Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you all checked out this information???

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/m.../AmpCamaro.htm

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/Camaro.htm

They do a great job of breaking down the wiring and all...
Old 01-26-2004, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

hey Rogue leader where you ever able to find some JL 6W0s? or are you still using the RF's?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by White Fire'99
hey Rogue leader where you ever able to find some JL 6W0s? or are you still using the RF's?
Never found the 6W0's online at a decent price. I didnt wanna dump $90 per on em. The Rf's are fine anyway...
Old 01-27-2004, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Please excuse my ignorance here, but what would happen if I bought a three part Alpine component system and left the factory tweeters in, and added the Mid and Tweeter in parallel. Would it add to the system to just add another two tweeters in the front. Or does the Monsoon amp cut ou the Highs to the front speakers???
Old 01-27-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Monsoon amp SEEMS to cut highs to the front, beside the fact you would gain nothing by adding more tweeters, and youd WAY underpower them by running them off the Monsoon amp. Dont bother...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

I guess that answers that one.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Teching In

With my '99 Z, (200W Monsoon), the Amp Does NOT cut the highs out. I connected my new speakers directly to the amp feed and I have crystal clear highs..... the sailpanel woofers definately only have lows though.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z_mod_newbie
With my '99 Z, (200W Monsoon), the Amp Does NOT cut the highs out. I connected my new speakers directly to the amp feed and I have crystal clear highs..... the sailpanel woofers definately only have lows though.

This has often been a topic of debate, as I have heard both that it cuts them and It doesnt... I personally tried wiring my tweeters in parallel off the single amp channel and compared them side by side and heard no difference (So I put it back and didnt bother). I havent gotten around to hooking my oscilliscope to the amp and seeing if it really does have a filter.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Teching In

I've been following this post for a while now. I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered the RFP-4406's and some Infinity Ref 6000cs's in hopes for (a little) better sound from my Monsoon. Rogue Leader, would you wire the components like the factory did (tweet to HU) or would you wire through the Monsoon amp via the crossover? I've got a 99 SS with the 200watt system.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Id try the tweeter to HU first and see how it sounds, then try the other way. However youre underpowering those components eitehr way.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

how do you unplug the spaeaker wires? They seem to fit really tight.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

rogue leader glad to see your still stirrin **** up on this post i need ur help. I bought the 2 rfp 4406's however i managed to toss one of my stock subs(wires included). any ideas what to do since i need those special wires? How bad did i screw myself give it to me straight.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by George C.
how do you unplug the spaeaker wires? They seem to fit really tight.
Use a hook tool or a thin flathead screwdriver...
Old 02-01-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black 98 T/A
rogue leader glad to see your still stirrin **** up on this post i need ur help. I bought the 2 rfp 4406's however i managed to toss one of my stock subs(wires included). any ideas what to do since i need those special wires? How bad did i screw myself give it to me straight.
Ah youre ok, youll just need to cut the harness and add some wire. I dont remember which colors are the wires you'll need, BUT just go to the other side and see which colors correspond with the longer wires on the speaker harness, then on the first side those are the ones you clip and extend and hook up. good luck.

and yes I love stirring ****!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sweet thanks man i apprecaite it. apparently i'm not in big trouble like i thought. again thanks!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey i hooked up the rfp 4406's today and i don't have them bolted up to the sail panels do to the fact that i left my bolts or screws or whatever they are at home. i'm gonna go home for the weekend and put them in.

It really dosnt' seem like i'm getting much bass out of these subs. is it just because the stock speakers that are still in the car are keeping me from turning the stereo up loud enough to experience the improvments? or did i just expect more than i was getting?
Old 02-05-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black 98 T/A
hey i hooked up the rfp 4406's today and i don't have them bolted up to the sail panels do to the fact that i left my bolts or screws or whatever they are at home. i'm gonna go home for the weekend and put them in.

It really dosnt' seem like i'm getting much bass out of these subs. is it just because the stock speakers that are still in the car are keeping me from turning the stereo up loud enough to experience the improvments? or did i just expect more than i was getting?
you wont get much bass until they are bolted in properly, needs something t reverberate and seal from...
Old 02-05-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ahhhhh.... excellent. that makes me happy.

Thank u again audio master.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Teching In

rogue leader, EXCELLENT thread, I blew one of my subs in my '99 SS a few months back, tried to figure out what my options were as far as replacing both of them, and just like you had said, everyone was saying that I basically had to replace everything, or go to the dealership and continue to buy these pieces of **** for $50 a pop. So after hearing this, I figured, it would be better to just buy a nice pair of 6 1/2 inch infinity's from Car Toys... but to my dissatisfaction, they sounded like ****... but too late to be able to take them back... so I have been dealing with these crappy speakers that can't handle the bass ever since... now after stumbling across this article, there is hope for me... I just ordered a pair of the Rockford Fosgate's that you suggested, and I only paid $100 for the pair brand new... can't wait to get these, and put 'em in... thanks again!
Old 02-15-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw, i've heard all of these particular RF 6.5" subs have stopped being produced. nearly every website i have checked no longer has them and says, "this item is no longer available." i think it would be in you people's best interest to find them anywhere you can online and buy them now. otherwise, within a month, i don't think you'll be able to buy these speakers brand new anymore. maybe RF just stopped for a little while, either way, not something to chance...

Quick Reply: ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers