Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DNX-7140 GAY Political Bullshit

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DNX-7140 GAY Political Bullshit

I just had to update my firmware on DNX-7140. Then the Garmin Firmware and it installed ECO-Ware. That tracks my carbon footprint and has a mileage game! How gay!
Next it will call Al Gore and rat me out for Longtubes and ORY.

AHHHHHHHHH
Old 11-17-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah my portable garmin has some **** like that, like i need it to remind me how much fuel i **** through
Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha, that's funny stuff.

I assume it's like the new Ford or Honda, that grows a tree based on how fuel efficient you are. I think if I had that in my car I would try to kill the tree.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

That IS gay. You'd think a company like Kenwood or Garmin would have enough of a clue to know not everyone wants that kind of crap.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Ha, that's funny stuff.

I assume it's like the new Ford or Honda, that grows a tree based on how fuel efficient you are. I think if I had that in my car I would try to kill the tree.
that is some gay ****, I'd kill myself if I bought the car
Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

I can see wanting to track gas mileage, but that's what the trip odometer is for IMHO. That carbon footprint thing is though. Why anyone would want that is beyond me.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, no tree growing on the Garmin, but still have to look at the fact my trip to work produced 59 lbs of CO2?
I wonder if thats enough to re-carbonate those 2 liter bottles no one buys cause they taste flat when they are only half empty. Hmmm.
I suppose I'm to log on to one of Al Gore's websites now and send him money for carbon credits to offset my selfish consumption. They will plant a tree with .001% of the money I send them and donate 49.9995 to ACORN and put the rest in the gas tank of his Jumbo Jet!
If only I wasn't a dumb little sheep, I would just shoot a cow, scratch that, kill a cow with a sharp object (wouldn't want to be a accused of being a crazy God Fearing/Gun toting Right Wing {TeaBagger}. That would reduce the CO2 admissions (cows fart alot) and provide meat to feed the family but would I be able to cook the meat without heat/fire. Suppose I could just dry the strips with salt in the sun. That would make me a hero because I would be using the new administrations alternative energy program to get off of planet destroying fossil fuels.
There I feel so much better, I think I will pass a Prius on the way home.

Yea, I know too politcal, just look at it as free satire!

Ed
Old 11-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Assuming that it is the same feature as the ecoRoute option on Garmin Nuvi GPS systems, it is entirely optional - if you don't like it, don't use it. Imagine Garmin's surprise that their software update might disappoint a muscle car enthusiast driving a car that the head unit isn't designed to fit. I suppose they should remove the feature even if hundreds of soccer moms might like having it in their hybrid minivans.

In any case, this is a political discussion (satire... whatever) that doesn't belong in a technical forum. SSU (seatstaysup.com) would be a better place to carry on this discussion.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=WhiteBird00;12517632]Imagine Garmin's surprise that their software update might disappoint a muscle car enthusiast driving a car that the head unit isn't designed to fit. QUOTE]

I never intended to comment to Garmin. and I would suspect that they would be grateful that the product that they sold their product too has even a wider distribution than intented. = more total sales.

As far as technical: I tried the Eco game out on the way home and noticed that it calulates environmental points based on accel rate/ deaccel rate and contant speed. Now contant speed assigns the most points to speed if your travelling at the speed limit.
So my tech question is I hypothesize (sic) that:
You should have to enter drag coeffiecent, final drive ratio and maybe manifold vacuum (too represent load).
Speed limit adherence hardly seems like economy or ecology.

Ed
Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
As far as technical: I tried the Eco game out on the way home and noticed that it calulates environmental points based on accel rate/ deaccel rate and contant speed. Now contant speed assigns the most points to speed if your travelling at the speed limit.
So my tech question is I hypothesize (sic) that:
You should have to enter drag coeffiecent, final drive ratio and maybe manifold vacuum (too represent load).
Speed limit adherence hardly seems like economy or ecology.

Ed
You're right - if you wanted to measure fuel economy as an absolute value or as a comparison to other vehicles then coefficient of drag, engine type, weight and load, transmission type (driveline loss), and several other factors would have to be considered. But to do a relative comparison between driving sessions in the same car, those factors are either unchanging or are at the heart of the issue - you can't change the drag without redesigning the car but you can achieve better economy by unloading your trunk.

Adhering to the speed limit is not an indicator of fuel economy but maintaining a constant speed is. Each model of car has a different speed at which it is most efficient but they all are more efficient when running at a constant speed with minimal throttle than when accelerating or braking. (Actually, braking by itself is not particularly inefficient but they assume you will have to accelerate again after braking... and braking is less efficient than coasting because you're wasting energy as heat from the brakes.)

The amount of CO2 produced is directly related to fuel economy because all gasoline engines produce a relatively constant amount of CO2 per gallon of gas used (about 19.5 pounds per gallon). So you can treat the CO2 counter as just another fuel economy indicator rather than a pollution indicator.

I agree, the program is simplistic and doesn't represent real world economy. However, if one were to drive in such a way as to maximize their score, they would certainly improve their fuel economy because the basic principles are sound.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

then you should buy the pioneer radio. it will discourage you from upgrading and you'll never run into that problem! the 3.0 software update is 120 dollars and its not possible to torrent either.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

If you dont believe in the company's political bullshit. Stop buying their damn products. Personally if it was mine I would stomp the **** out of it and shove it up some tree-hugging hippies ***