Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker mounts

Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me with some speaker I'm thinking about buying.
I've read that a set of Alpine SPR-17C's can fit in the door, but I can't find anything confirming they'd fit in the panel behind the front seats. Any of you have information to confirm weather or not they'd fit? Modification if needed is fine too
Old 03-19-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any help?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They'll fit, as long as the mounting depth is no greater then 3", they'll fit just fine.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

But you don't want to put them there if you have a Monsoon system. The Monsoon sail panel speakers are subs and they get only low frequency signal from the amp. Coaxial (or any full range) speakers will sound terrible there.

Please read the Monsoon FAQ for more information.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will be rewiring the entire car to run off a 5ch amp.. I know all about the electronics and wiring, just didn't know the depths.
Thanks!
Old 03-20-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In extension to that, since I'll be using RCA cables to the new amp, what can I do to the stock amp? if I just unplug it will the wiring harness allow the headunit to operate properly, since there would be be nothing on the other end?

Over view of my plan:
Clarion GPS headunit, w/ steering wheel remote; Run 1x4 channel RCA cable to the back for the speakers, and a stereo RCA for the sub channel, to a Polk 1100.5 amp; Then run wire from that (probably mounted in the center, under the back hatch) to the 4x Alpine 6.75"(SPR-17C) 2 ways; Also run a connection to the 10" Alpine in a Stealthbox, (SWR-1023D)to retain T-Top storage;
Powered by 0 Gauge, and Big 3 on 0 gauge as well.

Finally, thoughts on which side the power cable should run up? I was thinking running the power up the drivers side because the antenna is on the passenger side -Although I'm not sure on the path it takes once it gets in the cabin-, with EMI/RFI sheilding over it where the speaker wire would cross, Then all the data cables -RCA, Antenna, GPS, Turn On cable- up the passenger side, to protect it from the radiation put off by the 0 Gauge.

Any thoughts or preconceptions flawed with my plan?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To the top
Old 03-20-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stock Amp, just pull it out and wire tie the cable/connector back out of the way.
I run my power cables (1/0 gauge, and 4 gauge) down the right side of the car with no noise problems.
I also run RCA's / Signal cables on the driver side.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Stock Amp, just pull it out and wire tie the cable/connector back out of the way.
I run my power cables (1/0 gauge, and 4 gauge) down the right side of the car with no noise problems.
I also run RCA's / Signal cables on the driver side.
Do you using any shielding where the antenna wire crosses over? My old camaro had a power wire run up the passenger side, only to a 500w amp, and the noise on the radio compared to before it was installed was significant... I want to prevent that this go around.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fosnot
Do you using any shielding where the antenna wire crosses over? My old camaro had a power wire run up the passenger side, only to a 500w amp, and the noise on the radio compared to before it was installed was significant... I want to prevent that this go around.
What do you mean where the antenna wire crosses over? The antenna wire goes from the radio over the the passenger side and all the way to the back ran along with the wires for the Monsoon and the wires for the alarm shock sensor. I have mine ran to the back down the passenger side and across the back to the driver side where I have my battery relocated and the RCA wires are ran on the driver side.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fosnot
None, and remember the factory Amp has its power coming down from the same side.