Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installed Kee audio speakers, driver side door still not working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Kee audio speakers, driver side door still not working?

I need to know what to look at next. I bought the Kee Audio speaker set, and the driver side speaker still produces verry little sound, almost none at all.

Kind of what I was afraid of. What do I look at next? Head Unit or Amp? Where is the Amp & how do I check it?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem in a truck not to long ago. We replaced the HU and it worked fine.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:50 PM

I'd like to be able to test it first rather than throw more $ at it.

Driver side door speaker is still not working. Sound is no better than it was, and I just wasted $ on speakers.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

maybe the amp, if you have monsoon. the headunit if no monsoon, or a broken/pinched wire somewhere. I listed them in order of what i would check first
Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dave,
You should start at the HU because it is the easiest thing to check and the chain starts there. Pull the HU and start looking at the harness. Your left front speaker wires are:
1 - GRAY - left front speaker negative
2 - TAN - left front speaker positive
With the radio out of the dash but plugged in test at low volume by doing the wiggle test. Also make sure your the harness is seating properly into the radio and no pins are bent or broken. If nothing is amiss there then go the amp. It is located just forward of the spare tire on top of the wheel hump and by your stock alarms shock sensor. There is a big harness going to that as well. Same wire colors apply...gray and tan.
If neither of those 2 work then pull the door panel and check the wiring again. In this case you want to look at the connector. Take some speaker wire and connect it directly to the stock harness' connector and see if you get sound. If so the connector might be bad or you may have the polarity switched as I did this once in a Camaro. You can switch the wires. It will not hurt anything at low volume so you can test it and see.
IF all of the above fails then you may have a bad channel on the amp or a bad channel on the HU.
Let me know how it goes.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:52 PM

Thanks, I won't have time to look at it for a while. My Company is sending me to Orlando for a little over a week.

The speaker does have sound, just very little, almost like the sound of a headphone set on loud volume.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

swap monsoon head units with a buddy of yours, 5 minute job, might be that.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

I know this sounds crazy, but double check the fade, balance. Sadly, I've seen people do this before. Also check the speaker wire and make sure there's a good contact.