Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why do I keep burning my fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Why do I keep burning my fuse?

Its the 10 amp (red) fuse in the driver side door panel. Every time I change it a few days later I have no speedometer or tack and the gauges go dead. I know what the problem is it is a burnt fuse 10 amp, but why does it burn and not stay useable frustrating please help thanks.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know why my guage lights keep dying, why the fuse keeps burning out. It is the red one 10 amp?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the terminals where the fuse plugs in. sometimes if the connection is loose the terminal will heat up and make the fuse blow. put a new fuse in and see if it gets hot. check if the fuse you took out last time is discolored, heat will cause it to discolor, a short in the circuit will cause the fuse to blow faster (with no discoloring). check it out, and let me know.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. CPG Trans Am
check the terminals where the fuse plugs in. sometimes if the connection is loose the terminal will heat up and make the fuse blow. put a new fuse in and see if it gets hot. check if the fuse you took out last time is discolored, heat will cause it to discolor, a short in the circuit will cause the fuse to blow faster (with no discoloring). check it out, and let me know.
Well the last time I check the blown fuse it was not discolored just the center piece was burned. When I put the fuse in there is a lil looseness then tightness when it sits. This is the third fuse that has blown?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Which fuse is it? (circuit name not "red 10 amp"... all 10 amp fuses are red)

Have you added or modified any wiring in the car? Changed stereo equipment? Added gauges? Installed HID headlights?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

No it is the gauges speed ometer tachometer oil temp gauge, when this fuse blows all those gauges dont work. The engine has been rebuilt and as far as I know the connections were installed correctlly when they pulled the engine. As far as today it works but I am goin to go out now and double check the connections. I can tell you that when I put in the fuse there is some looseness but tighten up when fully pushed in.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

This is one of those cases where it is very important to know what aftermarket accessories have been installed in the car. Nine times out of ten a wiring problem (especially fuses blowing regularly) is caused by something added to the car - not by factory wiring.

The GAUGES fuse protects the instrument panel gauges, the BCM, the DRL module, and the traction control switch. All of the wiring from the fuse is pink. Many hackers say "tap into a pink wire for power" so it wouldn't be surprising to find some accessory causing your blown fuses.

Now, it's always possible that there is something wrong with a factory device such as the BCM causing the blown fuses but I'd be willing to bet it's something added or modified (such as some kind of DRL disable modification). Please let us know what non-factory items have been installed in your car.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
This is one of those cases where it is very important to know what aftermarket accessories have been installed in the car. Nine times out of ten a wiring problem (especially fuses blowing regularly) is caused by something added to the car - not by factory wiring.

The GAUGES fuse protects the instrument panel gauges, the BCM, the DRL module, and the traction control switch. All of the wiring from the fuse is pink. Many hackers say "tap into a pink wire for power" so it wouldn't be surprising to find some accessory causing your blown fuses.

Now, it's always possible that there is something wrong with a factory device such as the BCM causing the blown fuses but I'd be willing to bet it's something added or modified (such as some kind of DRL disable modification). Please let us know what non-factory items have been installed in your car.
Other than the mods in my sig nothing else has been done, except car being tuned by hp tuners. I dont know what else to say? Everything else is stock. I have stock radio, speakers etc. car has 92,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Why do I keep burning my fuse?