Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Two Monsoon questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Two Monsoon questions

Hey all, I got my 99 Formula about a month ago now, and I'd like to get something so I can use my iPod with my stereo. Normally I'd just get a new HU, but I'm not going to bother replacing the Monsoon unit.

So....my 2 questions are:

1) What would you recommend to send a signal to the stereo? I know you can get wires that plug into the back of the HU, wires that go to the antennae, and FM modulators. I don't want to spend more than like $50 to listen to my iPod in the car, so the cheaper the solution the better. I guess I'd spend a bit more than $50 if I knew it was going to make a big difference with sound.....maybe..... Amazon has some cool things that plug directly into the power outlet and use it for a mount for the iPod, but with a M6 that's right in front of 6th gear, or right in front of the hand brake.

2) Now, the radio sound quality is pretty good, but some stations, even fairly local stations pick up some static. What would you recommend for a booster?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not particularly fond of FM modulators. If you go that route, the direct wired type would be best. I had one and while it still wasn't great, it was much better than an iTrip or other wireless modulator. Plus, you have to deal with interference and intermod from other FM stations. Also, the splitter you would need for a wired modulator would introduce more signal loss, so that would be counterproductive for your second goal.

For the best quality, I would use one of the many CD changer adapters. I was about to go that route with my 1996 Firebird, but I found out that it had the "Premium Sound", not the monsoon, so I was out of luck there. I just decided to replace the head unit with an Alpine IDA-X100. Hope that helps!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound quality always suffers when using an FM modulator. They are the easiest way to hook up a MP3 player of other device like that but they also have the poorest sound quality.
As stated the disc changer adapter is a good way to go because it is a direct connection. I don't think all stock radios will accept this however.
Unfortunatley the stock radio is very poor as far as sound goes and one of the best upgrades to that is to replace it with aftermarket. This also makes it much easier to use periferal devices. One of my personal favorites is the USB input because it allows you to use a USB drive directly into the unit making an MP3 player or iPod unnecessary since it plays directly from the USB stick. Also makes it easy to change playlists from your PC or even getting music from a friend to add on and listen to on your way home.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, thanks for the advice so far. I was possibly thinking this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P410...tab=review#tab, but I'm not sure yet. Will it really make that big of a difference from my stock receiver? I know that an iPod/USB will directly work with this, and it also will work with my steering wheel controls. Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound from an aftermarket receiver is more processed and cleaner so yes it makes a larger difference in overall sound. It will not work with your steering controls without using a PAC adapter. Any aftermarket stereo will work with your steering controls for the most part but the PAC adapter is necessary to make it work.
I have that unit (P4100UB) as well (same price) and can do the install gear included as well. The PAC adapter I have for the Pioneer units is $56.00.