Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install question

Sorry if this was already answered there was a lot of replies to look through.

I was wondering how well the speakers you recommend work with an aftermarket head unit and do you need to rewire all the speakers. I don't know anything about car stereos. Any help is apprieciated.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Well I read all 25 pages and came up with this: You don't have to re-wire the subs in the sail panel, you just use the set of wires that are longer and hook those up to the sub. As far as the one up front, I'm kinda unclear on the tweeter, you have to splice into the xover, or filter, there is another thread hear that explains in detail how to do this.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by phatkat
Well I read all 25 pages and came up with this: You don't have to re-wire the subs in the sail panel, you just use the set of wires that are longer and hook those up to the sub. As far as the one up front, I'm kinda unclear on the tweeter, you have to splice into the xover, or filter, there is another thread hear that explains in detail how to do this.
when you pull the pannel you'll see the tweeter is attached to a crossover... cut the tweeter off the crossover and re-use it on the new tweeter.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JMPTA
Sorry if this was already answered there was a lot of replies to look through.

I was wondering how well the speakers you recommend work with an aftermarket head unit and do you need to rewire all the speakers. I don't know anything about car stereos. Any help is apprieciated.
you dont need to rewire all the speakers they will work the way i described... as to how they will sound I dont know I never tried it. It wouldnt be a huge upgrade
Old 11-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Launching!

\so there are 4 wires or something and you jsut use the long wires and tape off the short ones correct? Im talking about the 6.5" subs. Sorry if its been answered i didnt read all the post.

Last edited by brandon1221; 11-17-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Well So Much For Upgrading My 2001 Firebird Vert!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where to buy the RFP4406 sub?? I bought a set used and one has a buzz in it.. so I need to replace one...
Old 12-03-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Rogue Leader]No problem guys, I hate seeing everytime someone says they killed a speaker eveyone jumps in (here and elsewhere) and has them on buying $1000 worth of stereo equipment. And the REALLY sad part is, that $1k worth of equipment doesnt even sound much better![QUOTE]

Although it is true that you could buy $1000 worth of the wrong equipment and it might not sound good, but assuming you are directed towards buying the correct stuff, you can get a very nice complete aftermarket setup for cheap.

I spent around $1200 total on my whole system, which included a Pioneer DEH7400MP head unit, one Pioneer 4 channel amp, one Pioneer 2 channel amp (bridged mono) an MTX Thunderform box with a Thunder6000 10" sub, Infinity Kappa front component speakers and rear Infinity Kappa 4x6 plate speakers.

My system is a CONSIDERABLE improvement over stock.

I agree in the sense that if you are already happy with the Monsoon setup and you just blew one speaker, that its okay to just replace that speaker, however, many people are not happy with the MOnsoon, or deem it merely adequate. For those people, if you recently blew a speaker and are willing to do a bit of research, spend between $1000 and $1500, and do the install yourself, you can get yourself one hell of a system that sounds, IMO, tons better.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I want the stock look. It's just I don't believe the '500 watt' crap. I knew it could be done. Poor boys do it cheap so the motors can have more wallet room...LOL
Old 12-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Default 02 Camaro Convertible

Great Thread!
I too have a convertible. I had the front speakers replaced by the local stereo shop (stupid me, thought I knew what they were doing), they put in 150W Coax's in and basically they have never sounded as good as the factory. I mean the bass really sucks! That factory ones were much better in that respect.
I am tired of the poor performance so here goes my questions..

Ram, what did you end up doing and if your done what are the results?

My unit does not have the seperate equalizer, it has the preset jazz,rock etc. Is this like yours? If so did yours have the 4 wire installation on the front speakers? and where the hell is the amp in a convert?

And for a really stupid question, can you access the front speakers by popping off the grills or do you have to take the entire panel off. I started to get them of and at the top and bottom they appeard attatched in some way.

Thanks All

Originally Posted by rambo benson
Thanks for the reply. I pinged you on the other thread too, since I have a camaro.

One guy said verts have fullranges in the sail panels. Don't know if it's wired also for subs.

If I get feedback that it is...I'll look for those 3406's or similar.

I'll make a thick spacer and fiberglass enclosure that misses the top mechanism.

If you can't even put subs back there because of the wiring or whatever)Maybe these little RFP 2206 midranges are better than nothing. Anyway I posted over on the camaro thread for any enlightenment. This has been an edumacation!
Thanks man!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Yeah the SWI-X....

Changing the HU defeats the purpose of this though.. just showing a cheap way to add better sound, and changing the HU isnt cheap nor would it sound better without upgrading the speakers anyway....
Untrue!

My Pioneer 9400 with the 13 band eq built in and loudness controls made a HUGE difference in the sound of my completely stock monsoon in the TA. I also used the pac device to integrate the steering wheel controls.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rogue Leader:

How in the world are peeps using a RFP-4406 single 4 ohm woofer to replace the dual 4 ohm factory woofer? Don't you need an aftermarket DVC woofer to replace the factory sail panel woofer? This doesn't make sence.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:49 AM
Teching In

I have a question about the 6.5" subs for the rear. I'm unsure if I should go with Rockford Fosgate, or Audiobahn. I know Rockford Fosgate makes excellent gear, but Audiobahn has a 6.5" that is rated at 200 RMS and has a 3 ohm impedence. I'm a little uncertain about which would be better. I don't want to replace the factory amp, I think I can get a nice system out of my headunit and the monsoon if I had the right gear. Can anyone help me? Here are the 6.5" s.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Teching In

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...740147964&rd=1
Old 12-25-2004, 08:51 AM
Teching In

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...739531097&rd=1
Old 12-25-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99firebird44
I have a question about the 6.5" subs for the rear. I'm unsure if I should go with Rockford Fosgate, or Audiobahn. I know Rockford Fosgate makes excellent gear, but Audiobahn has a 6.5" that is rated at 200 RMS and has a 3 ohm impedence. I'm a little uncertain about which would be better. I don't want to replace the factory amp, I think I can get a nice system out of my headunit and the monsoon if I had the right gear. Can anyone help me? Here are the 6.5" s.
The RF's are full-range coaxial speakers, so I doubt they will work well in the rear panels. The Audiobahns look interesting though! I haven't had any personal experience with their brand, but they are an actual midbass driver which is what you want. The power handling capability is high, but their 93dB rated sensitivity and 3 ohm impedance might work out well in our cars. Let us know how it turns out if you get them!
Old 12-25-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have personally tried the Audiobahn 3 ohm drivers and it didn't work out. The stock woofers sounded way better. I lost all bass reponce b/c the factory amp wasn't enough to drive them. It sounded worse than the stock speaker. Don't do it.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=Constrictor 98TA][QUOTE=Rogue Leader]No problem guys, I hate seeing everytime someone says they killed a speaker eveyone jumps in (here and elsewhere) and has them on buying $1000 worth of stereo equipment. And the REALLY sad part is, that $1k worth of equipment doesnt even sound much better!

Although it is true that you could buy $1000 worth of the wrong equipment and it might not sound good, but assuming you are directed towards buying the correct stuff, you can get a very nice complete aftermarket setup for cheap.

I spent around $1200 total on my whole system, which included a Pioneer DEH7400MP head unit, one Pioneer 4 channel amp, one Pioneer 2 channel amp (bridged mono) an MTX Thunderform box with a Thunder6000 10" sub, Infinity Kappa front component speakers and rear Infinity Kappa 4x6 plate speakers.

My system is a CONSIDERABLE improvement over stock.

I agree in the sense that if you are already happy with the Monsoon setup and you just blew one speaker, that its okay to just replace that speaker, however, many people are not happy with the MOnsoon, or deem it merely adequate. For those people, if you recently blew a speaker and are willing to do a bit of research, spend between $1000 and $1500, and do the install yourself, you can get yourself one hell of a system that sounds, IMO, tons better.
Yes youre right on being able to get something good for $1k... however the posts in the past were basiclaly "I blew my front speaker,I just want another" And these people were being told they have to rip out everything and re-wire their car when they were perfectly content with the Monsoon and just want another damn speaker without being hosed by the dealership.

Also try working in a stero shop to see how bad $1000 can sound. LOL I had guys all the time coming in like "man i got all this " blah blah blah you gotta hear it, and this stuff ended up making the Monsoon sound like a McIntosh!! Not even bad equipment all the time either (although flea market deals and heavy hosing on install prices didn help) but terrible combonations.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brandon1221
\so there are 4 wires or something and you jsut use the long wires and tape off the short ones correct? Im talking about the 6.5" subs. Sorry if its been answered i didnt read all the post.
4 wires come from the subs, 2 pairs black and red. Use the long ones, tape the short ones.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
Untrue!

My Pioneer 9400 with the 13 band eq built in and loudness controls made a HUGE difference in the sound of my completely stock monsoon in the TA. I also used the pac device to integrate the steering wheel controls.
the PAC Device is great, Adding a head unit will sound better, however its not the cheapest way to go... and if you tune the factory EQ with the new speakers youd be surprised with the difference. I have no doubt it sounds a lot better, but if I were going far enought to get something like a Pioneer 9400 I would start to consider a re-wire to realize its full potential, otherwise you're amplifying and amplifier, and while yes it will be louder and more defined, you're increasing the distortion levels... sound quality is lower.

Quick Reply: ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers