Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Nice C5 Install Dbl Din + pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nice C5 Install Dbl Din + pics

Mike came to me wanting to upgrade the sound in his Z06. He wanted to keep everything very stealthly with the exception of putting a double din in with the help of Dennis C5bearsfan bezel.

Equpiment:
Bezel: Double D Mods - c5bearsfan
Headunit: Kenwood DNX5120
IPOD: KCA IP300V
Bluetooth: KCA-BT200
Sirius: CA-SR20V + SIRIUS SC-C1

Amplifier: Infinity 5350a 5 Channel
Front speakers: Polk Audio db651 coaxials
Rear speakers: Polk Audio db521 coaxials
Subwoofer: Polk Audio db 10"
Sub box: NVTHIS stealth box
Door baffles: DrivenAudio
Wiring: KnuKonceptz

The install was done in 2 parts as we hadn't received all of the needed hardware to do the double din at first so at first we did the amp, subs, speakers, then at a later date the double din was put in. Even with the stock headunit the aftermarket equipment sounded great. Mike had a budget he wanted to work around while still accommodating the double din so we did some what of a budget build for the speakers/sub/amp which actually turned out beautiful, it sounds really good and IMO alot of people go way overboard on high end components and amps that you really wont benefit from in a noisy car like the c5.

Both of the new polks installed in the doors, some small amounts of sound deadner were installed behind the speakers.

one of the new rear speakers installed

All new 4ga power wire was ran directly from the battery and the amp was grounded to an oem bolt under the side pillar. RCA's were ran up to the factory headunit along with a remote cable. All new 16ga speaker wiring was ran throughout the car. The amp is essentially 100% stealth, with the seat all the way back if you feel near the seat lever u can just bump the RCAs, in theory we pro bally could have tucked the amp back a hair further. The back of the seat bottom was barely catching on the top of the amp so we put a washer under all 4 corners of the seat to raise it roughly 1/8" an inch so there is no more resistance. For all those interested in the 5 channel infinity amp the cover cosmetic cover pops right off to make for added clearance which is needed in the C5.

Mike also wanted to the sub 100% stealth and hidden under an oem cover and his trunk matt.

All in all I 100% recommend this setup to anyone looking for an upgrade and not wanting to go crazy with components. It sounds 100x better then stock, gets loud and stays clean while doing it. Ill let mike come in and comment more on the sound quality. Now onto the double din

Both the navi antenna and the sirius antenna are hidden in the lip where the trunk closes its hard to explain but maybe Mike will grab a picture for us. Only time you will ever see the antenna is if the trunk is open and you are looking for it. The bluetooth mic was installed on the pillar up near the top of the windshield. The ipod cable was ran into the glove box. Attached our some pictures from the install.

All and all the install went great and it sounds and workes killer. The DNX series is one of my favorite headunits out there at the price point it just kills the competition in my opinion. The whole system while done on some what of a budget turned out killer, looks great, and sounds great.

Feel free to ask away
Old 06-02-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hey pentavolvo

questions:
why did u use coaxials in the rear and not midbass ? since u only have a small sub ?

other than that everything looks gooooood.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that looks amazing! great job!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
hey pentavolvo

questions:
why did u use coaxials in the rear and not midbass ? since u only have a small sub ?

other than that everything looks gooooood.
first of all the rear speaker location is nothing like an fbody, it had a coaxial there to begin with and a midbass really wouldnt work well there at all, depth is limited and its not very closed off from the rest of the cabin. personally i wouldnt have ran rears but the customer wanted them. As well doing a midbass would have cost more money and required custom work due to depth. in the corvette the front door speaker is a 3.5" twiddler and 8" bose sub, so they do the bass up front on an oem setup. The system sounds suprisingly good being a small car a single 10 or 12 is more then enough bass for 90% of people
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
first of all the rear speaker location is nothing like an fbody, it had a coaxial there to begin with and a midbass really wouldnt work well there at all, depth is limited and its not very closed off from the rest of the cabin. personally i wouldnt have ran rears but the customer wanted them. As well doing a midbass would have cost more money and required custom work due to depth. in the corvette the front door speaker is a 3.5" twiddler and 8" bose sub, so they do the bass up front on an oem setup. The system sounds suprisingly good being a small car a single 10 or 12 is more then enough bass for 90% of people
didnt it end u leaving to much treb/highs ?

i might do a similar setup for my cousin.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

not at all

now if it were me i would have done a 4 channel amp, ditched the rears and put components up front
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
not at all

now if it were me i would have done a 4 channel amp, ditched the rears and put components up front

yeah ill try dooing this on my cars setup.

btw the sony amp (XMZR604R) i have put out 65rms x4 @4ohm how much do u think i will put out if i bridged it to 2 channel @4ohm ?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

100rmx x 2 or so i would say maybe a bit more
Old 06-24-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

good,

i might bridge my fronts and ditch the rears and see how it sounds since my kicker woofers began to fail.

Last edited by Engine_HP; 06-24-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Nice C5 Install Dbl Din + pics