Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

50 pairs of Bazooka 6.5" DVC Subwoofers Back in Stock!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you replace just the rear sail panels with those 6.5 or w.e subs and leave the fronts stock wont they just blow when you crank it. Wouldn't you need to replace all the speakers?

Also why get the bazooka DVC subs $120/set when the Audiopipe DVS are $80, are they really that much better or what?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-11-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 04-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
If you replace just the rear sail panels with those 6.5 or w.e subs and leave the fronts stock wont they just blow when you crank it. Wouldn't you need to replace all the speakers?
If I understand your question correctly, replacing the sail panel subs (or any set of speakers) without replacing others has nothing to do with whether or not they will blow. In this scenario, your older door speakers would be more likely to blow next than would the new sail panel subs, merely because they are older and deteriorate with age.

The real culprit with blown speakers in f-body Monsoon systems is the distortion produced by the factory head unit and the cheap materials used in the factory speakers. Decent aftermarket replacement speakers will hold up to the abuse from the head unit better but they will still blow eventually if left connected to the factory head unit - especially if you listen at higher volume settings. The best thing you can do to save your speakers is install a good aftermarket head unit. That can make even the factory speakers sound much better and last longer.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If I understand your question correctly, replacing the sail panel subs (or any set of speakers) without replacing others has nothing to do with whether or not they will blow. In this scenario, your older door speakers would be more likely to blow next than would the new sail panel subs, merely because they are older and deteriorate with age.

The real culprit with blown speakers in f-body Monsoon systems is the distortion produced by the factory head unit and the cheap materials used in the factory speakers. Decent aftermarket replacement speakers will hold up to the abuse from the head unit better but they will still blow eventually if left connected to the factory head unit - especially if you listen at higher volume settings. The best thing you can do to save your speakers is install a good aftermarket head unit. That can make even the factory speakers sound much better and last longer.
Oh ok yeah i knew adding the new wouldnt make the chance of blowing the old ones any worse, but figured it would still be sending the bass to the old ones also when your listening loud. Its funny cause i blew one this summer and as a cheap temporary fix i mearly super glued the blown gash in the stretched out fabric over the speaker together and its actually still holding up and i listen to music loud. But i have been watching how much bass goes into it.

I didnt know that the factory HU was that bad thou! I like it cause it fills up the consol nicely whereas the aftermarket, unless the expensive dvd player or navigations, are smaller and look kinda outta place. I wanted to keep it but from what your saying i guess i should just replace it
Old 04-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I agree that the single DIN size aftermarket head units don't really look right in the dash. Double DIN looks great there but, as you noted, they are significantly more expensive. The best look I've seen with single DIN is adding a humount.com mount kit - the one with the car name or other logo illuminated above the head unit faceplate. Do a search on here for humount and you should find plenty of photos.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

I agree that the single DIN size aftermarket head units don't really look right in the dash. Double DIN looks great there but, as you noted, they are significantly more expensive. The best look I've seen with single DIN is adding a humount.com mount kit - the one with the car name or other logo illuminated above the head unit faceplate. Do a search on here for humount and you should find plenty of photos.
Yeah i remeber seeing some on here a couple months ago on some thread but i forgot what they were called. I like them alot they look good, and if i take the camaro face plate and use the 2 other switches by the ABS and Fogs switches it wont look redundant. Another thing i like but dont know if it would work is my friends rsx has a compartment you add either above or below which takes up the rest of the room, kinda like the little one to the left of the cig lighter, only wider-too fit the width of the dash. I'm thinking thats cheaper..
Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Look for a Metra kit number 99-4000. It has the single DIN opening for the head unit with a 1/2 DIN size pocket below it for storing CDs and similar small items.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a chance to work on the car installed those 2 ohm kenwood speakers up in the front doors. But it seems like they aren't getting enough watts from the amp the speakers are good for 100 watts rms and well i have some well they call them 3 ohm speakers from kenwood that are good for 80 watts and they perform the same as the 2 ohm ones in the front door so i hooked up those 3 ohm speakers just to the my test alpine deck and those hit a lot harder i can push the volume up a bit more than having them run threw the monsoon amp is there a chance that my amp is bad? How for sure would i be able to tell? I was assuming the stock amp would at least put out more than my stereo could. Is the stock amp suppose to warm up at all cause after playing it for awhile it's still room temperature? Greatly appreciate any help.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to give a heads up I did finally get another 50 pairs of subs back in stock. I have them priced now at $115.00 per pair with shipping included to the lower 48 states.
Last time I go these back in stock they went quickly so order now!! I also changed the package deals in the F-body packages to include these again for Firebirds and Camaros now get the CL-6 CDT's for sails. Price is $279.00 with shipping to the lower 48 states.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered a set last night!

Thanks for getting a replacement shippment.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

I've had these ordered for 5 months. Actually my order was for 150 total subs. To date I've gotten a total of 100. There are still 50 on back order that I will probably never see.
I have been trying to get them and they just don't have any.
I may be trying to work with a company to have my own built if I can keep the costs about the same or slightly more for a better product I'd do it.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Does the CDT CL-6 6.5 that comes with the premium package need any mods to get it to fit or does it screw right in?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

It screwed right into my car when I had them in it and they are a 6.75" woofer but then again I can get stuff to fit in cars and others have issues doing the simplest installs. The biggest thing with the stock subs is that they extend the holes out and the holes for the screws are actually kind of pill shaped. The ones in most speakers are round and the speaker is larger. If you just put all the screws in part way hand tight and then screw them all in after they fit fine. It's when someone put one screw in, tightens it down all the way and then tries to put the next one in and it doesn't line up is the issue for the most part. It's not a perfect alignment but its also not that far off. You would have a more difficult putting a wheel on putting one lug nut on and torqing it down all the way and then trying to put the next one in. It will go but it won't be aligned right...kind of the same issue/principle.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Banned

Alright guys, as I understand it eD is discontinuing there DVC subwoofer and rumor is that they won't be making anymore. This came from a customer of mine that actually tried to order them recently.
Regardless if this is true or not, I am knocking $10.00 off the DVC Bazooka subs for a limited time so the price will be $105.00 with shipping included to the lower 48 states. Shipping to places like Hawaii, Canada, and Europe (yes I had someone try to buy some to send to an embassy in Italy....ended up with a local address in Jersey instead) is extra.
This sale will not last long so take advantage of it while I can still do it!! Supplies of these are limited as usual!!

Quick Reply: 50 pairs of Bazooka 6.5" DVC Subwoofers Back in Stock!!