Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

About to swap out my stock speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

If you have six speaker locations - two doors, two sail panels, and two hatch - then you have a Monsoon system. The base system had speakers only in the doors and sail panels. The base system and the Monsoon system were the only audio options available.

BTW, this has nothing to do with speaker impedance. It has to do with signal filtering and the proper number of channels. For example, you will find that there are four speaker wires in each door. That's because the original mid and tweeter run off separate channels from the amp. Your replacement speakers only use one channel (two wires) which means you give up half your available power. Oh, and make sure you pick the right pair of wires or you will have nothing but treble because of the high-pass filtering.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have kappas in the rear already and used the crossover that came with them and sounded way better. Should i use crossover with these too?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

If by "back" you mean the hatch area then I have no doubt that's true. The hatch speakers in Camaros get full-range signal so you can put almost any speaker there.

A crossover in the other locations won't help the situation - the signal is already filtered before it gets to your crossover.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

i never saw the monsoon box in my trunk ill look today
Old 12-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There's a photo of the Monsoon amp location in the Monsoon FAQ sticky or you can check your door sticker for option code UZ7.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i seen them b4 just never really look for it on mine. All i remember seeing is the alarm box on the wheel well
Old 12-21-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its in the trunk and its on the door LOL I just never thought it had it. Im happy it dose have it. Here mine and the ones i have put in many cars but only in doors. They even say its for my car with monsoon on best buy and crutchfeild at 2ohms. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity...&skuId=8210955

"Camaro coupes have component 6.5S 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted coaxially in the doors (they look like ordinary coax speakers but are actually wired as separate components), single voice coil 6.5S 2-ohm subs in the sail panels, and 4" 4-ohm full-range speakers in the hatch area. All eight elements are powered by the amp."

Last edited by SIC LSX; 12-21-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

They will work in the doors provided you make sure you connect them to the wires for the mid and not the tweeter. It means you will be giving up one of the two channels (half the power) but the mids get a full-range signal that will work with coaxial speakers. You could modify the speakers to separate the tweeter so it can accept the second channel. I'm not sure how well Infinity speakers take to that modification (Alpines are more common). Details on how to do that are in a thread linked in the Monsoon FAQ sticky.

However, those speakers really won't work well in the sail panels because of the low-pass filtered signal. You would be better with one of the 6.5" subs that Kee Audio offers. Or you could give up the hatch speakers and pull those wires forward to the sail panels (they get full-range signal) but then you would be giving up output channels again.

The other option is to rewire as mentioned earlier.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

im just going to take the 2 sail panel speakers back and get some subs. Thats what i wanted to begin with but couldn't get any real answers back then.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

well 2 door speakers will be in today. I have to get some audopipes for sails later
Old 12-26-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

well 2 door speakers are in and wow! It sounded ok be for but man it sounds bad *** now! Way way louder i can turn the base up a little. These door speakers were toast! half of the cone was missing! LOL LOL. Sail panels next Only thing that was weird was it only used 2 wires from factory side of harness. i made sure i used the right ones. Oh well i guess i can add some tweeters down the road on my doors from the 2 other wires that for going to center tweeter on factory speakers.

Last edited by SIC LSX; 12-26-2009 at 01:56 PM.