Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installing a pioneer f90bt this weekend, few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing a pioneer f90bt this weekend, few ?'s

I will be installing a pioneer f90bt double din unit this weekend. Just a few questions:
1) Where is a good place to run the antennae for the GPS?
2) If I do the bypass and connect the mute/green parking brake/ground wires, do I need to connect anything to the parking brake switch?
3) If I don't connect the VSS wire will I notice much of a difference?
4) Should I just pick up some angle iron and custom do the mounts or does anyone sell a decent set?
5) From the car radio harness, should I connect the brown parking light input or the gray dash light dimmer input to the pioneer orange/white lighting switch terminal to make the unit's lights work correctly with the car?

Last edited by 99bluefirebird; 12-17-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Some people (including me and Whitebird00) put it on the oval metal plate under the driver-side of the upper dash pad.

Here is a pic of that panel on Whitebird00'd where he put is Sirius antenna:

I put mine on the flat spot in the middle of that panel.

Here is my Pioneer AVIC-D3 install:
Its a Double-Din Nav headunit.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...installed.html
Old 12-17-2009, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

To do the bypass on the pioneer you must ground two wires, the parking brake hookup and another wire that will have to be relocated in the pioneer harness. Complete directions including pics can be found on the Avic411 forums. Nothing will be hooked to the parking brake if you do the bypass.

I have have seen mixed opinions on the importance of the vss wire. I hooked up mine, but it is a lot simpler in the camaro.

I doubt that you will be able to find mounts since the F-bodies where not intended for 2din units. I made mine out of a couple of 3"x5" simpson strongtie plates I picked up at Home Depot. I used a store display vise to bend them into L shapes then drilled and dremeled them into shape at home.

Don't remember the color, but it is the wire that powers up when the light comes on, not the dimming one. Unit automaticly dims when the lights come on. You have to set screen brightness in the unit.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99bluefirebird
I will be installing a pioneer f90bt double din unit this weekend. Just a few questions:
1) Where is a good place to run the antennae for the GPS?
2) If I do the bypass and connect the mute/green parking brake/ground wires, do I need to connect anything to the parking brake switch?
3) If I don't connect the VSS wire will I notice much of a difference?
4) Should I just pick up some angle iron and custom do the mounts or does anyone sell a decent set?
5) From the car radio harness, should I connect the brown parking light input or the gray dash light dimmer input to the pioneer orange/white lighting switch terminal to make the unit's lights work correctly with the car?
1. I mounted mine to the inside of the car under the headliner near the A pillar
2. I heard you have issues with that since the unit thinks its moving while the car has its ebrake on. I kno it voids your warantyim not sure I did mine the right way .
3. I didnt connect mine so i dont think so.
4. i used L brakets for rein forcing a corner i think they were 2 inch ones it worked perfetly you just need to make one cut . I may have pics
5. I belive I used the grey one.

hope this helps if you have any ? just pm me guud luck !!!

Quick Reply: Installing a pioneer f90bt this weekend, few ?'s