Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My drivers side had notweeter in it.

I had my doorpanel replaced at the dealer since my old one was cracked, Guess what, they never put the factory tweeter back in.

So, I have the factory crossover on the right, and whatever built in crossover the tweeter has on the left. Should i go back to the dealer and get the factory xover, and use both xovers, or am i better removing the old crossover. If im not mistaken, doesnt the alpine tweeters have a xover on them?

please help, I dont wanna waste my time bitchin at the dealer if i shouldnt use the factory xover with these tweeters. I can hear more highs from the left, but the right side sounds cleaner, i have to turn the EQ way up to get the same effect as the left side.

Thanks for all replys.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

there is no crossover or anything built into the alpine tweeters, I would get that crossover before you cook it....
Old 02-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Default Passenger side sounds different

The passenger side sounds kinda bad on some sounds. This is the side with the Xover on it. But the sound seems to be coming from the 6.5". It seems to reverberate a little more, Im gonna pull the panel and double check the negative and positive, if im not mistaken, isnt the dk green the negative and light green the positive? Also, the 6.5" do not have a xover on them, neither do the rear speakers that i can see for that matter. What causes them to send the right frequencies to them? How would i test the left 6.5" whether its blown or not?

I just ordered some new 1005 tweeters and 4" SPS-100A for the rear, I think these alpines sound better then stock, so i wanted to replace my rear sound stage as well.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by My99TA
The passenger side sounds kinda bad on some sounds. This is the side with the Xover on it. But the sound seems to be coming from the 6.5". It seems to reverberate a little more, Im gonna pull the panel and double check the negative and positive, if im not mistaken, isnt the dk green the negative and light green the positive? Also, the 6.5" do not have a xover on them, neither do the rear speakers that i can see for that matter. What causes them to send the right frequencies to them? How would i test the left 6.5" whether its blown or not?

I just ordered some new 1005 tweeters and 4" SPS-100A for the rear, I think these alpines sound better then stock, so i wanted to replace my rear sound stage as well.
the mids and subs are crossed over at the amp, the tweeters are driven off the headunit. afaik youre correct on the colors...
Old 02-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Teching In

What about the rears, are they crossed over somewhere? Also, is there a way to tell if a speaker is blown/defective, it looks fine, but you can definatly hear that it sounds different on certain notes versus the left one when i fade from left to right. the right side seems to distort. And im refering to the 6.5", not the tweeter with the xover I spoke about earlier.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about the rears, are they crossed over somewhere? Also, is there a way to tell if a speaker is blown/defective, it looks fine, but you can definatly hear that it sounds different on certain notes versus the left one when i fade from left to right. the right side seems to distort. And im refering to the 6.5", not the tweeter with the xover I spoke about earlier.

Thanks for your help.
The rears are crossed over at the amp too, then the tweeters have crossovers attached. The front and rear tweeters run off the deck, the mids run off the amp.

If you push down on the speaker cone and it feels crunchy, its probably blown. if its sounding weird on certain notes the voice coil is probably cooked. If you have 1 you know is good and the other one sounds worse than that, very likley its shot.

oh and... If it smells like electrical fire... its definitely blown
Old 02-29-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Found A Replacement For The Hatch Speakers

Pioneer TS-G1017 4" speakers. they can be purchased at your local pep boys. these are a direct replacement, and sound GREAT compared to the stock pieces of junk in the hatch. they are about $45 after taxes. pep boys is trying to stop carrying them, so i doubt there are many left. get them while you can, especially if your hatch speakers are busted. i was able to turn my bass WAY up with these new speakers in. before, with the bass up, the hatch speakers would make me quickly turn down the bass they sounded so bad.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Teching In

HAs anyone here tried the Alpine SPS-100 4" speakers for the rear? I ordered the SPS 1005 tweeters for the rear and the SPS 100 4" for the rear. They should be in later this week. I ordered everything through discountsjungle.com which had the best prices for them online. Im not to pleased with the SPS 170A that they sent me, I found that the material had a crack in it. Hopefully they stand behind there product and send me out some NEW SPS-170A's.

Take care.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

HAs anyone here tried the Alpine SPS-100 4" speakers for the rear? I ordered the SPS 1005 tweeters for the rear and the SPS 100 4" for the rear. They should be in later this week. I ordered everything through discountsjungle.com which had the best prices for them online. Im not to pleased with the SPS 170A that they sent me, I found that the material had a crack in it. Hopefully they stand behind there product and send me out some NEW SPS-170A's.

Take care.
I still have a pair of Infinitys sitting in my closet from my old firebird I was going to install in the rear but I havent been inspired to do so as my factory ones are working and sounding fine... or maybe Im just lazy lol
Old 03-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Default Curious?

I have been looking for a factory crossover for the front tweeters for a week now. The dealer has ordered me a harness, hopefully the crossover is part of that, if not they may have to get me a new tweeter. (Im the one that had my doorpanel replaced and had no tweeter, crossover or harness).

Anyway, a dude at curcuit city told me I could run the speakers in such a way that the fronts share power and dont need a crossover. I think he said run em in phase or in parallel. Im not sure exactly how he worder it, but he said something to the effect of running an extra set of wires from the leads on the tweeters down to the 6.5" speakers. Im no electronic guru. Does anyone know what hes talking about? Im highly confused.

Also, does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket crossover for the Alpine SPS 1005 tweeters if I strike out at the dealer.

Thank you in advance for responding.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been looking for a factory crossover for the front tweeters for a week now. The dealer has ordered me a harness, hopefully the crossover is part of that, if not they may have to get me a new tweeter. (Im the one that had my doorpanel replaced and had no tweeter, crossover or harness).

Anyway, a dude at curcuit city told me I could run the speakers in such a way that the fronts share power and dont need a crossover. I think he said run em in phase or in parallel. Im not sure exactly how he worder it, but he said something to the effect of running an extra set of wires from the leads on the tweeters down to the 6.5" speakers. Im no electronic guru. Does anyone know what hes talking about? Im highly confused.

Also, does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket crossover for the Alpine SPS 1005 tweeters if I strike out at the dealer.

Thank you in advance for responding.

The harness that has the crossover is attached to the tweeter, I dont think its a seperate piece. You CAN run the tweeters in parallel off of the wires to the front speakers, and it will work, but its still possible to cook them and they wont sound as good as frequencies they shouldnt be playing will still get to them.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

rogue - what do you think about putting 8" subs in the sail panels? is it possible? would it be worth it?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tuffluck
rogue - what do you think about putting 8" subs in the sail panels? is it possible? would it be worth it?
Probably would require some cutting, while It probably would pound nice, but Im not one for cutting the car .... JMO...
Old 03-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Default Where is the amp

1998 SS w/ monsoon. Where is the amp? How do I hook up seperate amp?
Old 03-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Rouge,

Just want to say this post is EXACTLY what I've been looking for to start my system upgrade. My question however is this, the setup you have for the factory locations, how does that work as far as adding subs and such. Here is what I would like to do: Stock head unit (maybe Alpine MP3), replacing all of the stock locations (I would like to use Polk dB's..comments?), add a PPI amp and a JL 10w3v2 in a stealthbox. I would just like some input as to what you think. (I am able to do the install, I just don't understand the 'fundementals' of it )
Old 03-04-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Biggzy
1998 SS w/ monsoon. Where is the amp? How do I hook up seperate amp?
Amp is in the spare tire well mounted to a black plastic plate... as for hooking up a seperate amp you have many options... Gotta give us mroe info, what youre powering, stock hu, or aftermarket... You should start a new thread
Old 03-04-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LethalLS1
Rouge,

Just want to say this post is EXACTLY what I've been looking for to start my system upgrade. My question however is this, the setup you have for the factory locations, how does that work as far as adding subs and such. Here is what I would like to do: Stock head unit (maybe Alpine MP3), replacing all of the stock locations (I would like to use Polk dB's..comments?), add a PPI amp and a JL 10w3v2 in a stealthbox. I would just like some input as to what you think. (I am able to do the install, I just don't understand the 'fundementals' of it )
Polk db's I like... I had polk DXs in my old TA and they really sounded sweet.

BUT I wouldnt power Polk dBs off teh factory amp... IMHO it sounds like youre looking for a bit more than what I have here.. If I were you I woud get a nice 4 channel and run Polk dB components up front, coaxial 6.5's in the sails for rear fill, cut the far rear hatch speakers they are superfluous. Then run that PPI amp and sub. Hook up the Alpine MP3 and eliminate the Monsoon from the equation.... That will sound real nice...
Old 03-12-2004, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Hey Rogue Leader...thanks for the great info and advice regarding stock speaker upgrading. I give you props for that!! However, could you ramble off a few other speakers that would be nice replacements for the stock 6.5" subs? Any brand, Rockford Fosgate or otherwise, would be sweet!! I looked for the ones you have listed in the first page of this thread, but couldn't find em anywhere (although did find those JL 6w0s you mentioned on eBay...$$$). The tweeters and front speaker replacements you suggested were fairly easy to locate at a reasonable price. Thanks in advance. -Matt-
Old 03-12-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ModGod
Hey Rogue Leader...thanks for the great info and advice regarding stock speaker upgrading. I give you props for that!! However, could you ramble off a few other speakers that would be nice replacements for the stock 6.5" subs? Any brand, Rockford Fosgate or otherwise, would be sweet!! I looked for the ones you have listed in the first page of this thread, but couldn't find em anywhere (although did find those JL 6w0s you mentioned on eBay...$$$). The tweeters and front speaker replacements you suggested were fairly easy to locate at a reasonable price. Thanks in advance. -Matt-
the only other ones I know about are the Kicker RMB6... unfortunately Rockford discontinued those subs
Old 03-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Default Any Ideas?

Well, I have the alpine 1005's installed in the door, the 170A in the door, Alpine 100A in the 4" rear spot, and Im waiting anyday for the other 1005 tweeters for the rear. The 100A's sound great compared to the old 4". BUT, im kinda disapointed in the 170A's in the door, being that they are 4 ohm instead of 2, they dont play nearly as loud, and I think the old ones actually sounded a little deeper, although the alpines seem to sound clearer. Does it matter that all the old speakers were 1 way component speakers and im replacing em with 2 way? Any ideas? Im thinking of going back to the stock 6.5" speakers in the door.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers