Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

50 pairs of Bazooka 6.5" DVC Subwoofers Back in Stock!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I don't like using anything other than poly or metal inside of doors.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure that these speakers were even from the same product line. It just popped in my mind because the basket was very similar. Do you get pretty good midbass out of these? The set I had mentioned earlier was lacking in the bass department and had almost too much mid for me. I just don't have too much experience with CDT, with the exception of a few vehicles that have came in over the years with them in it. Any decent 3 way passive setups available?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Dang man. I didn't even knew they still made Bazookas. I remember when I was young, I would dream that I had some Bazookas in my car.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by M-ManLA
Dang man. I didn't even knew they still made Bazookas. I remember when I was young, I would dream that I had some Bazookas in my car.
I wanted a bazooka when I was a kid. I didn't dream so far as to put one in my car.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
"These will also work in Camaros by wiring the coils in parallel to achieve the 2ohm load."

All you have to do is wire them like the first picture top left (Which is what Pentavolvo and I mentioned) to make them work in your Camaro. I can wire them for you if you need me to.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but what exactly do you mean by wire them up and how much extra would you charge for that?

Im looking at buying some of the Bazooka 6.5's from your site for my 2000 Firebird with a Monsoon system, my drivers side sub-woofer just died, and when i bought it it didnt have a passenger sub-woofer so im missing the harness that is attached to the speaker
Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah....I was refering to the Camaro and how they are wired. It was something I could do real quick at them time.
You missing an actual connector off the speaker. I don't have any of those at all and they aren't made aftermarket for the DVC subs.
Your best bet is going to the junk yard and getting a blown one for the harness. otherwise you will have to splice into the stock connector to hook them up.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:54 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick response!
Ah I figured as much but it was worth a shot to ask.
Is there any risk with just running one sub-woofer while I scavenge the local junk yards for another connector ?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eyuras
Wow, thanks for the quick response!
Ah I figured as much but it was worth a shot to ask.
Is there any risk with just running one sub-woofer while I scavenge the local junk yards for another connector ?
no, it won't hurt anything.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Teching In

I was wondering what happens if you just put a 6.5" 2 ohm woofer in the sail panels? Will it be as powerfull as the stock dual voice coil 4 ohm setup? Reason I ask is that I have a set of compont speakers around and was thinking about putting just the woofer in.

I just bought the Trans Am last year and the guy before did a hack job to the speakers so I figured since there was a amp in it i might as well make use out of it but I have to find speakers to put in stock locations the rear ones got one missing and i was wondering can I put any 4" 4ohm Woofer speaker with around 20 rms watts in there? And the other ones look like something that came from the walmart clearance isle.

I had good luck with kenwood stuff so i was thinking about doing the rear with a pair of KFC-1052S keeping stock tweeters since they work and not missing
the front i was going to do a pair of KFC-X1720P they are Components but i wasn't going to use the Crossover Network and i was going to keep the stock tweeter again
for the sail panels I was going to use some 3ohm speakers i had from a previous project KFC-X172 but after reading all these forums that might not work so wondering if i can put that 2 ohm Component woofer in and get it to work like stock. i know i hooked those 3ohm ones up to the rear 4" plug and the stock one was still louder than this one but it might of had something to do with this one can handle alot more watts.

But if anyone could lend there .02 to this i would appreciate it very much
Old 03-31-2010, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

No, you should not put 2-ohm speakers in the sail panels of a Firebird. First and foremost, the Firebird Monsoon amp is not 2-ohm stable on the sail panel channels. The first time you crank up the volume you'll let all the smoke out of the amp (once you let the smoke out of electronics they don't work anymore). Second, the dual voice coil setup produces more power because it has two amp channels going to each speaker - it has nothing to do with the impedance rating.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

What he said.
The first time you crank up the volume you'll let all the smoke out of the amp (once you let the smoke out of electronics they don't work anymore)
Old 04-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, you should not put 2-ohm speakers in the sail panels of a Firebird. First and foremost, the Firebird Monsoon amp is not 2-ohm stable on the sail panel channels. The first time you crank up the volume you'll let all the smoke out of the amp (once you let the smoke out of electronics they don't work anymore). Second, the dual voice coil setup produces more power because it has two amp channels going to each speaker - it has nothing to do with the impedance rating.
That's some really helpfull advice I had no idea and I guess i never thought about that. What about the front door panel is it ok to use a 2 ohm speaker there?
And any 4 ohm 4" speaker should just about do the trick in the back rear hatch?

I really do appreciate this help. As far as sail panel speakers looks like two options? stock or those bazooka's?
Old 04-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

There aren't many dual voice coil 6.5" subs around. Kee Audio carries two other brands - Audiopipe and AudioDrift. I have the Audiopipe subs in my car and they work very well with the Monsoon amp. I'm not familiar with AudioDrift but Ian could give you more information. The Bazookas are popular because they drop right in, are inexpensive, and they work much better than the stock speakers.

Another option is elemental designs' e3.6 subs. They have been known by other model names such as EU-700. They work very well but they are deeper than stock and require a spacer for mounting.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Thank you whitebird00 for getting back to me I did a quick search for those elemental designs e3.6 subs here is what i found http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=33 price isn't that bad at all $39.99 how does that compare to those Audiopipe 6.5" you think? Do those Audiopipe just fit in without any modifications?

What did you go with for the speakers in the doors? Like i said before i was going to go with those 2-ohm kenwoods KFC-X1720P but I wasn't going to use the tweeter and crossover http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ers/KFC-X1720P since I have them already and figured i put them to use if i could. The information i found out about the car and the speakers was here http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Servic...bodyStereo.htm since i had noway of knowing what was in the car from stock since the guy before me ripped them all out that's where i got the front speakers are 2-ohms stock.

Those 4" speakers in the rear panel are 4-ohms and will just about any 4-ohm speaker that fits work there?

Sorry about all the questions. Regards
Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Ian, in the first post of this thread the links do not work, fyi.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Personally, I prefer the CDT components that Kee Audio sells. I have a set in my doors and they sound great.

Firebirds have the advantage of using components that are mounted separately (compared with Camaro components which are mounted coaxially). That makes it much easier to find aftermarket replacements. Don't worry too much about whether they are 2-ohm or 4-ohm. Aftermarket speakers are generally so much more efficient than stock that the increase in impedance to 4-ohms won't make any noticeable difference in volume.

Kenwood makes decent (but not outstanding) speakers so those would work fine in your doors. Some people really like Infinity while others find them too harsh ("ear bleeding" is a term often used). Alpine has some decent components that will fit. Your choice is really up to personal preference. Listen to some at an audio store and pick the ones you feel sound best to you.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Do those Audiopipe DVC 6.5" just fit in without any spacers?

Thanks so much for all the help. Regards
Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by toxshox
Do those Audiopipe DVC 6.5" just fit in without any spacers?

Thanks so much for all the help. Regards
Yes.I have them in mine.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Wondering between these 2 brands of speakers tried to do my research and i still dont know which way to go for the sail panels either the elemental designs 6.5" DVC or the Audiopipe DVC 6.5" Maybe someone could lend some advice or there experience?

As far as the front door speakers i got those kenwoods and i was going to put them in but i was wondering should i install the network crossover or shouldn't I and just install the woofer and keep stock tweeter. I thought i read somewhere that the monsoon amp already does some filtering for the speakers?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

It barely does anything. It puts the tweeter on a first order (6dB/octave) filter when most 2-way systems that don't suck use fourth order (24dB/octave) or at least second order filters on EACH driver in the system.

You're giving up a lot of sound quality if you compromise here.

Quick Reply: 50 pairs of Bazooka 6.5" DVC Subwoofers Back in Stock!!