice/snow banks.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
^ That is true, we got completely dumped on in the middle of december last year and prob got their total snowfall lol..

Thank you !!!!

At least somone understands what i was trying to say.....
Old 10-21-2008, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes

Snow Tires = $850

um.. $1000 u can get a reliable car, Have you even looked around? And dont tell me yes because I along with 3other friends who do the same as me have paid less then $1500 for our beater in the winter. We all have cars we cant drive in the winter and all have had our cars for at least 2years, the beaters that is. So yea.. you could get a reliable beater for a grand smart ***