Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Give me your opinion for a new component set

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Focal. I have them in my doors running off stock amp and head unit, and they are fantastic. My dad has their top of the line home theater speakers which kick ***. They put the same technology, parts, and build quality into there car stuff. My car is a 2002 Collector Edition T/A. One thing I have learned is to let speakers break in, once they do they will sound better.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wildbird02
Hmmm, never heard of Rainbow. Will have to look them up. I did not say anything about an 80 Hz crossover. The component set will be performing in the entire hearing spectrum (only using the crossover that comes with the set). I just am not as concerned with the low frequency reproduction with 1200 -1800W pushing two 12's. With the slower bass in Hip-Hop, you won't hardly hear the components over the subs at those frequencies, only in a Rock song with faster bass at those low frequencies.
*The thing is a speaker that has weak bass reproduction below 80hz will usually also have weaker bass output above the frequency. So even if you have subs handling everything below 80hz you still have weaker upper bass (above 80hz).
FYI, I just used/picked 80hz for an example.

*(Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old 03-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up a small amount of Hertz product line, Boston, and MMATS. My 2 favorites are still the Bostons and the CDT's that I've had in my car. I am waiting to do a new project though but I am selling my T/A first. I have a little bit of work to do on it before I sell it though.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Just picked up a small amount of Hertz product line, Boston, and MMATS. My 2 favorites are still the Bostons and the CDT's that I've had in my car. I am waiting to do a new project though but I am selling my T/A first. I have a little bit of work to do on it before I sell it though.
So what you replacing the T/A with, a 2010 Camaro SS ?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Teching In

I was able to hit up some local audio shops this weekend and hear some component sets. Most of the shops around here do not have a lot of high end demo units up and running, but I did get to hear Focal and Hertz. The Focal K2 Power's sound awesome and are a great acoustical speaker, but I didn't see them under $1100 on the internet. The Focal Polyglass sound really good and can handle some strong mids. Hertz HV165XL's also sounded like a good balanced component. I would like to hear the Focal Polyglass and Hertz HV165XL's side by side. I think they would be a close match.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01 Sunset SS
+1 for Focal. I have them in my doors running off stock amp and head unit, and they are fantastic. My dad has their top of the line home theater speakers which kick ***. They put the same technology, parts, and build quality into there car stuff. My car is a 2002 Collector Edition T/A. One thing I have learned is to let speakers break in, once they do they will sound better.
What Focal set do you have?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Which Hertz line are you comparing to? What did you like better about the Bostons and CDT's? What type of tweet do you typically like?

As you know, I'm almost sold on the Hertz MLK165's, but you keep my interest peaked on the CDT's.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thaar
Which Hertz line are you comparing to? What did you like better about the Bostons and CDT's? What type of tweet do you typically like?

As you know, I'm almost sold on the Hertz MLK165's, but you keep my interest peaked on the CDT's.
Wow, I would like to hear the Mille set you have. How much did the MLK165's run?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Don't have them yet, just have heard them. IIRC, they retail at $1k, but I have a friend who is a dealer so I get a pretty good deal on them. If you can find a Hertz dealer, go listen to them. I've also heard that the HSK 165XL's are amazing, and quite a bit cheaper than the MLK's, but have yet to audition them.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Don't have them yet, just have heard them. IIRC, they retail at $1k, but I have a friend who is a dealer so I get a pretty good deal on them. If you can find a Hertz dealer, go listen to them. I've also heard that the HSK 165XL's are amazing, and quite a bit cheaper than the MLK's, but have yet to audition them.
The dealer only had the HSK 165XL's and ESK 165L, no Mille's. The HSK 165XL's ran for about $550 and sounded a lot better than the 165L's. So your buddy could give me a good deal on those Mille's then haha.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Focal speakers are a really good quailty speaker but they come with a hefty price tag. You can look into a brand called Rainbow speakers, they are handmade and very nice peice. I did not have the money to buy something like that, so I ended up with Boston Aqustic speakers with a seperate amp and the sounds way better than stock
Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
So what you replacing the T/A with, a 2010 Camaro SS ?
Actually I'm looking at a GMC Typhoon probably or MAYBE a GN. 2010 Camaro is a little out of my price range for a toy right now.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

I was looking at Hertz's MLK165 and the ESK165 just as a comparison to different price ranges in the Hertz line.
I liked the midbass response and clarity at high volume on the Bostons and CDT. They could get really loud but still maintain clarity. No harness from the tweeters either. Just really good crisp highs. Plus the silk tweeters always sounds a bit sweeter to me then metal.
I can do a great deal on a set of last years CDT ES-062i. The only difference is that the new ones are black.

Quick Reply: Give me your opinion for a new component set