Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

50 pairs of Bazooka 6.5" DVC Subwoofers Back in Stock!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by SS DNA
Do these subs make the panels vibrate ? I want good replacement but I dont want the side of my car vibrating like crazy.
If your panels vibrate and are not attached well to the car, you may need to apply this TSB: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rior-trim.html

I have these speakers and they work great. (No vibrations.)
Old 11-28-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have a 01 V6 camaro with the 4 speaker system, stock HU, and a solo baric in the back. what should I look at to replace the sails and doors? not sure if there are subs in the sails like the monsoon or not... i know the wiring is much more simple than the monsoon.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

whats the diff. between the standard and the premium?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standard package just has all CDT speakers which are better quality speakers. You also get the upgraded CL-E61's for the doors over the standard CL-61CV's. The major difference between the 2 are the E61 has a cast frame instead of stamped steel, larger magnet, vented pole piece and a bit larger voice coil which translates into more power handling at higher volume levels.
For a stock system the CL-61 does fine and handles an aftermarket amp as well. The CL-E61 will do fine on stock power but can handle a more powerful aftermarket amp. To give you an example of the 2 different drivers in the component sets here is picture of them side by side so you can see the difference. Both also use phase plug designs for less distortion. The CDT drivers for the CL-61CV is on the right and the CL-E61CV (EF-6) is on the left....I know it can be a bit confusing....the name of the actual drivers by themsleves in the sets are the CL-6E and the CL-E6. Anyway here are the pictures so you can see the difference between the 2.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

he mixed it up....
CL-E61CV is on the right
CL-61CV is on the right

although the new CL-61CVs come with a new lower profile stamped housing. I bought my from another seller and it came with a different housing than the one in the picture, I called CDT directly and they said I actually had the latest version.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hey kee any video with those subs installed in a camaro ?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
he mixed it up....
CL-E61CV is on the right
CL-61CV is on the right

although the new CL-61CVs come with a new lower profile stamped housing. I bought my from another seller and it came with a different housing than the one in the picture, I called CDT directly and they said I actually had the latest version.
That was an older picture but I already had it on file and it still gave the idea. I did mix them up though!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Banned

I did have a video floating around of the CL-E61CV driver (used to be called the EF-6) in a door with an mdf mount...ah ha...here it is:
http://www.icixsound.com/iv/view_vid...2d13f5f431e4bb
Old 12-12-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad, but either the video doesn't capture it well or it's not extremely impressive.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the Adire Audio Extremis woofers in my DIY home speakers. 7" woofers with a +/- 13mm Xmax. They're too deep to fit in our doors though

Edit to note: That's better than the speakers you can buy at BB/CC/whatever. Don't want it to sound like I'm hating on CDT. They're still above most brands.

Last edited by dragonrage; 12-12-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Not bad, but either the video doesn't capture it well or it's not extremely impressive.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the Adire Audio Extremis woofers in my DIY home speakers. 7" woofers with a +/- 13mm Xmax. They're too deep to fit in our doors though

Edit to note: That's better than the speakers you can buy at BB/CC/whatever. Don't want it to sound like I'm hating on CDT. They're still above most brands.
Perhaps comparing home speakers to car speakers isn't a very good comparison?
I haven't heard the Kee speakers, but for what you get for the price, if they're comparable to OEM or even just slightly better, it looks like a good deal.

There's plenty of options for no-compromises audio at higher price points.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Saturn5
Perhaps comparing home speakers to car speakers isn't a very good comparison?
I haven't heard the Kee speakers, but for what you get for the price, if they're comparable to OEM or even just slightly better, it looks like a good deal.

There's plenty of options for no-compromises audio at higher price points.
The Extremis was quite popular in cars, too. It is absolutely fair.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Ian,

Is there any difference between the subs you're selling and the Elemental Designs 7Kv.2?? I had a sail panel sub blow yesterday and looking for replacements.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to both?? Thanks!!

Also, can I install a better amplifier to my stock Monsoon system?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

It's not super impressive by no means but then again these are more midbass/midrange type drivers. I basically am just trying to work within the parameters of the F-body doors and what can actually fit in them, like you said. Love those Adires by the way...wish they were still around.
I do have the ES-06+ and the HD M-6+ that both have alot of excursion (for a 6.5"-6.8" speaker) but again you have depth issues possibly because both have 3.37" of depth. I've been debating on modifying my door panel to accomodate a pair of these but I have no time right now to work on my car nor am I able to anyway with my back the way it is (had surgery last week to remove 2 discs).
The ES-06+ spec sheet:
http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/ES-06%2B_07.pdf
video I found on them from realm of excursion:
http://media.photobucket.com/video/c...UDIO/es-06.flv

The HD M-6+ spec sheet:
http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/HD-M6+_07.pdf
No video for these but they are very similar and even share the same cast basket.

Plus the obvious thing about these is that aftermarket amplification would be mandatory as the stock Monsoon amp would not be able to push these.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

If you're a fan of the Extremis, there is an improved version still for sale: the CSS (Creative Sound Solutions) SDX7.

I would replace mine with those, but I plan to replace the speakers with some Aurasound NS12-513 or Lambda Acoustics-based speakers.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Do these subs require any external mods/adapters to physically mount in the hole? Or are they are direct bolt in?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by BigE
Do these subs require any external mods/adapters to physically mount in the hole? Or are they are direct bolt in?
The holes are just a little different. The OEM screws have washers on them that will also tear up the new speakers - so you'll want to rip of the washers or get new screws.

Here's my install:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html

I went overboard, making some slight modifications to the existing holes so I could re-use them. I think most people use new sheet metal screws to tap thier own holes, which is a much easier way to go.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Default Great Subs

Just to throw my .02 in: I just got mine yesterday from Ian at Kee Audio. He's got a great business with fantastic customer service. And the subs sound great and are definately higher quality than those crappy stock ones. Just make sure you follow the install tips as stated in the post before mine^^.
I didn't and now I have the same problems with the washers tearing the suspension and I have to redo them now.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Banned

Yes, a little. Size isn't everything.
never heard her say that.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the cones on cdt speakers still pressed paper? I'm sure not every line they offer utilizes a paper cone but I came across a set that looks just like these in an eclipse that the cone had literally fallen apart after a week or two's use. They didn't sound too bad while they were in there but they didn't last too long.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned

The CL series components are carbon treated paper cones not just standard pressed paper. This gives them longevity but still maintains sensitivity. They also have rubber butyl surrounds instead of non-treated foam. The CDT's have good longevity and actually have an optional ($20.00 on CL & HD series) 10-year warranty they come with in the box from CDT. The standard warranty from CDT is 1 year.
I had the CL-62's and CL-6's in my car for about 2 years before I stepped up to a different pair to try and sold these to a friend of mine. They still have yet to show any signs of wear or sound deterioration in his vehicle after another 2+ years of use. These are on aftermarket amplification as well so they are getting more power then what the stock Monsoon is giving them.
The CL-62CF also available in a carbon fiber coned version as well if your concerned about the cone but the standard carbon treated cone in the CL series works just fine.

Quick Reply: 50 pairs of Bazooka 6.5" DVC Subwoofers Back in Stock!!