Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

drag radials or ET streets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default drag radials or ET streets?

a buddy of mine said not to get 17x11 and drag radials because the sidewall is a crappy 35 (315/35/17). he said that sidewall is more important then getting wide tires, and i should get some 15 inch wheels and some ET streets and make up the 2" difference in wheel with more sidewall. what would be wrong with this idea? are ETs more expensive? do they not last as long? what about cornering? wont the tires flex too much?

i guess im not too concerned about cornering, but cost. unless the cornering would really suck. by the way.. this is my only car. daily driver. wife uses it too. advice please?
Old 09-10-2003, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: drag radials or ET streets?

I agree with him regarding the sidewall, however if my wife were driving the car too I would not use ET Streets daily.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

why not?
i have no bolt ons and already having traction problems. im sure after all the bolt ons and a mad cam, its going to get real bad. ive heard nitto dr's last 15k miles? how long will ET streets last? how much are they?

on one hand, the colonel did cut 10's w/ dr's (i heard), but the track is prepped, and the street is crappy.

i know the tires are kinda cheap, but the wheels are an investment!
Old 09-11-2003, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

ET Streets? about 5K, if you are lucky. If you are having traction issues with a stock car, you will prolly be burning through them, faster than that! At $165/ea, (plus tubes, optional) not to mention the handling, or lack there of, never mind rain, I can't believe you would even consider these for an only car/dd, but that's just me
Old 09-11-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't do ET Streets unless you have a 12-bolt. A pair of Nitto DRs will do you fine unless you are putting down seriious power. I am considering running the 17" ET Streets (when they come out) after I get my F1 427, but I'll have over 750RWHP. If you are pretty stock, there is no reason to go with a pair of ET Streets, especailly for a daily driver. It's a waste of money and it may destroy your rear end. If you are having traction problems, I would suggest some suspension mods: LCA, relocation brackets, and maybe a torque arm.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

IMO you would be out of your mind to daily drive on ET streets. To say the car handles terrible with ET streets on it would be an understatement. And like 30th TA said, forget about driving in rain. Sounds like nittos would be a better bet.

Jordan
Old 09-12-2003, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Nittos will be ok for a daily driver. I've run them for over a year in all weather except ice and snow. Since I'm getting new wheels, I'm keeping a pair of my 16s to use at the track with ET Streets, I'll be running regular tires on the street though. The Nittos are your best bet for a daily driver, but beware of driving in the rain when they start to wear out.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

5k miles? good god!
looks like ill be going w/ DR's

btw, how do i stop the rear from jumping up and down really fast during takeoff?
Old 09-14-2003, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think wheel hop can be reduced with some good Lower Control Arms and some re-location brackets.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you wnt absolute best traction on a daily driver, I'd go with a 15" drag radial...say a 315/60/15 or so. ET Streets are dangerous if ever in rain and handle crappy anyway.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

ET streets are just slicks with 2 little grooves in them to gain DOT approval. you could get ET streets and swap them on when you want to go to the track but if you dont want to change tires all the time(like me)just get some wide drag radials and you should be fine. my nittos pulled 1.9's on a stock suspension and they dont wear out very fast. also, i have driven them in all weather conditions including ice and snow and they are exellent tires. dont go doing stupid things in the ice/snow though cuz they are not a miracle tire. i have however punched it from like 10mph in the rain and they held perfectly.