Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I get them?? I've searched forever, no one has em..help!!

(RFP4406)
Old 02-15-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just checked RF's website and sure enough looks like they are discontinued and theres no replacement model. My next step would be to check out the JL 6w0 or the Kicker RMB6...
Old 02-15-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I ordered mine from Crutchfield's last Monday (2/9) they only had 6 left. I paid $80 each because nobody else had them. The next day they where also sold out. This things went fast the last few weeks. Everybody had some now they are all sold out.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Default What's the difference in ohms?

I have a blown 6 1/2" speaker in the rear passanger area and was told that I could "only" buy Bose replacements from the dealer for my Monsoon system since they are 8 ohms and matched to the system... True, or are they trying to just sell me a new system?

Any suggestions on replacements?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GaryG99SS
I have a blown 6 1/2" speaker in the rear passanger area and was told that I could "only" buy Bose replacements from the dealer for my Monsoon system since they are 8 ohms and matched to the system... True, or are they trying to just sell me a new system?

Any suggestions on replacements?
they are yankin your chain...
Old 02-17-2004, 04:41 AM
Teching In

This is an AWESOME thread. I was in the same boat thinking I was screwed with using the stock crap. Mine were replaced under warranty twice (the subs). I just ordered 2 RFP4406's from thezeb.com. The guy I talked to said they still had several. That was the only place I found them. Almost bought the Kicker's, I think these will work better. Thanks again, great info!
Old 02-18-2004, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone tried the Kickers yet? I'm thinking the Kicker's lower power handling/needs might be better suited to use with the stock Monsoon amp.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

This is what I paid a few days ago.

Greetings from SoundDomain.com!

Your order shipped today via FedEx Home Delivery. This shipment
includes the following items:

Order ID: xxxxxxxx, placed on 02/12/2004

----------------------------------*-----*------------*--------*--------
Item | Qty | Price Each | Amount | Status
Rockford Fosgate Punch HE RFP4406 | 2 | $44.95 | $89.90 | shipped

Questions about your order? Please contact our Customer Care Department
at
800-597-9776 or send us an email at support@sounddomain.com.

Be sure to check out our Hot Buys at:
http://www.sounddomain.com/hotbuys

The CarDomain Team.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Ditto here. I got mine about a week and a half ago for the $89.90 from Sounddomain.com also. Still waiting for my front speakers to arrive from an ebay bid.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:38 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I must have my alpines hoohed up wrong because they sound like ***. if i turn them up past 25% they distort. the RF's are ok, i kinda like the monsoon better. but i am goning to check it all again tomorrow, i must have it wired wrong.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BluethunderWS6
I must have my alpines hoohed up wrong because they sound like ***. if i turn them up past 25% they distort. the RF's are ok, i kinda like the monsoon better. but i am goning to check it all again tomorrow, i must have it wired wrong.
Make sure you havent reversed the polarity, and lower the settings on your EQ a bit and they will sound better...
Old 02-18-2004, 10:02 PM
14 Second Truck Club

i will check it out again, thats what i am thinking. the tweets look tight, took about 10mins for the intall. can you bridge the 2 channels to the sub?
Old 02-19-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BluethunderWS6
i will check it out again, thats what i am thinking. the tweets look tight, took about 10mins for the intall. can you bridge the 2 channels to the sub?
I wouldnt bridge it... firstly its already at 2 ohms so the load would become 1 ohm, secondly that Amp isnt 1 ohm stable (its barely 2 ohm stable LOL) so it will become a fireball in your trunk ..... not good!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rogue Leader,

I thought the ohm load on the amp depended on the ohm of the speaker/s it was pushing. So if you bridged the two sub channels of the amp (I was thinking of doing this but instead bought 2 RFP4406, one for each channel) and connecteed to a 4ohm sub-woofer the load on the amp would still be 4 ohms. This is what I have seen on some websites (sounddomain for one). So if you bridge the amp's channels and connect two 4 ohm subs in parallel then it is a 2 ohm load on the amp. I am probably wrong but this is what I thought(why I went with one speaker per channel).

