Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers

Also I don't know if you guys have seen but you can replace the head unit and still retain the steering wheel controls. PAC makes a converter and the installation is very easy.

Just trying to offer new ideas sorry if you have seen this before.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ferocity: Cut the harnesses off the factory subs.. theres a long and a short pair of wires... Use the LONG pair to connect the subs.
I dont understand, on mine, there are two wires that go to each sub, and both connect to the sub, I dont see any other wires...
Old 10-14-2003, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ferocity: Cut the harnesses off the factory subs.. theres a long and a short pair of wires... Use the LONG pair to connect the subs.
I dont understand, on mine, there are two wires that go to each sub, and both connect to the sub, I dont see any other wires...
Hmm well the Monsoon in the camaro is only 200 watts while the TA is 500... so Im assuming the Monsoon Subs in the Camaro arent DVC like the Trans Am... Looking at the houston spec sheets looks like that too... So just use those that are there.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

just so you know if the tweeter is xover at a higher frequency than the mid is then you will only achive a 2ohm load when both speakers play the same frequency at the same time.
Well in reality Im looking to just basically get more juice to the tweeters, which this will accomplish.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also I don't know if you guys have seen but you can replace the head unit and still retain the steering wheel controls. PAC makes a converter and the installation is very easy.

Just trying to offer new ideas sorry if you have seen this before.
Yeah the SWI-X....

Changing the HU defeats the purpose of this though.. just showing a cheap way to add better sound, and changing the HU isnt cheap nor would it sound better without upgrading the speakers anyway....
Old 10-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

If you are worried which wire to connect to which terminal it is not that hard to figure out. Cut the speaker wire but leave a few inches on the speaker side. Now using a battery (9v works fine) now connect the terminals from the battery to the two speakers wires. Pay attentiong to which speaker wire is on which terminal. If the speaker POPS outward, goes up then it is in phase. If it is in phase then the wire attached to the positive post of the battery is the positve terminal of the speaker and of the amp. The other wire will be negative. If the speaker moves inward then it is out of phase and reverse the two wires. Match the colors from the speaker to the wires from the amp and you will know positive and negative.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you are worried which wire to connect to which terminal it is not that hard to figure out. Cut the speaker wire but leave a few inches on the speaker side. Now using a battery (9v works fine) now connect the terminals from the battery to the two speakers wires. Pay attentiong to which speaker wire is on which terminal. If the speaker POPS outward, goes up then it is in phase. If it is in phase then the wire attached to the positive post of the battery is the positve terminal of the speaker and of the amp. The other wire will be negative. If the speaker moves inward then it is out of phase and reverse the two wires. Match the colors from the speaker to the wires from the amp and you will know positive and negative.
Thanks!!! But, on the passenger side for some reason both wires that go to the sub are green. How do I know which wire coming out of the amp is + and which one is - ? Thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

mark one with a magic marker or a piece of tape something like that.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

....ok, but how do I figure out which one in positive and which one is negative in the first place...
Old 10-15-2003, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

If you have two gren wires mark one wire in two places with a sharpie. Then cut the wires so that both sides have a marked piece. Meaning the amp side, the piece of wire that stays in the car, and the speaker side, the piece of wire that leaves the car. Now you can tell the two apart and now do the pop test.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Would the alpine 170's + JL6W0 + the stock rear fill work? I just don't want to waste money on speakers install them and then find out a month later that they are blown because they did not work with the monsoon system. I have done this before with a 93 camaro that had a Bose system. I hookeed up a set of 6.5 rockford co-ax and I got this wierd noise from them allt the time.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would the alpine 170's + JL6W0 + the stock rear fill work? I just don't want to waste money on speakers install them and then find out a month later that they are blown because they did not work with the monsoon system. I have done this before with a 93 camaro that had a Bose system. I hookeed up a set of 6.5 rockford co-ax and I got this wierd noise from them allt the time.
That would work fine... I relaced the tweeters because one of mine were blown too but the stock tweeters arent that bad. personally I REALLY wanna hear the JL 6w0's in this setup and compare em to the rockfords because the 6w0's characteristics betetr matched the amp than the Rockfords, I just couldnt find em anywhere (and Im impatient!)
Old 10-16-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will be receiving my Rockford Fosgate 6-3/4" subs soon, and I know the stock Monsoon amp cannot get all the power out of the subs, if there is even an amp.... What can I do for cheap to mke sure I'm getting the most out of the subs?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will be receiving my Rockford Fosgate 6-3/4" subs soon, and I know the stock Monsoon amp cannot get all the power out of the subs, if there is even an amp.... What can I do for cheap to mke sure I'm getting the most out of the subs?

Thanks
HMM... you COULD get a PAC OEM 1, hook up an Alpine MRD-M300 to both subs (wire the subs in parallel) to the amp. It would require a little wiring but id bet money the subs would POUND...
Old 10-17-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I've heard this same question asked countless times too. Thanks for the upgrade idea. I have a blown speaker (again) but audio isn't important enough to me to spend big bucks on, I'd rather get more mod's. For $250 this sounds like a great upgrade!

This really ought to be made a stick for a while or go in the archive.

Old 10-28-2003, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Rogue Leader,

By the looks of it, us camaro guys (and gals), don't have the component speakers stock on our monsoon systems (unless it is hidden behind the door panel), like you ta people do. So which speakers should I go with to replace the door speakers? Coaxials or components (brand and model #'s), and which wires would I use to hook them up? In some previous threads there was a mention of two sets of wires to use. I believe one was a mids and lows and the other set was for highs. If I were to replace them with coaxials, shouldn't I need both mids and highs? Thanks for your time and forgive my ignorance on the monsoon system.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bigvic
Rogue Leader,

By the looks of it, us camaro guys (and gals), don't have the component speakers stock on our monsoon systems (unless it is hidden behind the door panel), like you ta people do. So which speakers should I go with to replace the door speakers? Coaxials or components (brand and model #'s), and which wires would I use to hook them up? In some previous threads there was a mention of two sets of wires to use. I believe one was a mids and lows and the other set was for highs. If I were to replace them with coaxials, shouldn't I need both mids and highs? Thanks for your time and forgive my ignorance on the monsoon system.
Theres only 1 set of wires going to those... The other wires mentioned go to the factory tweeters which your car doesnt have...

The Alpine Coaxials will work fine...
Old 10-31-2003, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Hmm well the Monsoon in the camaro is only 200 watts while the TA is 500... so Im assuming the Monsoon Subs in the Camaro arent DVC like the Trans Am... Looking at the houston spec sheets looks like that too... So just use those that are there.

WRONG. The wattage of the Monsoon amp depends on the year of your camaro.
The latter model year camaro's do have the larger amp, but it is NOT a 500w amp, The 500w number is referring to peak system power (total system power is amp + head unit power)...

The Camaro does NOT have the same speakers as the TA. (this may be why we blow so many)

Does the houston spec sheet that you are referring to have a date on it?
We need to make sure we post accurate info...
Old 10-31-2003, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigDaddyZ28
WRONG. The wattage of the Monsoon amp depends on the year of your camaro.
The latter model year camaro's do have the larger amp, but it is NOT a 500w amp, The 500w number is referring to peak system power (total system power is amp + head unit power)...

The Camaro does NOT have the same speakers as the TA. (this may be why we blow so many)

Does the houston spec sheet that you are referring to have a date on it?
We need to make sure we post accurate info...
Ok there calm down... First off its common knowledge that they rate the "setup" 500w at peak power, its a lot easier to refer to it that way than to explain it every time. Thanks for re-stating the obvious though.

Secondly, no the camaro doesnt have the same exact setup but it IS similar, and the speakers are constructed by the same people. The Camaro apparently Lower powered being that the speakers are different (including SVC subs instea dof DVC) and the camaro setup doent include the rear tweeters just full range 4 inch speakers in the back. Plus the camaro was advertised as having only a "200w" system. They wouldnt run the same amp with different speakers, it (even in GM's infinite wisdom) just isnt logical.

This is the tech sheets...

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/
Old 11-01-2003, 06:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Ok there calm down... First off its common knowledge that they rate the "setup" 500w at peak power, its a lot easier to refer to it that way than to explain it every time. Thanks for re-stating the obvious though.

Secondly, no the camaro doesnt have the same exact setup but it IS similar, and the speakers are constructed by the same people. The Camaro apparently Lower powered being that the speakers are different (including SVC subs instea dof DVC) and the camaro setup doent include the rear tweeters just full range 4 inch speakers in the back. Plus the camaro was advertised as having only a "200w" system. They wouldnt run the same amp with different speakers, it (even in GM's infinite wisdom) just isnt logical.

This is the tech sheets...

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/
As far as the Camaro being 'advertized' as having only a 200w system, How about I send you a scan of my '2002 Camaro Buyers Guide'. This is the one that came from the CHEVY DEALER. I grabbed a couple of them when I bought the car and scanning is easy.

On page 37 (standards & options page), It says:
Stereo: AM/FM, Monsoon 500-watt (peak) sound system with CD player
Camaro = optional, Z28 = Standard, SS = Standard,
Camaro Convertible = Standard

While YOUR particular Camaro may have the 200w 'system', Not ALL Camaro's are created equal. In the latter model years they DID start using the larger amp, but did NOT change the speakers. TA's and WS6's have superior speakers.
Maybe this is why we seem to be blowing so many speakers? What YEAR is your Camaro?

If seeing the 'Buyers Guide' does not convince you that you are wrong here, then maybe we should talk about RPO codes, and about how anyone can look up their code to see EXACTLY which system they have. Have you even checked your RPO code? Have you even noticed that the RPO codes for the stereo change a little in 2001/2002? Duh...

As far as your comment: "They wouldnt run the same amp with different speakers, it (even in GM's infinite wisdom) just isnt logical"

The KEY word here is 'Bean Counter'
EXTRA stuff (like better speakers) cost EXTRA money.
Yeah, It sucks, but It happens. You gotta love the things big companies will do to SAVE/MAKE money...
People with the TA's and WS6's spent a few more bones on their rides, and guess what? They got a few more 'bells and whistles' for their EXTRA money.
That is just the way things work. Nothing is free...

I actually think GM had a great idea (upgrading the amp and NOT the speakers)
The stereo can be 'advertised' as having a higher power 'system' but at a much lower cost than changing out (or upgrading) the whole thing. Isn't marketing great? Cool little tricks to make more MONEY!

As far as those 'Tech Files' go, Do you have any clue when that page was last updated? Do you really believe everything that you read online? Was this page published by GM?
There is only one correct answer here... Nope

Please PM me an e-mail address so that I can send you that scan, Maybe if you read it for yourself you would KNOW.

James

Quick Reply: ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers