Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

mp3 player for a DD 99 chevy malibu...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default mp3 player for a DD 99 chevy malibu...

ok i'm getting a newer DD to replace my 95 subaru wagon and i'm trying to figure out what to do for the stereo. the wagon had a tape deck and i had a very cheap 1gb mp3 player (less than $30 a few years ago) mp3 player that was alright but sucked the battery like there was no tomorrow (AAA). I have a cassette adaptor with a headphone plug in jack and am trying to decide whether to buy a cheap $80 or so MP3 deck with a USB plug on it (i have one in the T/A and love it) or if i should just get a ~ 4gb mp3 player that i can get a car charger for and use the cassette adaptor? I think i can get a 4gb mp3 player for around $50 and then a usb to DC car lighter adaptor for around $20. My current mp3 player probably would not work with a charger system as it only uses a single AAA battery and IIRC i once plugged in the mp3 player into my computer without the battery and it wouldn't transfer songs so i know the usb does not actually power the unit. *edit* i was wrong on that last part, i just copied songs to and played songs on that mp3 player with it plugged into my PC without a battery.

what would you guys do? I'm trying not to spend a fortune because it's just going ot be my winter/bad weather/work car (if i ever start working again, lol)

with what i had to do to the T/A a few years ago to put a new deck in it i'm guessing it's still around $50 for the accessories to put a deck into a GM car (1.5 to 1 din reducer, wiring harness adaptor, and antenna adaptor)

what would you guys do? I've noticed that most of the time in the T/A i'm listening to the 4gb usb fob because thats where all my new music goes since it's easier to copy to that than to burn a new CD. and even with over 300 songs on that usb drive it still has around 1.5gb free.

would something like this be worth it? it's $27 and says it will charge USB devices. i would assume it would also power them if they didn't have a battery in them (just like my PC did with that little mp3 player)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1217029959867

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 06-30-2009 at 02:15 PM.