Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CarPC How To [And worklog]

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If yall are interested in a neat lil Keyboard. I have seen on MP3car, where a guy bought a game keyboard(about the size of a cell phone) It was really cool
Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Banned

the big problems are finding the parts you need to make a pc that will work with the parts that are available. i found several awesome motherboards that can do HD video and audio, but there is no info on if it will fit in the case i want. then there are the power issues, should i get a m1, m2, m3, m4 a pico an ac to dc a dc to dc etc etc etc. and how much power will the complete pc pull once your playing with it while the engine is on and the amp and speakers are going???? there is just too many forums and not enough facts, in my opinion, but im still gonna make an attempt at it. and i dont even want to think about the TFT monitors.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ why i just did used laptop. save the headache, and cheaper.

not to mention super benefits of the battery...
Old 04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-ITX-Carpute...QQcmdZViewItem

this is the carpc i bought, has everything except the harddrive, so it allows you put whatever size in it you want

right now i have 100gb hd in mine but i am thinking of upgrading to 160 or 250.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

you just hooked up a tft monitor to your laptop? idk, seems like you would get more out of building the whole PC. like sound quality and video output quality too
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ video? this is a small screen, with not much pixels. plus it has a dedicated ati card in it. obviously not the best since its a thinkpad but plenty for any car setup. and for audio i'll use a usb audio card.

just because its a laptop doesnt mean its not a capable computer. my gateway fx can play crisis in very high settings, which is as good as it gets.

Last edited by Flaring Afro; 04-21-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 199TAmaster
If yall are interested in a neat lil Keyboard. I have seen on MP3car, where a guy bought a game keyboard(about the size of a cell phone) It was really cool
touch screen replaces any keyboard and or mouse.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cookba
you just hooked up a tft monitor to your laptop? idk, seems like you would get more out of building the whole PC. like sound quality and video output quality too
Output quality from a laptop is sufficient enough for common things like:
gps, internet, news/traffic weather updates or even you tube.

I 'll speak for myself when I say that I 'm not looking for top of line HDMI output from my car computer.

I do agree with you on the part about audio quality.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
touch screen replaces any keyboard and or mouse.
if you dont have a laptop, it might be a HUGE hassle taking your carputer out of the car. because of this, many people have used a ps3 wireless keyboard for faster typing if working with code, etc. some people just prefer it in general for typing searches or locations for gps. they arent made anymore and are only like $10-20 on ebay.

and audio quality from usb can be just as clear as a pci express or whatever card. its only feeding a low voltage signal to an amp. im looking at creative's sound blaster card. some people have had startup problems with this card but this was supposedly fixed by creative but i'll buy it from best buy to be safe. but yeah, it has amazingly good sound from the reviews i've read.

Last edited by Flaring Afro; 04-21-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
if you dont have a laptop, it might be a HUGE hassle taking your carputer out of the car. because of this, many people have used a ps3 wireless keyboard for faster typing if working with code, etc. some people just prefer it in general for typing searches or locations for gps. they arent made anymore and are only like $10-20 on ebay.

and audio quality from usb can be just as clear as a pci express or whatever card. its only feeding a low voltage signal to an amp. im looking at creative's sound blaster card. some people have had startup problems with this card but this was supposedly fixed by creative but i'll buy it from best buy to be safe. but yeah, it has amazingly good sound from the reviews i've read.
Audio quality is going to be good because its feeding it to the amp like you said.

Theres been tons of input devices, mostly i seen on mp3car.
For gps/search ...minimal text input the screen is great imo

you said something about coding... lol I 'd hate to write code on a screen smaller than my 14" laptop and that still feels small compared to the 17" at school/work and 22" at home.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

HUD

Since we are on the topic of computers in f bodies, how about a HUD?

Recently pocket projectors got some what cheap($250) and smaller in size.

These things are size of a smart phone(blackberry , Iphone) and can be attached to the carpc we are talking about here or with ipod/iphone/itouch to have an external display.

I was thinking that this can be mounted on the dashboard and projects images onto a tinted part of the windsheild.

To turn it into HUD, this will plug into computer that is runing a software to get data from OBDII.
These can also be plugged in directly to iphone/itouch to display regular video but also recent car related applications that are being developed for them.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ i've never heard of anyone doing this but its an idea. i think it would be just as cheap and easier to do one without the carputer attached. OBDII software and adapters seem to be expensive,and how would it gain video? Unless you had a card with 2 vgas, but then theres still the problem of no software made to be used as a hud. It would be cool but you'd be on your own.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Afro- This would be an addition to the carputer and you 'd still need to keep your regular touch screen lcd because this will simply project onto windsheild.

Even if its tinted, i doubt it 'll work in the day.
I haven't been in a corvette so i duno if hud can be clearly seen in daylight.

The OBDII adapter would send data to the carputer and with some custom programming to handle the data,make sense of it and visually project it.

Iphone has some appilcations for it now that records 0-60 times, ETs, fuel consumption, AFR,Speedo, Tach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o91DX4ODgbU
Iphone/touch has a regular rca output cable that conncets to this projector and you can use the this appilcation.

Display the speedo on or w/e you want onto the windsheild and you have something similar to HUD.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 04-21-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ i know you meant addition. why i said you'd need graphics with 2 vgas or something. there is software that reads it, but not that actually displays the info in a way that would work for a hud. you'd have to make that. and yes, they do work in the day. and i havent found an obd2 adapter thats cheap...
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh, I kinda ran past your point aboug 2 vgas. \

Yep, OBDII readers aren't cheap but something worth chasing. I guess I got my summer programming project.

btw did watch that video ?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transambandit
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-ITX-Carpute...QQcmdZViewItem

this is the carpc i bought, has everything except the harddrive, so it allows you put whatever size in it you want

right now i have 100gb hd in mine but i am thinking of upgrading to 160 or 250.
I saw that before planning my build, but I wanted to do mine entirely custom.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the parts all assembled. Still waiting for my case.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

what case ar you going for? im getting the VoomPC in black. still looking at boards and cpu's though, i thought i had one but not sure now.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
what case ar you going for? im getting the VoomPC in black. still looking at boards and cpu's though, i thought i had one but not sure now.
It's in the first post. It's a regular mini PC case. All my parts are in the first post.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned

ya i looked at the first post and didnt see anything. keep us updated on your build!

Quick Reply: CarPC How To [And worklog]