Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Give me your opinion for a new component set

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me your opinion for a new component set

I am looking to redo my entire audio system except my Pioneer HU. Right now I am focusing on which component set to get for the front doors. I plan on having an amp w/65-75W for each set. I want Awsome highs and mids. I am not really concerned of it's quality below 80 Hz (because I will be getting two 12's w/over 600W each) but I do want them to be able to hit below 80 Hz.

Brands I have been looking at are: Ifinity, Alpine, and Focal. I want to hear about any other top of the line brands if you know of them. I have always been a fan of Ifinity (but have heard their Kappa series highs can get a little ruff when using enough power). This Focal set would be awesome, but I don't want to pay $4,300 for them. haha http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_0...owAll=N&tp=106

Give me your feedback.

One question I am pondering is should I put a component set in the back (mid in the sail panel and tweeter beside the 4" in the rear). What do you guys think? Would that really make a huge difference in quality?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look at JBL line. Also look up KEE AUDIO to see what he has. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 02-23-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Regardless of what components you get make sure you do a good job sound deadening in side the doors and in the sail panels to get the best sound from the speakers.
I found that components in the sailpanels IMO sound best with the tweeters disconnected (no tweeters).

So what's your budget for speakers?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Regardless of what components you get make sure you do a good job sound deadening in side the doors and in the sail panels to get the best sound from the speakers.
I found that components in the sailpanels IMO sound best with the tweeters disconnected (no tweeters).

So what's your budget for speakers?
Yes, I was planning on sound deadening the entire car and do the audio system install at the same time while it's tore apart. That's why I am choosing speakers now.

My budget is very flexible, but as you know about any audio equipment, there is always a more expensive piece of equipment. I would like to stay under $500 for the front component set, because I will still have to buy an amp to push them.

It sounds like CDT is a very good brand, but there are a ton of sets and I don't think anyone demo's them anwhere close to South Dakota.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

I've been happy with MB Quart for a while now. The bass from them isn't mind blowing but that's the job of a subwoofer anyway. Very detailed and clear sound.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get you a stellar deal on a nice CDT component set. The JBL's are also nice. I carry Infinity but like the fore mentioned much better. Infinity's seemd to have a much harsher tweeter and lacked alot fo the midbass the others put out.
I was in my Trans Am today....haven't driven it in awhile....and the CDT midbass in the doors were bumping. I had forgotten how hard they hit. It's been a while since I cranked up the stereo and let her rip. I was listening to Joe Walsh's Confessor among several other things. I currently have the same speaker that is in the $229.00 deal in my doors...just in a carbon fiber coned version. On aftermarket power they really hit.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I can get you a stellar deal on a nice CDT component set. The JBL's are also nice. I carry Infinity but like the fore mentioned much better. Infinity's seemd to have a much harsher tweeter and lacked alot fo the midbass the others put out.
I was in my Trans Am today....haven't driven it in awhile....and the CDT midbass in the doors were bumping. I had forgotten how hard they hit. It's been a while since I cranked up the stereo and let her rip. I was listening to Joe Walsh's Confessor among several other things. I currently have the same speaker that is in the $229.00 deal in my doors...just in a carbon fiber coned version. On aftermarket power they really hit.
Would there be anywhere within a few hours of Sioux Falls, SD that I could hear a pair of those? Not sure who carries CDT in store for a demo.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Focal 165KF ($500), Image Dynamics-XS-65 ($480), Morel Dotech Ovation Comp 6 ($450), Diamond Audio HEX S600s ($370), Rainbow CMX 265 ($360), Alpine SPX-17PRO ($350)
I'd recommend CDT Mid/mid bass speakers for the sailpanels.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 02-24-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: edit recommendations
Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

CDT is a very small company so it's hard to find places that have them.
I have yet to find a person who hasn't liked them though! PM me and I can see what I can do for you!!
I can beat any listed price on CDT product with significant savings.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Here are some reviews I found.

http://www.bestcovery.com/best-mains...speaker-system
- Not sure how much I trust this one though. It doesn't state any statistical comparisons.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfe...son/index.html
- This one is cool, because they acually tested each on and showed an overlayed graph of each one's response. Too bad they didn't do a review on some mainstream components.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

Here's one for the CDT HD-62 comp set compared to the Infinity KAPPA Perfect 6.1. They also threw in the CL-61 comp set which is CDT's entry level but still better then alot of box store brands top of the line.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/subwoo...t-hd-62-a.html
Old 02-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Focal 165KF ($500), Image Dynamics-XS-65 ($480), Morel Dotech Ovation Comp 6 ($450), Diamond Audio HEX S600s ($370), Rainbow CMX 265 ($360), Alpine SPX-17PRO ($350)
I'd recommend CDT Mid/mid bass speakers for the sailpanels.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.
I'd add the Hertz HSK-165's to that list as well. Maybe even the HAT Legatia line, though I have yet to hear a set in person. Out of those, the Morels, ID's and Hertz would be at the top of my list, in no particular order.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

i just bought some cdt's for the sail panels .
Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

And to note, I've never heard CDT's, but many people rave about them. Plus Ian at Kee is a great guy to work with.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hands down Boston Acoustic,great price and awsome sound.

As for running componets in the back,I would you'll get a clean sound with no muff(like 2 way or 3 way 6x9's)

I'm aslo a big fan of Arc audio,but a lil pricey...
Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

I used to run the Bostons and I also liked them alot. I was in fact very pleased with them for midbass and crisp highs. The only reason I got rid of them was that I blew one up. That was when I decided to ry the CDT's. I had never heard them or heard OF them before. They were recommended to me by another car audio guy who recommended CDT and Focal to me. Went with the lessor known company....which I was not a dealer for them at that time so everything I bought was at full price like anyone else....was extremely happy with them. That's when I tried another set of the CL series with the carbon fiber cone and have had them in there ever since. I have beat the heck out of them and they keep right on rolling with great sound. I would say on par with the Bostons with more clarity on the high volume spectrum. To date I've used the CL-61, CL-62, and the CL-62CF which are currently in there now. I am itching to try the HD-62's and have a set of ES-62i components sitting right behind me. I just haven't felt the need to do anything further at this point to my T/A because it sounds incredible as is.
I am still debating selling my T/A with the audio system in it and doing another project which will have all the newest CDT gear in it.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I used to run the Bostons and I also liked them alot. I was in fact very pleased with them for midbass and crisp highs. The only reason I got rid of them was that I blew one up. That was when I decided to ry the CDT's. I had never heard them or heard OF them before. They were recommended to me by another car audio guy who recommended CDT and Focal to me. Went with the lessor known company....which I was not a dealer for them at that time so everything I bought was at full price like anyone else....was extremely happy with them. That's when I tried another set of the CL series with the carbon fiber cone and have had them in there ever since. I have beat the heck out of them and they keep right on rolling with great sound. I would say on par with the Bostons with more clarity on the high volume spectrum. To date I've used the CL-61, CL-62, and the CL-62CF which are currently in there now. I am itching to try the HD-62's and have a set of ES-62i components sitting right behind me. I just haven't felt the need to do anything further at this point to my T/A because it sounds incredible as is.
I am still debating selling my T/A with the audio system in it and doing another project which will have all the newest CDT gear in it.
Any dealers in Cali?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rainbow CS 265 X-plain Pro. Good sound quality, 8mm of Xmax, and very low profile. Also, you say you're not concerned with sub-80Hz reproduction. Change your mind. You should want to run as much bass from your fronts as possible. Also, an 80Hz crossover does NOT mean that your fronts won't be reproducing sub-80Hz content.

/thread
Old 03-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Im no stereo guru but I have a pioneer head unit, infinity amp and pioneer components in my front doors and it was a big difference from my stock setup!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Rainbow CS 265 X-plain Pro. Good sound quality, 8mm of Xmax, and very low profile. Also, you say you're not concerned with sub-80Hz reproduction. Change your mind. You should want to run as much bass from your fronts as possible. Also, an 80Hz crossover does NOT mean that your fronts won't be reproducing sub-80Hz content.

/thread
Hmmm, never heard of Rainbow. Will have to look them up. I did not say anything about an 80 Hz crossover. The component set will be performing in the entire hearing spectrum (only using the crossover that comes with the set). I just am not as concerned with the low frequency reproduction with 1200 -1800W pushing two 12's. With the slower bass in Hip-Hop, you won't hardly hear the components over the subs at those frequencies, only in a Rock song with faster bass at those low frequencies.

Quick Reply: Give me your opinion for a new component set