-Tom
Old 02-19-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tom99SS
Rogue Leader,

I thought the ohm load on the amp depended on the ohm of the speaker/s it was pushing. So if you bridged the two sub channels of the amp (I was thinking of doing this but instead bought 2 RFP4406, one for each channel) and connecteed to a 4ohm sub-woofer the load on the amp would still be 4 ohms. This is what I have seen on some websites (sounddomain for one). So if you bridge the amp's channels and connect two 4 ohm subs in parallel then it is a 2 ohm load on the amp. I am probably wrong but this is what I thought(why I went with one speaker per channel).

-Tom
The inherent problem is the monsoon amp can and should not be bridged, the internal circuitry cant handle it. The load on the amp the way youre describing is what the amp "sees" but the channel is still outputting at a certain load. To be honest, it probably wouldnt become a 1 ohm load, but it would still damage a monsoon amp to bridge it... Just because the amp is set up to "handle" that load, the monsson amp has already shown questionable fortitude... It probably wouldnt be to happy with this. Definitely not a good idea.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
The inherent problem is the monsoon amp can and should not be bridged, the internal circuitry cant handle it. The load on the amp the way youre describing is what the amp "sees" but the channel is still outputting at a certain load. To be honest, it probably wouldnt become a 1 ohm load, but it would still damage a monsoon amp to bridge it... Just because the amp is set up to "handle" that load, the monsson amp has already shown questionable fortitude... It probably wouldnt be to happy with this. Definitely not a good idea.
I agree, this is why I did not bridge it. The amp in the convertible (which is what I have) runs everything at 4ohms except for the front mids. The amps powers all speakers and the HU goes just to the amp and not to any speakers. I think this maybe way I get pretty good sound out of the stock amp since all speakers I have used (4 Infinity 6002i and 2 RFP4406) are 4ohm which matches the amp. The only issue was the mids in the doors (which are 2 ohm from the factory). So what I did was run the front and sail panel mids in parallel using the front mid's channel coming from the amp. Thus, it is putting a 2 ohm load on the channel that was designed for 2ohm. My fader now works like a BassBoost **** on an amp as I have the 2 RFP4406's (this did not fit in the sail panels) in an enclosure running off the subwoofer channels from the amp. This enclosure sits on the hump for the rear axle.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tom99SS
I agree, this is why I did not bridge it. The amp in the convertible (which is what I have) runs everything at 4ohms except for the front mids. The amps powers all speakers and the HU goes just to the amp and not to any speakers. I think this maybe way I get pretty good sound out of the stock amp since all speakers I have used (4 Infinity 6002i and 2 RFP4406) are 4ohm which matches the amp. The only issue was the mids in the doors (which are 2 ohm from the factory). So what I did was run the front and sail panel mids in parallel using the front mid's channel coming from the amp. Thus, it is putting a 2 ohm load on the channel that was designed for 2ohm. My fader now works like a BassBoost **** on an amp as I have the 2 RFP4406's (this did not fit in the sail panels) in an enclosure running off the subwoofer channels from the amp. This enclosure sits on the hump for the rear axle.
Interesting setup idea.... And much more logical than bridging monsoon channels trust me lol. I had considered something like that using the rear hatch spakers in my car, BUT I didnt wanna cut the factory wiring. That was the idea of my setup, but this sounds really good. But why didnt the 4406's fit in the sail panels? I had no problem getting them in there.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Interesting setup idea.... And much more logical than bridging monsoon channels trust me lol. I had considered something like that using the rear hatch spakers in my car, BUT I didnt wanna cut the factory wiring. That was the idea of my setup, but this sounds really good. But why didnt the 4406's fit in the sail panels? I had no problem getting them in there.
The RFP4406 would not fit in the convertible sail panels. The convertible top would hit on the way down and damage the speaker (only have about 1.5 inches of depth). Plus this way the people who sit in the rear (if they can fit) will get full sound as the mids/tweeter are in the sail panel and the subs behind everybody.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

As far as the wiring, I used splicers I got at the hardware store (no cutting of the factory wires) and attached to the wires as they came out of the monsoon amp and ran new wires to the sail panel mids. Tried to use the wire loom by the sail panel speakers but there are too many wires of the same color as the speaker wires.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i personally think that the rear hatch speakers need more help than the stock subs. if bass sounds bad, you can turn it down and you only affect the intensity of the sound, not the quality. with those shitty stock hatch speakers, you can only turn the volume down to make them sound better. i think front and rears need serious replacement, and i think the subs should come last. so for those of you that agree with me, what should we use as a hatch replacement?

Quick Reply: ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers