Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

tone and volume? aftermarket head unit or monsoon amps to power door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010 | 04:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default tone and volume? aftermarket head unit or monsoon amps to power door speakers

I Just put in some infiniti 6022i speakers in the door to replace fubar'd factory speakers(previous owner blew them up)
I'm now wondering if it would be better for me to bypass the monsoon amp for the door speakers and the rear and only use the monsoon for the sail panel subs or to just leave it all connected to the monsoon system

p.s.
I think they blew up the sail subs too..cause there isnt much low end in the car...gonna try to test them once it warms up a few degrees here in a few days
Old 01-10-2010 | 06:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts

The Monsoon amp isn't particularly powerful but it's better than head unit alone. Why give up power if you don't have to? Assuming you have a Camaro, you've already given up one amplified channel in each door by replacing the factory components with coaxial speakers.
Old 01-10-2010 | 07:04 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Monsoon amp isn't particularly powerful but it's better than head unit alone. Why give up power if you don't have to? Assuming you have a Camaro, you've already given up one amplified channel in each door by replacing the factory components with coaxial speakers.

yeah..I really had no choice but to replace that blown up **** that was already going on in the door...

so should I power the front speakers from the head unit or the monsoon?
which has more power?
where are the factory front speakers crossed over at on the low end?
Old 01-10-2010 | 07:26 PM
8 Second Club

and by the way...
the monsoon stereo doesnt filter out the high end going to the front midrage driver... so you really arent losing anything by wiring it to the monsoon without the tweeter channel...
Old 01-11-2010 | 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts

The Monsoon amp produces about 240 watts RMS into eight channels or about 30 watts per channel (although there is some speculation that the channels don't all get the same amount of power). The head unit produces probably about 12 watts RMS per channel into four channels so the amp puts out at least twice as much power to each channel. As I said, it's not a lot of power but it's more than the head unit so I would keep it. There will be no noticeable effect on distortion levels because the amp produces pretty clean signal - it's the factory HU that produces the distortion.

Yes, the mid channel to the doors is unfiltered full-range signal so you're not giving up anything in the frequency range. But you are giving up a possible 30 watts per door in power by not using all channels. It is possible to modify those coaxial speakers to run the tweeter and mid on separate channels like components.
Old 01-11-2010 | 07:29 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Monsoon amp produces about 240 watts RMS into eight channels or about 30 watts per channel (although there is some speculation that the channels don't all get the same amount of power). The head unit produces probably about 12 watts RMS per channel into four channels so the amp puts out at least twice as much power to each channel. As I said, it's not a lot of power but it's more than the head unit so I would keep it. There will be no noticeable effect on distortion levels because the amp produces pretty clean signal - it's the factory HU that produces the distortion.

Yes, the mid channel to the doors is unfiltered full-range signal so you're not giving up anything in the frequency range. But you are giving up a possible 30 watts per door in power by not using all channels. It is possible to modify those coaxial speakers to run the tweeter and mid on separate channels like components.
theres no advantage to keeping the tweeter channel if the low end channel is full range
all you have done is add high end to already existing high end.
if you have a driver that is inefficient like the factory ones...then having some high end in the woofer(while it may only reach to 4k-ish effectively) is just going to allow that overlap to occur and cause phase issues and tonal issues whrever that tweeter starts.
filtered with a crossover on the speaker itself will result in a cleaner signal any way you look at it

I work as an audio Engineer for a living... I fully understand how audio works...probably in more detail than most people on here...

I dont need 30 watts of low and 45ish watts of everything the tweeter can carry.