Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are my options?

I have a L7 8" solo baric sub and was thinking about putting it in a non ported stealthbox. I was told it will not sound very good in a stealthbox, because they are not ported. I just dont want take away the t top storage if at all possible. What are my options, or would the stealthbox work fine? If anyone has pics of their setups that would be very helpful also.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will sound fine, but not be all that loud. To make bass, you have to have box space, and porting will just make it more efficent and louder/lower. (depending on the port). You can't have a small box and expect a lot of bass, especially sealed, but that doesn't mean it will sound bad. It should be fine in a stealth box, but if you really want to boom, you need to build in the rear well and port. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

The solobarics are actually designed to operate very well in a small sealed enclosure. In fact, that woofer calls for .33 to .75 cubic feet. A stealth box usually runs between .4 and .7, so you will be fine. If you put 500 watts or so on it, it will sound very good.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

what type of music do you listen to? if you listen to music with alot of bass(rap) then i would go with a ported box for sure but if you dont ever listen to rap go sealed, the quality of sound will be alot better.

either way, to be honest, your best bet is find a PERSON(not a shop cause they will rape on a price) that knows what they are doing have a custom enclosure built, its makes a HUGE difference. i have about 500rms to a single 12 in my blazer and it ripples the fawk out of the roof because its in a PROPER enclosure.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

I got the sub, and as it turns out its a 10 inch L7, I do only listen to rock/metal. Im just worried if I do go with a stealth enclosure it isnt gonna be big enough. The stealth says it is about .6 cu ft, and Kicker says a 10" L7 needs .66 to 1.0 for a sealed box.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bowtie_racer
I got the sub, and as it turns out its a 10 inch L7, I do only listen to rock/metal. Im just worried if I do go with a stealth enclosure it isnt gonna be big enough. The stealth says it is about .6 cu ft, and Kicker says a 10" L7 needs .66 to 1.0 for a sealed box.
i would go with a sealed box for that tight punchy double bass

you would be fine with the steath box but make sure put 500-600 watts RMS at the sub. do you know if the sub is a 2ohm or 4 ohm? that will make a big difference in picking your amp.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CH@Dbee

you would be fine with the steath box but make sure put 500-600 watts RMS at the sub. do you know if the sub is a 2ohm or 4 ohm? that will make a big difference in picking your amp.
I completely agree. Sealed is definitely the way to go for punchy double bass.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well u should run a minimum of .66 cube for an L7, with ideal being around .8 or so I would say. Another issue u will run into is will the square 10" sub physically fit the face of the stealth box.

I know the subthump box is .66 cube si it would prly work ok pending it physically fits, i would plan on running 600 watts or so maybe more

me personally i would build a box that could either sit on the floor of the ttop well when ttops arent being used (ie winter) or sit up on the rear deck when ttops are being used. I have a buddy who does just this for 2 10's

random. i am out in kansas city this week for work, if you would like to get together and talk stereos or something shoot me a pm
Old 12-29-2009, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

It is a 4 ohm, which brings more confusion on what type of amp that I need to run. I know very little about them. I dont want to spend a ton on one, but I dont want it too underpowered. Is there a way to run it at 2 ohms or will that hurt performance? Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
well u should run a minimum of .66 cube for an L7, with ideal being around .8 or so I would say. Another issue u will run into is will the square 10" sub physically fit the face of the stealth box.

I know the subthump box is .66 cube si it would prly work ok pending it physically fits, i would plan on running 600 watts or so maybe more

me personally i would build a box that could either sit on the floor of the ttop well when ttops arent being used (ie winter) or sit up on the rear deck when ttops are being used. I have a buddy who does just this for 2 10's

random. i am out in kansas city this week for work, if you would like to get together and talk stereos or something shoot me a pm
Subthump makes one for the 10" L7.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

It is a 4 ohm, which brings more confusion on what type of amp that I need to run. I know very little about them. I dont want to spend a ton on one, but I dont want it too underpowered. Is there a way to run it at 2 ohms or will that hurt performance? Any suggestions?
it is a dual voice coil sub so you can run it at 2ohm. right now the best bang for your buck as far as amps are the MB Quart Discuss amps. they dont fluff up the power they make, what they say they do they really do, unlike sony and other cheap amps out there.

i would suggest this amp....

MB Quart DSC 1000.1

if you look at the power ratings you will see it does 500x1 at 2ohms

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-30-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get an amp that will do well at 2 ohms. These amps are the best bang-for-buck amps out there:

MB Quart DSC1500.1D and Audiopipe AQX1600.1

They will both do rated power and push your sub just fine.

BTW, Im not in any way a huge fan of either brands, but the AQX series Audiopipes are made in a completely different factory, have a completely different board, and are actually really good amps. They are built like a tank. I have personally burped an AQX3500.1D at .175 ohms many times and run one daily at .5 ohms without any problems whatsoever. One of the best budget amps IMO. As far as everything else Audiopipe... that is a different story. lol
Old 12-29-2009, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

I was actually looking at this one. What do you all think of MTX? Any experiences?

MTX JackHammer JH600

Amazon actually has it for 140.00 I think. Crutchfield has it on sale for 170.00

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-30-2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That amp will do fine. But I think you would be happier with one of the 2 I posted above. They will give you room to expand if you ever decide to add another sub, and both MB Quart and the AQX will do rated power, clean and unclipped.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98camaro28
That amp will do fine. But I think you would be happier with one of the 2 I posted above. They will give you room to expand if you ever decide to add another sub, and both MB Quart and the AQX will do rated power, clean and unclipped.
Ok thanks! I appreciate all the help from everyone.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its 4 ohm Dual voice coil, then you can wire the coils in parallel and run it at a 2ohm load
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
if its 4 ohm Dual voice coil, then you can wire the coils in parallel and run it at a 2ohm load
it is a dual voice coil sub so you can run it at 2ohm. right now the best bang for your buck as far as amps are the MB Quart Discuss amps. they dont fluff up the power they make, what they say they do they really do, unlike sony and other cheap amps out there.

i would suggest this amp....

MB Quart DSC 1000.1

if you look at the power ratings you will see it does 500x1 at 2ohms
Originally Posted by 98camaro28
Just get an amp that will do well at 2 ohms. These amps are the best bang-for-buck amps out there:

MB Quart DSC1500.1D and Audiopipe AQX1600.1

They will both do rated power and push your sub just fine.

BTW, Im not in any way a huge fan of either brands, but the AQX series Audiopipes are made in a completely different factory, have a completely different board, and are actually really good amps. They are built like a tank. I have personally burped an AQX3500.1D at .175 ohms many times and run one daily at .5 ohms without any problems whatsoever. One of the best budget amps IMO. As far as everything else Audiopipe... that is a different story. lol