Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to install the "iSimple iphone car kit" into your Camaro (or 'Bird)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

does anyone have the part number for isimple
Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead anyone
Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by cancam99ss
does anyone have the part number for isimple
Does anyone know how to use Google?

ISGM73 fits 95-02 Camaro & Firebird with the same restrictions as mentioned earlier - the HU must support the external CD changer. That means that it probably won't work in your 99 Camaro if you have a CD head unit.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Works great!

This thing works and sounds great!! Its the best way to keep up with audio modern technology.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
This thing works and sounds great!! Its the best way to keep up with audio modern technology.
Glad you like it. I really dig mine too!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Teching In

What is the specific code I need to look for on the inside of my radio I have a 2000 firehawk I want to install this in and I assume the radio was made in 99 and is there a new and updated isimple kit that comes with the cable that will charge my iPhone 4? Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Centerfold_Firehawk
What is the specific code I need to look for on the inside of my radio I have a 2000 firehawk I want to install this in and I assume the radio was made in 99 and is there a new and updated isimple kit that comes with the cable that will charge my iPhone 4? Thanks
The change was made mid-99 model year (not calendar year) so your 2000 model year vehicle is capable of supporting the external CD changer or an auxiliary interface. If you really want to take it apart to check, read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section for information on finding the code.

You would be best to check the manufacturer's website for any product updates.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody know if you use google maps with your iphone plugged into the isimple will it speak the directions through the speakers? I expect it would have to be on AUX with no music playing through the system. Thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

To answer my own question - if you have your iPhone plugged in and head unit on aux (or"play" for Trans Ams) but not listening to music - google maps will speak directions through the speakers. So I basically have factory-style GPS in my car once I figure out a good mounting point - and it is better than my Garmin handheld because that is difficult to hear with the top down.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My steering wheel buttons no longer work and the music doesn't automatically start with iOS7. I can't hit Play using the Control Screen, either. I have to go to the iTunes App to start music. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ceta4zng
Anybody know if you use google maps with your iphone plugged into the isimple will it speak the directions through the speakers? I expect it would have to be on AUX with no music playing through the system. Thanks
Yes answered this question, BUT it also works with music playing from the iphone at the same time as well. It just lowers the musics' volume and you can hear google maps just fine. I have an iphone 5 (with IOS 7) and use a REAL Apple 30 pin to lightning adaptor. EVERYTHING works like it did with my iphone 4.

To answer my own question - if you have your iPhone plugged in and head unit on aux (or"play" for Trans Ams) but not listening to music - google maps will speak directions through the speakers. So I basically have factory-style GPS in my car once I figure out a good mounting point - and it is better than my Garmin handheld because that is difficult to hear with the top down.
You're right, it's JUST like a factory GPS. It's AWESOME! Now look at my mount and build one. Or I can build you one. It's the perfect spot!

Originally Posted by Qcon
My steering wheel buttons no longer work and the music doesn't automatically start with iOS7. I can't hit Play using the Control Screen, either. I have to go to the iTunes App to start music. Anyone else have this problem?
I had an issue kind of like that. I just restarted my phone and my steering wheel controls came back. Every now and then your iphone just needs a re-boot from running all the data they do all day and night.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Found a pic of my set up...

I used this connector:

My iphone 5 holder:

Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks - your set up doesn't work for me - I have convertible top and traction control switches where you have yours mounted. I ran my cable through my ashtray (drilled a hole, rubber grommet) so I could hide it away - so my best option is something in the cup holder (either one). something like this

(non-sponsor link removed)

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-19-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks - your set up doesn't work for me - I have convertible top and traction control switches where you have yours mounted. I ran my cable through my ashtray (drilled a hole, rubber grommet) so I could hide it away - so my best option is something in the cup holder (either one). something like this

(non-sponsor link removed)
Bummer. You could make a stealth one on your swing out cup holder. I toyed with the idea, and it would still be hidden.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 AM

Default Installation problem with GM-9 AUX

Hi guys.

My english is not perfect. Sorry for this..

I bought this GM-9 aux today for my 96' Cavalier.
It looks like my Delco cassete player doesnt has the factory 9 PIN plug. Only the power plug..

Please Look at these links:
https://i.imgur.com/MD8S0Hn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XJWA5Un.jpg

Is there something i can do with this?
Somebody?

Thank you.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

It does not matter that there is nothing connected to the 9-pin socket on the back of your head unit - if there had been a cable there you would have unplugged it anyway to install the GM9-AUX.

Just follow the instructions and plug the adapter into the empty 9-pin socket.

Quick Reply: How to install the "iSimple iphone car kit" into your Camaro (or 'Bird)