Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CarPC How To [And worklog]

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cookba
what screen are you going to use? ive been looking for good TFT screens for a while
Lilliput EBY-701 is what I settled on.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 AM
On The Tree

Yea you didnt factor the Lilliput in your calculation its gonna cost almost 200 right? This is the sole reason I havent done one, plus if you factor in the amp and the power supply(which is also expensive to me) or are you going to use a convertor?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dont use an inverter. Another reason why laptops are awesome for this. A $15 auto/air dc-dc converter on ebay works perfectly, you just have to buy a relay to cut the power when engine is turned off.

Also, I believe there is a decent 7" vga touch screen on ebay that sells in the $130 range. To the above, $200 might seem like a lot but considering gps software is free and the antenna costs $35, you pwned the aftermarket since you arent going to find a 7" indash gps thats good for under $1k.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Yea man I know 200 is cheap compared to GPS systems but it's just expensive to me. Point me to the relay you are referring to
Old 04-20-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

monitor 250
pc 200
amp 250
bezel 200

roughly 900 dollars

I rounded it for a quick post, but its a lot cheaper than a regular old double din GPS unit.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ bezel shouldnt be that much. plus, they arent hard to make and you can always get the audio shop to just wrap your own so it looks nice. i also wouldnt count the amp since that isnt really an amp replacement. But my setup including (jensen) amps will be about $450.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
^ bezel shouldnt be that much. plus, they arent hard to make and you can always get the audio shop to just wrap your own so it looks nice. i also wouldnt count the amp since that isnt really an amp replacement. But my setup including (jensen) amps will be about $450.
I'm buying my bezel from 6LITEREATER because he's having them made (no extra work).
Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ thats double din. most screens arent, and the ones that are cost a lot more because of this.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have to wait til I get the screen and see how it fits with the stock bezel. If it requires too much work, I'll be buying it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vicinity
I'll have to wait til I get the screen and see how it fits with the stock bezel. If it requires too much work, I'll be buying it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
from what i have seen with the 7" and the different between it and a double din you have to move the hvac down slightly and cut out the middle bar on the bezel and re-epoxy it, then you have to use some filler on the sides to cover the gap made by the screen, all in all its not super hard and can be done.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicinity
I chose 775 because you can use also any Intel chip with that socket. No one is tethered. I'm going to down clock the CPU.

Besides, when you use Windows Media Center on a Core 2, the CPU revs back up to full speed. Also does that for video.
Not any intel chip.... their new ones won't fit it. But then, their latest chips are also stupid power hungry and way overkill for this application

I see what you're saying about the power part though - was not aware that media center made the CPU go to full tilt all the time. I've never checked that, oops

I've considered building a car PC from some spare parts I have lying around but after considering the screen and power requirements I decided against it for now. Cool project though, I'll keep an eye on it to see how it turns out
Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ you dont want to be using media center anyways. and ride runner takes up like 6% of mine which is a 2.4ghz single core. well im not sure on video though...
Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

What are you going to use to power it?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 199TAmaster
depends on what you are using, i bought a system from a guy off ebay that had everything except the hard drive, i used a laptop hard drive, and i ran the power wire off the distribution block for my amps and ran the ignition wire off the yellow 12+ from the stereo that i no longer used.

or if you use a laptop you can use a belkins air/car adapter. I have one lying around my garage that i was initially going to use before i went with the system i have now, if someone wants to buy it off me let me know.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ you dont want to be using media center anyways. and ride runner takes up like 6% of mine which is a 2.4ghz single core. well im not sure on video though...
im downloading a trial of street deck 2, if i like it im going to pay for the full version.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Not any intel chip.... their new ones won't fit it. But then, their latest chips are also stupid power hungry and way overkill for this application

I see what you're saying about the power part though - was not aware that media center made the CPU go to full tilt all the time. I've never checked that, oops

I've considered building a car PC from some spare parts I have lying around but after considering the screen and power requirements I decided against it for now. Cool project though, I'll keep an eye on it to see how it turns out
My bad, I meant "almost any" but typed also, lol. Yeah, I'd love to see a i7 in a car, and the RV battery they had to put in the trunk, lmao.

Originally Posted by 199TAmaster
I'll run it directly off the battery for a while, then I'll get a capacitor or whatever its called.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

ALERT! Saved about 1-200 more dollars by getting a 4 channel amp and just using another amp when I get a sub.

So without a bezel its about 500 dollars. Possible 400 seeing if I can crunch it some more.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned

im glad we are talking about this on tech, im tired of becoming members of forums for each and every thing im interested in. i think im gonna go with a Voom PC case and a OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD x2 in RAID 0, intel e5200 2.5GHz, Intel DG45FC, 2GB RAM, and the M2-ATX 160W Intelligent Vehicle DC-DC Power Supply. not doing this on the cheap just want max quality. looking for a screen to fit the 6LE bezel perfectly now.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ you'll have to at least read on mp3car, but i find it more of a book than a forum. there aren't many people posting, most threads have 0 answers and since everyone mentions what they will do or did, searching is useless. you just get a ton of threads on a different topic that lightly mention it. also, its stickies are 50 pages of people THINKING with no first post of real ANSWERS.

so what have people been thinking of for steering wheel control solution? I have some original xbox controllers so i'll probably wire in the controls to its joysticks and usb that to the laptop. then use girder or something like that. you can use the pac and an ir sensor but I heard it can be lagy and doesnt work well with holding down the volume to rise/lower, plus that costs like $50 when the controller way is free.

Originally Posted by transambandit
im downloading a trial of street deck 2, if i like it im going to pay for the full version.
have you tried rr? let us know if you really like streetdeck more enough to pay for it instead of using the more popular, free frontend and why.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ you'll have to at least read on mp3car, but i find it more of a book than a forum. there aren't many people posting, most threads have 0 answers and since everyone mentions what they will do or did, searching is useless. you just get a ton of threads on a different topic that lightly mention it. also, its stickies are 50 pages of people THINKING with no first post of real ANSWERS.

so what have people been thinking of for steering wheel control solution? I have some original xbox controllers so i'll probably wire in the controls to its joysticks and usb that to the laptop. then use girder or something like that. you can use the pac and an ir sensor but I heard it can be lagy and doesnt work well with holding down the volume to rise/lower, plus that costs like $50 when the controller way is free.

have you tried rr? let us know if you really like streetdeck more enough to pay for it instead of using the more popular, free frontend and why.
Yes i played around with it some and it is awesome, i tried RR but for the life of me i could never get everything to work on it, something was always fubar'd on it. Street deck is definetly worth the 99 bucks.

Quick Reply: CarPC How To [And worklog]