Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Alarm and Resale Value

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket Alarm and Resale Value

I purchased a 2002 Z06 and have been thinking about putting in a CompuStar alarm/remote start.

Does an aftermarket alarm/remote start affect resale value?

Just don't want to make changes to the car and shoot myself in the foot if/when I sell the car.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

If done correctly(no wires hanging from odd places) it should not.

It also can be removed unlike some modifications.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

go for it! I personally would not pay less for a car if it has a nicely installed alarm, if anything I might buy your car over a similar one without an alarm. I installed a Viper 5900 with remote start and an automatic window up and down module and I think I did a pretty good job, and shouldn't have any complaints when I go to sell the car one day. And even if it did lower the resale value a bit at least you reduce the risk of someone stealing your car while you own it. Better to sell a car with an aftermarket alarm than one with a salvage title (I think stolen cars get salvage titles, correct me if im wrong)
Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

The alarm/remote start would be installed by a shop here locally, so I'm not concerned in the least bit regarding the quality of the installation.

The car does have a GM warranty, so I'm a little afraid they may try and bitch if the car ever went in for service.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

legally that cant say **** if ur alarm was profesionally installed
Old 04-02-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WNA B LS1
The alarm/remote start would be installed by a shop here locally, so I'm not concerned in the least bit regarding the quality of the installation.

The car does have a GM warranty, so I'm a little afraid they may try and bitch if the car ever went in for service.
In my experience with the local GM dealership (before it went under... good riddance shitty service department), they'll bitch and moan about fixing things no matter what.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Trojan35
In my experience with the local GM dealership (before it went under... good riddance shitty service department), they'll bitch and moan about fixing things no matter what.
I got that impression when I took my last car in. But there are a few things I want to do, but afraid to screw myself out of the warranty.