Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Defroster switch...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The circuit breaker is in the fuse panel on the left end of the dash with the other fuses. It looks like a small silver box plugged into a fuse socket.
Got it... thanks!

I just replaced the breaker with the fuse and the defrost button still doesn't light up. I'm assuming it's the switch?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by GotGrunt
Got it... thanks!

I just replaced the breaker with the fuse and the defrost button still doesn't light up. I'm assuming it's the switch?
Probably the relay. See post #28 in this thread.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Probably the relay. See post #28 in this thread.
I guess I'm gonna try to find a used HVAC unit since all I really need is the relay

Last edited by GotGrunt; 04-21-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem with my 2002 camaro. Checked and replaced fuse and tried a circuit breaker, nothing changed. push rear defogger button, hear something click. removed the heater and A/C control panel tried another one from a junk yard. no good. So I removed the rear defogger circuit board and switch assy. powered it up and started tracing the current flow, looks like the relay is bad, you hear it click. But I think the contacts inside are bad. I was able to remove it from the circuitboard, found the relay on line for $2.50, I ordered 2. I will let you know how I make out, when I install it.Ray
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ray396
I have the same problem with my 2002 camaro. Checked and replaced fuse and tried a circuit breaker, nothing changed. push rear defogger button, hear something click. removed the heater and A/C control panel tried another one from a junk yard. no good. So I removed the rear defogger circuit board and switch assy. powered it up and started tracing the current flow, looks like the relay is bad, you hear it click. But I think the contacts inside are bad. I was able to remove it from the circuitboard, found the relay on line for $2.50, I ordered 2. I will let you know how I make out, when I install it.Ray
Ray, so how'd it go? It looks like I'm having the same issue. I just replaced the breaker with a new one, but no dice. I suppose I will try a fuse next, and failing that, I might have to start looking for a relay. Do you have a website/part number where you found yours for $2.50?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Hi, It worked out fine, fixed my nephews car and fixed the other one and sold it. I have check where I got the relay from. I have look for the paper work. If and when I find it I will let you know.Ray
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Hi, I can not find it. What you have to do is remove the A/C heater control panel, then remove the circuit board for the rear defogger. Then get the number off the white relay on the board, and google it. Thats what I did.Ray
Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

So, This seems to be a reoccurring issue. In my fuse panel, the 30amp fuse I installed instead of the breaker for the power seats and rear window defogger keeps melting. I dont have power seats, so I know it is only the rear window defogger giving me the problems.

What gives? This is the second fuse that is melting due to this issue!

#12 in this pic

The fuses. The really effed up one was the first to go, two years ago. Now the second one has signs of boiling
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Melting (but not blowing) fuses have two common causes - really cheaply made fuses or some kind of bad connection at the fuse socket causing excessive resistance. Try using a brand-name fuse (Bussman or Littlefuse) and cleaning the contacts in the fuse panel. Also make sure the fuse socket contacts are making a tight connection with the blades of the fuse.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Melting (but not blowing) fuses have two common causes - really cheaply made fuses or some kind of bad connection at the fuse socket causing excessive resistance. Try using a brand-name fuse (Bussman or Littlefuse) and cleaning the contacts in the fuse panel. Also make sure the fuse socket contacts are making a tight connection with the blades of the fuse.
Ok, Ill have a look at this and report back. This isn't a common issue when replacing the breaker with a fuse??
Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by FirebirdStud
Ok, Ill have a look at this and report back. This isn't a common issue when replacing the breaker with a fuse??
No, not at all. There is no reason for a fuse to cause any more heat than a circuit breaker.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

No, not at all. There is no reason for a fuse to cause any more heat than a circuit breaker.
I looked at the fuse holder. It looks clean. There is no rust or anything. The fuse makes good contact with the fuse holder.

I tried to take an ohm reading of the two terminals, but it kept saying open circuit. Is this normal? I measured the radio one and got a reading, as well as one other random fuse.

I recognize that in order to work the defog button needs to be pushed, so measuring the resistance might not be helpful with this circuit.

What else can I look for?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Angry

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Just move to Texas and you won't have to use your defroster - LOL. I can't even tell you the last time I turned mine on, maybe 8-9 years ago.
It's 2014. I'm in College Station and Houston and it's freezing.

And it's March.

Quick Reply: Defroster switch...