Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Disable factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Disable factory alarm

Forgive me if there are numerous threads on the subject, but I'm tired of the slow/inaccurate search function.

My problem is that I want to disable the factory alarm. I turned the shock sensor all the way down (to the left). I disabled the system by following the instructions in the owner's manual, TO THE LETTER, many times. Still, the car goes nuts when someone goes near it.

I realize that sliding the mechanical locks isn't too much trouble, but it would be nice to lock the doors with the key fob without arming the alarm.

Please help.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't understand why it's not programmed off. Maybe the shock sensor is just bad - disconnect it and see what happens.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the sensor is o.k.

Adjusted the sensitivity **** both ways and tested results by tapping it and watching the little red light.

I will disconnect it and check.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Did you buy it second hand? Maybe there is an aftermarket alarm system installed. There is no proximity sensor on the factory alarm so it could not be triggered by someone going near it - they would have to bang it or open a door.

If it is the factory system and the alarm is sounding randomly (not just when someone approaches the car) then the shock sensor is the most likely cause. Once they go bad you can adjust the sensitivity all you want but the alarm will still malfunction. Disconnecting the sensor or replacing it is the only solution.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Did you buy it second hand? Maybe there is an aftermarket alarm system installed. There is no proximity sensor on the factory alarm so it could not be triggered by someone going near it - they would have to bang it or open a door.

If it is the factory system and the alarm is sounding randomly (not just when someone approaches the car) then the shock sensor is the most likely cause. Once they go bad you can adjust the sensitivity all you want but the alarm will still malfunction. Disconnecting the sensor or replacing it is the only solution.
WhiteBird00: Sorry, I was exagerating when I said it goes off when someone goes near it. I meant when it gets touched. It's the factory system.

I will disconnect the shock sensor. Even so, I assume alarm will still sound if key is used to unlock door, or door handle is lifted even if the sensor is disconnected.

My real question is: Why does the alarm still sound/blink when disabled it as per owner's manual instructions? All other body functions seem o.k.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
WhiteBird00: Sorry, I was exagerating when I said it goes off when someone goes near it. I meant when it gets touched. It's the factory system.

I will disconnect the shock sensor. Even so, I assume alarm will still sound if key is used to unlock door, or door handle is lifted even if the sensor is disconnected.

My real question is: Why does the alarm still sound/blink when disabled it as per owner's manual instructions? All other body functions seem o.k.

Thanks
If the factory alarm system is set to arm in any way other than OFF (theft deterrent system arming method = mode 1), the alarm will work whether the shock sensor is there or not. It will trigger when either door or the hatch is opened - there is no alarm for merely moving the door handle.

I have to believe that you've missed a step in the programming sequence. The instructions are posted in this thread. The programming mode is very fussy about everything being done in the exact sequence listed and without undue delay between steps. You want to set arming mode 1 using the unlock button on your driver's door.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the insight, WhiteBird00.

I tried AGAIN to program mode 1 arming method using the unlock button on the driver's door.

Got confirmation with one "ding", but the alarm still goes off.

I'm certain I have a glitch.

I can live with it by working around it.