Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anybody able to get some serious bass from a stealth box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Ruh roh..' I guess we'll see what happens. What could happen if the underdrive pulley does effect it? What's it's effect?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
'Ruh roh..' I guess we'll see what happens. What could happen if the underdrive pulley does effect it? What's it's effect?
You'll need an overdrive pulley (I think thats the one) to be sure you have enough power. Or at least I was told.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by M-ManLA
That being said, you will need to look at your sub amp, and make sure not only the volume is up, but the filter is set at an appropriate level. make sure you really don't have too many higher frequencies going to your sub ( you will know when you can make out the words the artist says). You want to get it where the sub is capturing the bass that the speakers left off at.

Also, check your bass boost and make sure it is up. I would also see your head unit, and see if the bass is up, as well as check if there is a separate sub control on it.

Now also remember that your box will also make a difference. If you go with a sealed box, like the stealth box are, they will sound tighter, but they will need more power through them. If your box is ported, The bass will be a little looser, but there is a lot of air running through them, and it will sound louder. This is a popular choice with people that listens to Hip-Hop and electronica-type music. There is also the bandpass box, which includes a sealed and ported elements that will make it THUMP!

Be careful when adjusting the amp. Ive never seen a sub amp with "volume" on it. If youre referring to "gain" do NOT turn it all the way up.

Do not use bass boost.

Youre biggest problem is your box size and type. Some of my little brother's friends have P1s on **** for power that are hitting harder than my Fi Q on 1500watts rms because they are in a big ported box.

Going to a ported box would offer you the biggest gains in output you are looking for. A sealed box will NEVER be as loud as an equivalent sub/amp in a ported box. The ported box will get alot louder and require less power to do so and be easier on your sub. Especially when it comes to the low frequencies
Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

All "volume *****" are actually gain *****, FWIW.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dragonrage
All "volume *****" are actually gain *****, FWIW.
yes, I was just trying to tell him not to buy into the common myth that setting the gains to max will give you the most output. That will lead to clipping and other issues
Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does everyone think of that autotek amp? It seems like the deal of the century! I've never used them but heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dave70
What does everyone think of that autotek amp? It seems like the deal of the century! I've never used them but heard nothing but good things about them.
That's the one I bought. My amp powering the other speakers in my car is also an autotek (came with the car) and it's done nothing but good things. I could only imagine that the one I just ordered will be just as good. I got it from onlinecarstereo because a LOT of items are on sale.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
yes, I was just trying to tell him not to buy into the common myth that setting the gains to max will give you the most output. That will lead to clipping and other issues
You are kind of right. While putting the amp up all the way could lead to clipping, you can put the volume up high if you have adjustable sub controls on your receiver, or if your amp comes with an remote.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

I noticed the stealth box I bought off a guy here, hmm, was not as he stated when I asked him the internal size. He stated, it was .5 cuft. My woofer an Elemental Design 10" requires .4 cuft min optimum .5 cuft for a sealed enclosure and 1.0 cuft for a ported design. Ok, so when I got the box it looked small inside. I measured it and it was .26 cuft.!!! Well after I emailed the guy he says, "I built it to subthumps specs. they sound good for my 10s." Well my tape measure and math skills usually are dependable. So, I spend probably $50 more bucks on fiberglass and such. I mocked up out of posterboard the enclosure to use the rest of the complex angled space behind the box. I then fiberglassed it up which took more work then I expected. It was worth the effort, I got the interior space to .51 cu ft. If the industry boxes are all as small as the one I got that would really reduce the efficiency and effect the frequency curve of the speaker. It would be the equivalent to lowering your car the half *** way, cutting the springs. The speaker in a box with a too small a volume behind it will not have the correct movement. The air pressure will peak to early and effect excursion of the cone. Hence cut the springs car is too stiff and you lose suspension travel, too small enclosure and your woofer is less effecient and has less excursion.

I can't imagine in a stealth enclosure you could find the volume for a port.
Ed
Old 05-19-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Next you can work on getting a subwoofer from a decent company
Old 05-19-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Are you saying, Elemental Designs speakers aren't good? I like them so far. Ian Kee recommended them to me when he was out of DVC 6.5's
ed
Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Default Speaker for the enclosure

I just read your post from 2 1/2 years ago. I can't say how the woofer I just bought from them stacks up. Maybe its junk? I'll see.
But information thats 2 years old is maybe perisable? The would be saying that a company can never improve on their product. That is why they come out with new models right and as far as the specs for the speaker. I'm not sure whats missing?
Ed

Qts: .33
Qes: .36
Qms: 3.7
Fs: 22.00Hz
Re: 7.4
Vas: 70L
Mms: 125.0g
Bl: 18.90T*m
SPL: 85dB
Sd: 350cm²
Xmax: 18.3mm
Voice Coil: 50.0mm

Magnet Width: 5.700"
Cutout Diameter: 9.125"
Mounting Depth: 6.125"
Weight: 20lb
Total Height: 6.500"
Displacement: .06 ft³
Outside Diameter: 10.250"
Car Audio Box Size Suggestions Outline

Spec 11Ov.2 Subwoofer
Sealed ( small ) 0.4ft³
Sealed ( ideal ) 0.5ft³
Sealed ( large ) 0.6ft³
Vented ( ideal ) 1.0ft³ Tuned to 30Hz
Vented ( DDLoud) 1.2ft³ Tuned to 35Hz
Attached Thumbnails Anybody able to get some serious bass from a stealth box?-11ov2_dimensions.jpg  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
Are you saying, Elemental Designs speakers aren't good? I like them so far. Ian Kee recommended them to me when he was out of DVC 6.5's
ed
They're so-so. But the company is shady (I can provide several links from several boards if you're curious) and they lie about their specs, so designing a good box for them would require someone to get some real specs like with Klippel.

Better would have been Peerless SLS run by a single amp channel. Dump that Monsoon crap.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Where did you get the idea I was using the monsoon still. I'm running a 600watts (rms)MTX Jackhammer to the 10, 125 watts (rms) a piece to the 6.5's subs for a rockford 2 channel and driving the 6.5 compnents and 4x6 infinity plates with a 4 channel Soundstream at 75 watts (rms) a piece. The source is getting cut up and distributed by a 24 dB/Octave Linkwitz-Riley Alignment Crossover. That way the amplifier and speakers only deal with the frequencies they are responsible to produce. Power is nothing without traction or in this case distortion. I'm sure you woould have done it differently, but I'm writing the checks, so I'm making the decision.
Ed
Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
I noticed the stealth box I bought off a guy here, hmm, was not as he stated when I asked him the internal size. He stated, it was .5 cuft. My woofer an Elemental Design 10" requires .4 cuft min optimum .5 cuft for a sealed enclosure and 1.0 cuft for a ported design. Ok, so when I got the box it looked small inside. I measured it and it was .26 cuft.!!! Well after I emailed the guy he says, "I built it to subthumps specs. they sound good for my 10s." Well my tape measure and math skills usually are dependable. So, I spend probably $50 more bucks on fiberglass and such. I mocked up out of posterboard the enclosure to use the rest of the complex angled space behind the box. I then fiberglassed it up which took more work then I expected. It was worth the effort, I got the interior space to .51 cu ft. If the industry boxes are all as small as the one I got that would really reduce the efficiency and effect the frequency curve of the speaker. It would be the equivalent to lowering your car the half *** way, cutting the springs. The speaker in a box with a too small a volume behind it will not have the correct movement. The air pressure will peak to early and effect excursion of the cone. Hence cut the springs car is too stiff and you lose suspension travel, too small enclosure and your woofer is less effecient and has less excursion.

I can't imagine in a stealth enclosure you could find the volume for a port.
Ed
Yea the box will have to be bigger to be ported.

Quick Reply: Anybody able to get some serious bass from a stealth box?